Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Taeblewalker was down for a rock concert by Judas Priest at the new Barkley Center here in Brooklyn, and crashed at my place. The next day we played two games of the brand new Star Trek Fleet Captains/Dominion. I had just trim painted the new purple ships. He won as The Dominion vs the Federation, and then won again as the Klingons vs the Dominion. The good news is that they are balanced enough to both win and lose against other factions. The very funny first game saw me exchanging for some of his best new Dominion card weapons when he hit the Mirror Universe Encounter, and using them against him! Mwahaha!

Its a wild Saturday here in NYC. I'm off to play a full 6 map 12 player Memoir 44 D-Day Landings at my FLGS, and pal Tag will be at the Javits Center for NY Comicon (he bought tickets last year). He'll call me if he sees anything I might want in the Dealer Room! Meanwhile he's got my new Firefly the Game/Blue Sun Rim Space, which he'll bring over next week. Twilight Struggle should be here any day now; although I got half off, I had to pay most of that in shipping. I'm also getting the larger GMT box for Sekigahara.

The designer of Quartermaster General just posted the 2nd Ed. FAQ on bgg, where he's detailed the expansion he's playtesting for it.
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Ordered the base set of turn of the century (can we say that now?) Terminator CCG for about $8 total after shipping from the Boardgamegeek marketplace. Heard it's imbalanced in favor of the machines, but that's how it should be, and for $8 I'll try it.

I heard it's compatible with the 1997 AvP ccg. Is that game good? And can you play that game with just the Marines deck and Aliens deck, leaving out the Predator? Only the first Predator movie was good and for the past 20 years we Aliens/Colonial Marines fans have had everything Aliens tainted with this stupid fishnet glow in the dark blood toothed vagina mouth reptile with dreadlocks. Why? No one likes Predator and it just drags everything it's in down more.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 12th, 2014, 01:20 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

My first OPERATION NEPTUNE for Memoir 44: D-Day Landings was quite an experience, with all six oversize maps together on two large tables in the basement of my FLGS, The Compleat Strategist in NYC! I was the assistant event runner, providing some of the toys and the best knowledge of the rules. We enjoyed watching the double take everyone made, from players to observers, when they first came downstairs and viewed the largest game map set up any of us had ever seen before.

Ten of twelve players showed up. After four hours the Germans, who were within a few points of winning, lost dramatically to the Allies! I played as the Germans on two adjacent maps: Omaha and Gold, and got to see how they interacted (not much this time around), having never had them on the table in my own three map games at home. Studying the juncture of the US and British was interesting however. I did get some important help from my German counterpart from Utah on my Omaha map with a unit and an artillery strike which allowed me to retake two beach sections for several turns at the end of the game.

Wild point swings occurred as beach sections change hands, so you usually don't win by just a point or two, but both sides get a chance! For a more detailed account see my thread on boardgamegeek. We ended up toasting our host with a round of Calvados, the local fermented apple cider of Normandy, with which many a WWII GI solaced himself during a lull in the fighting.

My uncle, one of the last German Jews to get out of Nazi Germany alive, landed with the 29th "Blue and Gray" Division on D+6 Omaha Beach, and fought all the way through the European Campaign. At the end of the war, he was interrogating prisoners in his fluent German.
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

That sounds really awesome Chas. Unfortunately, my group hasn't gotten around to playing the D-Day Landings setup yet. That's also really cool about your uncle. I'm sure he was extra inspired when dealing with the Germans.

Yesterday I went to my group's all day event, and I mean all day and night. I was only there from 12:30-6 pm, as I had things to do around the house and family stuff, but the group was doing the 25 hour Extra Life charity event for children's hospitals. So several of them, that were actually collecting for the charity, started yesterday at 8am and were going to be there until this morning at 9am. Yeah, 25 hours. Many of us others were filtering in and out based on our schedules.

Between a lot of chit-chatting and socializing, I got a few games in:

Libertalia - I haven't played this in awhile and brought it so I could maybe get it played and did. 4 player game and I came in 2nd with 64 points as 1st place was a tie at 65 points. We didn't see the tiebreaker in the rules so we left it at that. But if there was one we missed, then technically I came in 3rd place. Those of us that played had all played before but not for awhile and we all said, "wow, I forgot how much fun this game is." It really is a fun game where you play over 3 rounds and start out with the same 9 cards at the beginning of the game but only use 6 of them in the first round. Then each player gets 6 more cards where each player has the same types cards from that draw, but may have 3 different ones that they carried over from the first round. The 3rd round is similar that by then, the carried over 3 cards is even more different. It's neat to be able to try some longer term planning (for the entire round or for end of round) and how opponent's can screw that up with cards or with booty tokens played that take out one of your cards from your den. Great game.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
- is one that I got about a month ago at a local FLGS for only $20 on clearance, and I also got the expansion Conquest of Planet Earth: Apocalypse for only $10. So me and a couple other guys that have been wanting to try this game sat down and played it in co-op mode, as it can also be played competitively. It's really cool because with the expansion, there are like 14 different types of alien types that each player can choose to play and each one plays differently. Players are aliens trying to conquer Earth and win by conquering various locations (cards) that come up that have various amount of population (which give you Terror points when conquered) and various amounts of resistance (defense that forces you to have a certain amount of battles with different human resistance types). So if after battling all the resistance on a location card and winning, you place a conquest token on it and claim those Terror Points toward what you need to win. In a 3 player game you need 24 points (8 for each player, but can be split up however in the game). The human resistance is in the 40's/50's era soldiers, marines, fighter planes, tanks, cops, naval destroyers etc. and a superhero named Captain Fantastic that is really tough. There is also resistance tokens that get played on your board that you have to deal with and they can move to different locations to mess you up or even liberate previously conquered locations. The humans get event cards that can mess the aliens up and can also have a chance of getting special Human Tech cards that are really trouble for the aliens. All in all, this is a fun game with tons of theme from the old fashioned alien movies from the 50's. We won, but it was tough.

No Thanks (x2) - Had played this last Monday also and it is a fun little quick game. Once again I didn't do great, but had fun at it.

Sushi Go! - My first time playing this one. It's got a 7 Wonders draft mechanic where you take one card and pass it to the left (though it doesn't switch to right and left again like 7 Wonders). You play your card and then take the hand passed to you and choose another one to play etc. Each card has different types of Japanese food that you can get points for based on either having multiples of that card or sets or cards with straight up points. You play 3 rounds and add up the points from each round to get the winner. Fun little game. It's quick and easy and a nice filler.

Edit: I just played a solo 2P game of Concordia in order to get the feel for it before teaching it sometime. The rules are very straight forward as it's only like a 4 page set of rules, with most of it explaining the actions of the different cards you can use in the game. Each player starts out with the same 7 card types and on your turn all you do is play one card and take the action/s. But once you play that card, you don't get it back into your hand until you play a certain card that allows you to bring played cards back. Each player has a Diplomat card in their deck as well that allows you to duplicate the top card of an opponent's card in their played pile, so timing is important sometimes. The toughest part of the game that people will have getting their head around is the scoring. You don't score until the very end of the game. There are several different Roman gods in the game where each card has one of their names at the bottom of it. For each of those god type card, you multiply that number by the VP's granted by that god type card. So for one you might get VP's per building you built, or how many different provinces you have built in, or how many types of goods you have built in cities with those goods etc. You will also be buying more cards from across the top of the board that do similar or different things than the ones you start with, so it ends up being a deck-builder in that sense, but you have to be cognizant of what sets of god type cards you collecting and how you plan your strategy. Cool game with lots of variety in set up and gameplay.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; October 12th, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@chas I bet it was fun, thanks for the report. Thanks for sharing about your uncle, very cool.

We played a few games of Heroscape and Krosmaster yesterday. The Heroscape was testing for Dad_Scaper's upcoming NHSD event. I lost horribly multiple times and that's all I will say about that. I've lost 4 straight with that particular army to Stephen Universe and CatScaper, so it is dead to me. Luckily that was not the only army I had built for this.
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth

Family up for the weekend, including my son's future mother-in-law. She got to pick, so we had two games of Scrabble. I was a lousy host, winning both soundly.

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGalahad View Post
Family up for the weekend, including my son's future mother-in-law. She got to pick, so we had two games of Scrabble. I was a lousy host, winning both soundly.
Poor woman. Do you have Bananagrams in your game library? I find that to be a much more social tile-laying word game, and open to any number of players.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Finished adventure 2 in PACG: Soul and Shackles with my daughter yesterday. Unfortunately her swashbuckler perma-died. Though that gave her (us) the opportunity to try out the new class decks. She picked up Wu-Shen one of the new rogues.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

How old is she? You make it sound like she was cool about it. That's .

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 12th, 2014, 10:04 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Is there death in PACG that isn't permanent?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Ordered the base set of turn of the century (can we say that now?) Terminator CCG for about $8 total after shipping from the Boardgamegeek marketplace. Heard it's imbalanced in favor of the machines, but that's how it should be, and for $8 I'll try it.

I heard it's compatible with the 1997 AvP ccg. Is that game good? And can you play that game with just the Marines deck and Aliens deck, leaving out the Predator? Only the first Predator movie was good and for the past 20 years we Aliens/Colonial Marines fans have had everything Aliens tainted with this stupid fishnet glow in the dark blood toothed vagina mouth reptile with dreadlocks. Why? No one likes Predator and it just drags everything it's in down more.
I didn't see that you'd mentioned it before, but I'm seeing multiple posts from you about Alien games. As a fan of the Alien franchise, you really owe it to yourself to try Legendary Encounters. For the most part, it won't provide one person as the good guys vs one person as the aliens, but it does an amazing job of recreating the tension and theme of the movies. Each set of scenarios plays out differently, from Alien all the way to Alien: Resurrection, and the entire game, win or lose, you feel like you're hanging by a thread. Plus it plays well solo as well as with multiple people. It's just an awesome game.
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@ParaGoomba Slayer +1 for Legendary Encounters.

Just finished destroying CatScaper's NHSD tourney army with my 2nd choice build. I felt a little guilty taking advantage while she is sick, but it was her idea to give me a chance to test out the new army.

Just got my Xia: Legends of a Drift System. Didn't realize Lasership delivered on Sundays. Nice surprise.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games