Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Valguard

The Book of Valguard
Zanafor's Discovery - Collection 4 - "Heroes of Trollsford"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Born in blood and raised on war, the vicious battle leader of the Dreadguls was recued and brought to Valhalla by Einar to serve in his quest for control of the wellsprings. On Earth, Valguard fought alongside his father Ulrick, raiding and pillaging with the terrifying Dreadguls. When Finn's castle was under seige, his brother Thorgrim challenged Valguard in single combat. Thorgrim found Valguard to be too fierce of an opponent, and it was only when a tumbling boulder pinned and crushed Valguard's shield arm that Thorgrim could escape. Einar transported the injured warlord to Valhalla, and Ulrick, thinking his son dead, began his campaign to eradicate the Tarn Vikings and their leaders, Thorgrim and Finn. It was on Valhalla that Valguard had the alien lizard arm magically attached by Durnipia, to replace his lost arm. The arm gives Valguard superhuman stamina and a lust for blood in battle. (Hasbro)
-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - ROMAN LEGIONNAIRES / SACRED BAND : Einar Warlord Bonding
    As a Warlord that follows Einar, Valguard may benefit from Roman Legionnaires’ and Sacred Band’s WARLORD BONDING activation bonus.

Synergy Benefits OfferedC3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Strategy Notes:
  • - Having Valguard fight in your campaigns is a wise choice. However, it could cost you the upper hand in battle if you draft his allies carelessly. Make sure to draft heroes and squads that not only compliment his abilities, but can also continue to fight if he is destroyed. Valguard is best used on the front lines, but because of his First Assault 3 special power, you have to strategically move him around the board, and make an effort to outthink your opponent while placing your turn markers at the beginning of every round.

Keep Valguard away from crowds. His First Assault 3 special power, and his life of 7 make leaving an engagement less of a question, and more of a choice. However, if he is engaged with too many figures, he won't be able to move because the chance of injury is too high. When attacking a figure he was engaged with at the beginning of the turn, he only attacks with 2, so if you are going to engage an opponent, try to gain height advantage when doing so. That way, if he is stuck in that engagement for a round or two, he can hold his own while help comes from the backfields.
    (Hasbro FAQ)

Who is affected by Valguard's Special Powers?
  • - First Assault 3: Any opponent's figures that were not engaged with Valguard at the start of his turn, but are engaged at the end of his move.
    - Berserker Charge Enhancement: Tarn Viking Warriors.
    (Hasbro FAQ)

Who else could I draft with Valguard?
  • - Tarn Viking Warriors
    Because of his Berserker Charge Enhancement, the Tarn Viking Warriors are an obvious choice to draft alongside this Warlord. They are a cheap squad that can run across an entire battlefield in one turn if you can roll the D20 well. His enhancement allows the Tarn Viking Warriors to move multiple times in one turn that much easier. They also have a better than average defense for squads, so they can hold their own, while keeping an opponent from leaving. That way, Valguard can rush in and use his First Assault 3 power to inflict some damage. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Gladiatrons
    While the Gladiatrons cannot move across the board multiple times in one turn like the Tarn Viking Warriors, they move at 5 and can instantly lock an opponent down with their Cyberclaw ability. Even if the opponent's figure wanted to chance a passing swipe, they couldn't. Locking multiple figures down in strategic locations (below height, in water, or not adjacent to each other) can give your army the upper hand while Valguard moves across the battlefield striking them down. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Saylind
    If you draft Saylind with Valguard, you don't have to be worried about crowds. She can stay just out of the fray, and use her Spear of Summoning to whisk Valguard away from the engagements with no leaving engagement attacks! This way, he can run back into the skirmish the next turn, causing even more damage. It's rather fun to do this to an opponent. As soon as they think they have Valguard where they want him, you can summon him out and watch them squirm while he rushes back in for more. You can also use Saylind early to fly out into the battlefield, and then summon Valguard. He will be that much closer to the battle, and she can be in a prime location to summon him back if needed.
    This strategy works especially well with maps that have a lot of inclines that would slow Valguard down.
    (Hasbro FAQ)

Who does Valguard work well against?
  • - Dumutef Guard
    The Dumutef Guard is downright dangerous on battlefields that have roads. Because of that, it's imperative to get to him before he can reach any road spaces. Use Valguard and his First Assault 3 to attack him with his attack of 5 or more if you are fortunate enough to gain height on the Dumutef Guard. If you're lucky, the Dumutef won't last through that attack. Once he reaches the road however, you may want to modify your strategy to include ranged attacks. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Su-Bak-Na
    Su-Bak-Na's defense is noticeably lacking, but he more than makes up for it with his attack of 7. Because of this, you need a durable Hero to engage him and cripple your opponent's army. Use ranged squads to attack Su-Bak-Na from afar and inflict a few wounds. When Su-Bak-Na moves in to kill the squads, rush Valguard in to finish him off. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Alastair MacDirk
    Against an army with Alastair and any number of his Macdirk Warrior squads, you have to think about taking Alastair out if he is the Macdirk's chosen Human Champion. Once you attack him however, you have to finish him. It's unacceptable to damage him a little, and then back off. The Macdirks will use their Highland Fury to their advantage and start cutting into your allies. Your first objective should be to take out the Macdirk Warriors, but if you can't for some reason (more than one squad), you should Use Valguard to rush Alastair and inflict as many wounds as possible. Use Saylind to pull him away so he can jump back at him, or use ranged squads to assist Valguard in his battle. (Hasbro FAQ)

Power Ranking and Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking
Valguard- With Romans/Greeks, Marcus is a near necessity. With that already in your army, Valguard becomes hard to fit in a standard point game. C+

Valguard
Great Figure? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=798
Berserker Charge? http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6762
Unit Strategy Review

Last edited by R˙chean; April 11th, 2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: VC Synergy added
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM

ezekiel has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus
A guy that I really want to love, but just can't.
Same with me, and the same with the Einar Imperium.... *sigh*
man the imperium with marcus and keova add legionairs and kaemon awa
and you've got a dangeris army if you move them slow and together

naboota itchy nub nub- Chewbacca hoo ha

In memoriam of Deannie-April 17, 2007
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
110 points isn't a terribly high cost, especially if you already have Tarn Vikings in your army that you want to boost. But, yeah, he would be better as a champion, because then you could build around the KoW and the Viking spirits you'd want to dump into the Tarns.
Or, even better, if he bonded with the Tarns.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM

ezekiel has disabled reputation
see I could do lots with this guy but we play general specific so that limits him to much and inless we are playing 1000 points he won't find his way in my ranks,BUT DARN HE'S SUCH A NICE CHARACTER!!! lets see what else they have in store for him and others like him in the next upcoming waves and BIG figures ooohhh and don't forget SotM

naboota itchy nub nub- Chewbacca hoo ha

In memoriam of Deannie-April 17, 2007
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel
see I could do lots with this guy but we play general specific so that limits him to much and inless we are playing 1000 points he won't find his way in my ranks,BUT DARN HE'S SUCH A NICE CHARACTER!!! lets see what else they have in store for him and others like him in the next upcoming waves and BIG figures ooohhh and don't forget SotM
Playing one general armies is fine, but try, once in a while, a mix and match game or two and you'll find a place for Val pretty quickly, I think.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus
A guy that I really want to love, but just can't.
Me too. I love what he can represent, but just can't seem to pull it off in a game...yet.
I would like to try the Saylind angle sometime.
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Dumb Dwarf has disabled reputation
You want to play with Valguard, then you have to understand his place on the field.
Pure and simple, he is a bully. Use him with your favorite soldiers. (I prefer the Legos) Don't target your opponents big figures, instead focus on the weak and pathetic ones that you can kill in one attack. Target those foolish enough to wander off by themselves. If you fail to kill your intended target, move on to another, with 7 life a disengagement strike here and there is no big deal.

When I use him, Valguard rarely lasts long enough to see the end of battle, but he always sees his share.

I just hope Aquilla doesn't summon me any time soon.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM

MrBarkypants Woo who?
Valgard is cool as a clean-up guy. That 7 life at the end of the game can really come in handy.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
I really like Valguard - he's very solid, especially if you don't mind taking disengagement strikes once in a while. My favorite Valguard army:

Marcus - 100
Legos x2 - 100
Valguard - 110
Me-Burq-Sa - 50
4th Mass x2 - 140

Total = 500

3 Warlords to bond plus the Marcus boosted 4th mass

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM

mr_rex777 has disabled reputation
I think he is okay. When I use him each time it is my turn I make him run after one figure and attack, then the next turn go to the next closes figure, then run back to the first one until one dies.

Old May 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Doey08 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: The Book of Valguard

Here is an army with Valguard I thought about:

Roman Leigons x2 (100) (or 3, (150)
if you swap out the Tarn Vikings)
Roman Archers x2 (110)
Valguard (110)
Marcus (100)
Tarn Viking Warriors (50) (or swap for a Roman squad)
Guilty McCreech (30)(or Eldgrim, for his movement Spirit)

Total: 500

Just an idea

Knights, Cavalry, Minutemen-What's better than that?
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Valguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I really like Valguard - he's very solid, especially if you don't mind taking disengagement strikes once in a while. My favorite Valguard army:

Marcus - 100
Legos x2 - 100
Valguard - 110
Me-Burq-Sa - 50
4th Mass x2 - 140

Total = 500

3 Warlords to bond plus the Marcus boosted 4th mass
I'm curious to know how well this army has done.
Me too.

I've had fun with this Valguard army:

Valguard - 110
Braxas - 210
Roman Legos x2 - 100
Kelda - 80
TOTAL - 500

Slow moving and pretty silly, but Kelda has a lot of life points to heal up!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units