Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Speeding up Massive 'Scape

I have been playing a lot of massive 'Scape lately. I love big maps, and I love huge armies. One of the biggest problems with massive 'Scape games is that they take quite a while to play. A lot of times, one or two units are out in the battle, while the other 1300 or so points worth of your army are sitting idle in the starting zone. After a few years of tweaking, I think that I have come up with some simple solutions to making your 1500+ point battles a little less time consuming. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody else has used some of these ideas before, but I haven't seen them discussed here yet.

A common map size for our big battles is 6 feet by 3. Here is an example of what a 6' by 3' map looks like:

If you were to play a game on a map this size with 1500+ point armies, it makes the game move a lot quicker if you deploy your armies on the widest sides of the map. For a while, we always deployed on the narrow ends of the map, and it took 2 or 3 rounds before the first shots were fired. If your moving across the width of the map as opposed to the length, the first shot will be fired quickly, and the game will move a lot quicker. Its a pretty simple idea, but it makes a pretty big difference.

If your playing with 1500 or more points, it is pretty difficult to have more than three or four units seeing action at one time. A lot of units spend most, if not all, of the game sitting in the starting zone doing nothing. I got a few solutions to this problem.

First, instead of playing your army as one 1500 point force, divide your force into two smaller armies. These smaller armies would have their own set of order markers, so you are actually playing two armies. It may seem difficult to handle two different sets of order markers, but once you get playing, it shouldn't be a problem. With four total armies moving around the battlefield as opposed to two, the rounds are a little longer, but the game is quicker, and much more interesting.

Another little rule tweak we made involved the X order marker. In the massive 'Scape battles, it just didn't seem like the X had as big an impact as it does in smaller games. We decided to use the X as a fourth turn. THe X could be revealed at any time, which adds some flexibility to your strategy. One regulation we made was that no more than three order markers could be on an army card at a time, which makes order marker strategy a bit tricky, but makes games a little bit quicker, and a little more fun.

My last order marker idea is still in development, but it is working out well so far. Instead of using the X as an extra turn, you use it as a tactical army shift. In games involving this mechanic, the X is still placed on an army card. When it is revealed, instead of taking a turn with the unit you reveal it on, you take a moving turn with your entire force. You can move any or all of your figures, and movement bonuses do apply. You cannot attack with any figures when this order marker is revealed, but you have the ability to position your force for a future attack, or gain the high ground against an incoming attak. This mechanic makes games pretty crazy, but allows for some really great strategy.

That is pretty much all that I can come up with at the moment. If you know of any other ways to make massive 'Scape move a little quicker, please share your ideas.

DISCLAIMER: Siege and that other guy are were not put into consideration when I developed my order marker ideas. They will just have to sit out of my massive 'Scape games.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Speeding up Massive 'Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Another little rule tweak we made involved the X order marker. In the massive 'Scape battles, it just didn't seem like the X had as big an impact as it does in smaller games. We decided to use the X as a fourth turn. THe X could be revealed at any time, which adds some flexibility to your strategy. One regulation we made was that no more than three order markers could be on an army card at a time, which makes order marker strategy a bit tricky, but makes games a little bit quicker, and a little more fun.
DISCLAIMER: Siege and that other guy are were not put into consideration when I developed my order marker ideas. They will just have to sit out of my massive 'Scape games.
I do the X as an anytime 4th marker all the time in home games, whether 2 or more players. I like the cap on 3 markers a card and usually this happens anyway though with larger armies. The X mechanic is great when you have a healer or hero with only one or two wounds on it that you would use first if you get initiative or burn up a marker you last turn if you lost initiative and he/she died.

For characters with order marker mechanics (such as Spartacus or Shiori) I houserule them and you could do the same with Siege and Evar Scarcarver). For instance, Spartacus does not have to take a turn with the X marker but any Galdiator hero can, or Shiori gets the bonus with one or more unrevealed markers (she needed help anyway) and I have been thinking about how to do the D3 ones. The easiest way is just make than when you use the X marker (houseruled as anytime turn) on them they get the bonus, so it does take away from the advantage with the houserule in that other units will not have the option of using the anytime turn marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
My last order marker idea is still in development, but it is working out well so far. Instead of using the X as an extra turn, you use it as a tactical army shift. In games involving this mechanic, the X is still placed on an army card. When it is revealed, instead of taking a turn with the unit you reveal it on, you take a moving turn with your entire force. You can move any or all of your figures, and movement bonuses do apply. You cannot attack with any figures when this order marker is revealed, but you have the ability to position your force for a future attack, or gain the high ground against an incoming attak. This mechanic makes games pretty crazy, but allows for some really great strategy.
I like this idea for larger games - kinda closer to move mechanics of other miniature games such as Warhammer and DDM/StarWars minis.
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM

mrkurtb knows what's in an order marker mrkurtb knows what's in an order marker

Great suggestions.

Drizzt Do'Urden and Guenhwyvar keep on giving.
I recommend everyone try Darth Vader's Massivescape suggestions.
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Corzan is surprisingly tart

This is cool, I'll definitely suggest some of your ideas to my group next time we play.

Kinda (sorta) taking a break from HSers. Check out Toraili, a group effort by me and I Hate Atlaga.

And if there's one thread I'll still post in, it's the Minecraft thread, here.
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Except when I need the move boost

I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker

Your group has already read them, noob.

I Hate Atlaga is the Roman Legionnaire...
in THE CLOCK TOWER
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Demosthenes the Third is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Awesome! I really like the ideas! The extra movement with all figs idea is really great!
Good job.

R.I.P. Heroscape Support the Petition for its return!!!
November 3, 2010-WotC lost all of my support.
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Atlaga View Post
Your group has already read them, noob.
*sigh* I hope you get neg-repped for that. You're just mean.

Kinda (sorta) taking a break from HSers. Check out Toraili, a group effort by me and I Hate Atlaga.

Old November 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker I Hate Atlaga knows what's in an order marker

Only to you!

in THE CLOCK TOWER
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is very smart. I personally have never found any appeal to playing on a map so large that you spend more than one round just moving your figures. I mean, why not just start closer so you don't waste an hour moving units.

~Rednax
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
This is very smart. I personally have never found any appeal to playing on a map so large that you spend more than one round just moving your figures. I mean, why not just start closer so you don't waste an hour moving units.

~Rednax
What he said. When even playing 2500+ games, I play on a map only about twice the size of a tourney grade one.
Edit- @I hate Atlaga- It may seem funny, but no one really likes it or cares. Don't be a troll.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; November 24th, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: But of course far larger start zones!
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Edit- @I hate Atlaga- It may seem funny, but no one really likes it or cares. Don't be a troll.
Thanks man.

Old November 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Sorry, guys. That should probably be a PM.

in THE CLOCK TOWER

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion