Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Point-less Competitive Armies

What if you needed to make a competitive army where space was limited but you had an unlimited number of points? Let's say the standard 24 space limit.

Would the strongest armies really be the most expensive ones? Certainly a pile of dragons and robots could be frightening but order markers would be a nightmare. Would highly costed squads like the Einar Emperium suddenly become powerful or would even they be too vulnerable for this sort of environment?

I don't have any good answers, but I'll put this out there as food for thought:

Einar Emperiumx3
Raelin [RotV]
Empress Kiova
Taelord
Major Q9
Major Q10
Nilfheim
Jotun
Atlaga
Krav Maga

Raelin and Kiova boosted Emperium have really solid defense and potentially solid offense, especially if you can work in Taelord. The Majors and the Krav can draw the enemy in (especially with Taelord). Jotun can smash through the defenses of tough opponents. Atlaga boosts all of your kyrie and can potentially take a big threat off of the board. Nilfheim is Nilfheim. Getting set up will be tricky as it is an Order Marker nightmare. You'll probably need to treat some units as redundant copies and bring them up as you start losing people.
Old January 27th, 2017, 03:11 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Hopefully Doesn't Get Moved

There was a tournament like that in Oregon. I won it using this build. kevindola also ran a competitive army challenge like this.

~Dysole, who loves her d20
Old January 27th, 2017, 03:58 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Point-less Competitive Armies

I thought this might have been posted already but I couldn't find it on a search. It's interesting that auto-destruction ended up being so valuable. I never would have thought to see Runa in just about any kind of competitive army build. I guess that makes sense when you consider this format is allowing for such high life totals.
Old January 27th, 2017, 04:00 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Ixe, you're gonna have a good read with this thread. There are some good analysis posts in there by @dok and @Foudzing too

Competitive Army Challenge 1: Best 24 Hex Army

Our Top 4 Submitters out of the 24 army submissions were

Champion: Murderers Row - @Kinseth
Hydra x4, Raelin, Taelord, Ornak, Brunak, Cyprien, Sonya, Krug, Nilfheim, Braxas, Krav Maga Agents

Runner Up: Anonymous Submission #5 - @infectedsloth
Hydra x6, Raelin, Taelord, Ornak, Brunak, Cyprien, Sonya, Krug, Moltenclaw, Deathwalker 8000, Deathwalker 9000

#3) Micro Beast 21: Enter the Meat Grinder - @The Bearded One
Microcorp Agents x7, Raelin, Taelord, Laglor

#4) Heads Up! - @sixthflagbearer
Hydra x10, Raelin, Ornak, Major Q9

@Bengi had the fan favorite army with his 21 Granite Guardians

This was also done with a criteria of 4 static maps and glyph sets to design to. In fact that was a big part of why Micro Beast 21 made the final four and in fact most of the comments had him defeating Heads Up! in the semifinals.
Old January 27th, 2017, 04:45 PM

There is some good analysis in that thread. I have to agree with foudzing that I think the Hydras were a bit over played in that line up. I feel like we can get a lot of insight from the slugfest tournament although the uncommon and hex limit changes thing a bit. It looks like the squad-based armies really didn't hold up. It's hard to imagine them winning a war of attrition against that much life and power.
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

That Microbeast army is dope.

Hmmm I'd probably go with Imperium x5, Atlaga, Runa, Kiova, Raelin, Q9, Braxas, Hydra, sit an imperium depending on matchup? Even in this wild scenario i was debating whether I wanted Kiova or not . Maybe instead of the hydra run Cyprien.

Or maybe Aubriens x4, Krav, Skahen, Laglor, Taelord, Raelin, Hydra, Runa, Braxas.

I don't really see a situation where I'm not running Braxas and Runa. Raelin + Taelord is pretty hard to pass up too in most cases.
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:44 PM

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Had I Built For 24

With 24 hexes, my army (assuming I can borrow the necessary figures) is...

Rae (I), Tae, Drake (II), Molty, Sonlen, Cyprien, Sudema, Master of the Hunt, Eltahale, Frost Giant, KMS, Runa, Kaemon, Skahen, Laglor, Alastair, Syvarris, Agent Carr, Mind Flayer, Morsbane, Atlaga, Heirloom, Ne-Gok-Sa, DW7K ().

I might drop some figures for Frosties, but I feel this covers all the bases I could want and I don't duplicate any figures. I can see the advantage to grabbing a Krug or a Braxas, but there's so many things these figures can do to just mitigate all that.

~Dysole, who notes if we were including VC figures, she starts adding in Varja, Augamo, Morgo, Azzy, maybe Ashi-Dhulu.
Old January 31st, 2017, 06:49 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Fun idea! Einar Imperium could be fun. Give them Atlaga and Marcus and they can rush virtually everything (whether or not they'll stay alive...)

Drake 2.0
Marcus
Atlaga
Raelin 1.0
Taelord
Imperium x5
Major Q9
Charos

15 Imperiums oughta tear up anything they can safely engage. 7 movement, with the possibilty of being with Taelord's Aura can make mincemeat of everything. Focusing on the cheerleaders will only prolong the Brown Wings of Death. Charos, Q9, and Marcus-boosted Drake should provide enough raw firepower that when the Imperium go down, you can still win. Just beware of Braxas.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:01 PM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

Sweet! I'll bite this.
Siege
Q9
Krug
Jotun
KMA
WFSx4
Raelin1.
Drake2.
24 spaces, and very unorthodox.
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:16 PM

Meta

One of the things that happens is in Classic Scape, we talk about figures "killing their points". Here it's more about "killing their spaces". If my single space Sudema one shots your double space Krug before dying I'm up on spaces. If Sudema kills 2 EI before dying I'm up on spaces. It becomes very hard for squads to make up their spaces.

~Dysole, who had to take a while to come around to this line of thinking too
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:48 AM

Even from a space perspective, squads can be tempting since they give you some order marker stability and provide so many attacks per order marker. However, when matched space to space against the most powerful heroes, it is easy to see how they will lose out in the long war of attrition. Looking at this format, it seems like it would take forever to play. Can 9-15 Einar Imperium really take on as many Frost Giants, for instance?
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:45 PM

TheTravelingScaper is surprisingly tart
Talking Re: Point-less Competitive Armies

Oh. No limit on points just starting hexes(24)? I just know someone might suggest these eventually but:
Too Many Dragons
6x Red Wyrmlings
6x White Wyrmlings
6x Blue Wyrmlings
6x Black Wyrmlings
or
Nature's Retaliation
6x Fire Elementals
6x Earth Elementals
6x Water Elementals
6x Air Elementals

OR

Shaolin Onslaught
7x Shaolin Monks
Master Win Chiu Woo
Charos

There may be no threshold on points but these armies I made are also quite pointless

Missing 24 Units until I have 1 of everything. Missing stuff from waves 4,7,8,9,10,13 AA,Skahen Brown & Woo
My Tradeslist : http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51248

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion