Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old September 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
DVD Audio Commentaries

Do you ever watch movies with the audio commentaries on?
Once I've seen a movie a few times I usually will give it a shot. It is cool sometimes hearing what went into the movie. Some have had good ones, others just stunk.

Pirates of the Carribean was one that stunk. I got tired of Kiera Knightley and the guy who played Norrington talk about how wonderful they were.

Another that annoyed me was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Lucy was very annoying, I think even the other cast members were getting annoyed with her.

One I enjoyed was Van Helsing (I know, I am probably one of the three people who enjoyed that movie). The actors were quite entertaining in the commentary.

Any audio commentaries you've listened to that you would recommend to listen to or avoid? Or, do you think that people who listen to them are no-life losers?
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: DVD Audio Commentaries

Big Trouble in Little China has an awesome commentary. It's been a long time since I listened to it, but if I remember correctly, it's just Russell and Carpenter sitting around watching the movie and getting drunk together.

Also, I enjoyed Mel Brooks' commentary for Space Balls. It's as if Mel hadn't seen the movie in about 10 years and was laughing at all the jokes. Very comical.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I do with every movie that I really like.
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
Big Trouble in Little China has an awesome commentary. It's been a long time since I listened to it, but if I remember correctly, it's just Russell and Carpenter sitting around watching the movie and getting drunk together.

Also, I enjoyed Mel Brooks' commentary for Space Balls. It's as if Mel hadn't seen the movie in about 10 years and was laughing at all the jokes. Very comical.
I listened to the Big trouble commentary and half of it is Kurt Russel laughing hysterically - it actually got boring after awhile but for some reason I listened to it.

I think my favorite commentaries are either with actors just having fun and hardly talking at all about the story or development of the movie, and my least favorite ones are some haughty narcissistic directors or producers who say things like "What I did here was tried to artistically represent the essence of our struggle in this world" during some fight scene. However, sometimes people talking about the movie makes you appreciate it more. Some commentaries like this I have actually listened to multiple times:

Get Shorty - In a movie about making a movie it is amaziing how much the actual making of Get Short is exactly like what the movie itself was making fun of. I.E. Originally Danny Devito was going to be the John Travolta character but they changed it before filming be cause he was too short - completely ironic and is only one of many things in the commentary that make you appreciate the movie more after listening to the commentary.
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - fun to listen how a nobody got to make a big budget movie.
Goonies - It was just fun seeing/hearing them grown up.
Back to Future 1,2,3 - My favorite movies growing up, and you can learn something new about continuation in the films (I also liked the On-screen factoids)
Memento. If you have the Special edition or UK edition, there are actually 4 different commentaries for the last scenes where the director says some completely different observation in each, although most of the commentary is pretty boring. P.S. The DVD menu for the special edition was the most insane menu ever - you had to take a psych test to get to special features. I can't wait till Chris Nolan does commentary for Inception - he will probably have 8 different commentaries about what in the movie was really happening, and the Menu will be menus within menus where each level of menus slows down and takes you into another movie unless you remember your token.

Also, recently I have been buying & listening to Rifftrax of movies and it is hilarious. It is my the makers of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and they just make fun of movies. I have listened to all the Star wars movies and Twilight and New Moon (the only way I would watch those movies)
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Bubba Ho-Tep has one of the commentaries with Bruce Campball talking in character as Elvis.

Brother Bear has Bob & Doug Mackenzie in character as the two moose (mooses? Moosi? )

Galaxy Quest has a commentary in the Thermian language.

The Thing is another fun John Carpenter/Kurt Russell conversation commentary.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Brother Bear has Bob & Doug Mackenzie in character as the two moose (mooses? Moosi? )
"...many much moosen!"

(Sorry. It's an obscure reference to one of my favorite comedians. )
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I think my favorite commentaries are either with actors just having fun and hardly talking at all about the story or development of the movie, and my least favorite ones are some haughty narcissistic directors or producers who say things like "What I did here was tried to artistically represent the essence of our struggle in this world" during some fight scene. However, sometimes people talking about the movie makes you appreciate it more. Some commentaries like this I have actually listened to multiple times:
That is what I liked about the VanHelsing commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Goonies - It was just fun seeing/hearing them grown up.
Back to Future 1,2,3 - My favorite movies growing up, and you can learn something new about continuation in the films (I also liked the On-screen factoids)
I know what I am renting this weekend
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
Quote:
"...many much moosen!"

(Sorry. It's an obscure reference to one of my favorite comedians. )
I before E except after C..... ALWAYS!!!
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Galaxy Quest has a commentary in the Thermian language.
Forgot about that. Me and my friend started watching that movie in a silly mood and I was doing my normal press all up, down, left, right combinations on all menus looking for easter eggs and ran across this "Soundtrack" and for some reason were were laughing for about 15 minutes straight during this track. To this day it is an inside joke that we mention something about a particular movie movie having a Thermian language track and we just crack up.

Also,
I shot a moose, once.
Spoiler Alert!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

I've seen a few. The ones I liked includes Lord of the Ring Trilogy and The Seven Samurai.

For LOTR Trilogy, it was both fun and informative. I remember the 4 hobbits gets to comment about what happened during certain scenes, some jokes or funny moments or even how Sean Astin got mad at Andy Serkis at one point.

The Seven Samurai was different from most commentaries I've seen. For one, this is a very long film (207min) that it actually provides a 10 or 15 minutes break in between, which was literally blank screen for that duration. The commentator was Michael Jeck, I honestly don't know who he is, you are free to Google him though. Unlike directors/script writers 'boasting' how clever or how good things turned out. This commentator disect what director Kurosawa have done and almost on every scene. He informs the audience of cultural or periodic customs and traditions or provides a "what I think Kurosawa wanted to show" kind'a information. Basically, it is very informative and insightful commentary that helps you appreciated the film on a much deeper level.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Sorry to necro (from two weeks ago), but I forgot to mention my favorite commentary - not from a movie but a TV show - Newsradio (specifically Season 1 & 2). 20 of 29 episodes have commentaries and I always enjoy them. The creator/writer Paul Simms is on each and various other combinations of 1-3 actors, writers, directors, etc are on each. This is the perfect mix and they are all quite entertaining. You get to find out:
  • What each of the actors was currently up to when the DVD came out (they all had other TV shows, movies, and/or plays)
  • What the actors favorite & least favorite part of the show were.
  • How bad the writers are and how much they procrastinated by joking around to the piont of having the rep of the worst but funnest staff in all of TV.
  • Practical jokes the cast and crew pulled off.
  • Which of the actors/writers where sleeping with who (for real)
  • How high Andy Dick was on stuff.
  • Fond Remembrances and Deep Thoughts of Phil Hartman.
Season 3 and 4 commentaries wheer decent, but paled in comparison to Season 1 & 2.
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
More Interesting Than He Actually Is

Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sideways has a very entertaining commentary with the two leads. They have a pretty good goofy chemistry.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies