Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 21st, 2014, 05:51 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: Gencon 2014 Army Discussion Thread

I'm curious how much army commonality there was last year between the online Gencon simulation event and the actual event.

Can anyone who did both comment? Is there a different army construction atmosphere between the two?

The online finalist armies were:
Quote:
- infectedsloth - Marro Dividers x5, Agent Skahen, Zetacron
- vegies dad - Arrow Gruts x3, Krug, Swog Rider x4, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Marcu Esenwein
The gencon finalists were
Quote:
The Orange Mailman - 10th x 2, Raelin, Drake V1, Marcus
Mathias Maccabeus - Spidersx4, Estivara, Wyvern x2

Last edited by kevindola; July 21st, 2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: switched armies
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:18 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I'm pretty sure their value comes from being able to drop in and devastate your opponent with 4 attacks of 4 before you have any chance to stop them.
Yeah, that's true. Ever played a game against them using 5+ squads of vipers?
Yeah, they're tough against Vipers. But if you win init, you got a decent shot to catch a couple of them.

EDIT: kevindola, I think there is a list of GenCon 2013 armies from the Main Event somewhere.
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:20 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I'm curious how much army commonality there was last year between the online Gencon simulation event and the actual event.

Can anyone who did both comment? Is there a different army construction atmosphere between the two?

Quote:
- vegies dad - Arrow Gruts x3, Krug, Swog Rider x4, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior [RotV], Marcu Esenwein

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I played against both those armies, if that helps.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post

Quote:
Quote:
IMO, the Gencon armies are, as a whole(though last year this may have not been the case, at least for the finalist armies) are a slight bit more "compeitive" in a strictly double-blind sense.

Edit:for example, I was suprised that your army made day 2 in OHS, not because I doubted your ability as a player, but because the two armies I faced at Gencon in RTW portion were a Nilf/Stinger podge, and a Axegrinder/Q9 podge. Needless to say to with the second one I had to make some serious blunders against my army (which I did). But my point still stands.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; July 21st, 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I agree with AG's assessment. Gencon's RTW has a slightly more competitive metagame slant as compared to the online prep metagame. With the introduction of the 16-figure limit you can't really compare last year to years before it, but on day 1 last year I played against Rae/PKx2/Krav/Hydra, Rae/PKx3/Q10, and some cheesehead playing Molty/Raelin/GSWs. My other two opponents were slightly lower tier stuff (AGs and Romans) but still basically strong builds.

Last edited by dok; July 21st, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:58 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

That Molty guy was a cretin.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Man, at least I never played Stompy and Krav at Gencon, people who'd dare do that are the real Barbarians.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; July 25th, 2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Double whammy!!! :D
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The real cretin was whoever picked that map for that event. Ah, well. I'll stomp you some other time.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:03 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
Man, at least I never played Stompy and Krav at Gencon, people who'd dare do that are the real Barbarians.
I heard an army with Stompy and Krav lost 4 games in a row one time, so it can't be that good.
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:25 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
I heard an army with Stompy and Krav lost 4 games in a row one time, so it can't be that good.
That's because you kept "forgetting" to hand over Raelin as well to your opponents...

Old August 9th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Well I just finished packing for Gen Con and this is what I went with for my Main Event army:

Total - 425 (15 hexes)

Thoughts??

Also I think my take 2 armies are going to be quite enjoyable for me to watch my opponents say, huh??

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 9th, 2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Yes the chainfighters will make an appearance in at least one of my events...
Old August 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Ah! So, White Wyrmlings and PKs? Nice.

@Matthias Maccabeus

Last edited by MegaSilver; August 9th, 2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: @Matthias Maccabeus

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion