Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I was swamped with projects for college this weekend and only managed to squeeze in two games.

1x Yggdrasil
My mom was actually the one that called me up asking if we could play this because she had so much fun with it last time. My mom chose Thor, my girlfriend chose Tyr, and I chose Frey. We won this game by a hair. We had numerous occasions in which five demons made it over the gate with the active player able to push one back before the turn's end. Very close game and tons of fun with that degree of tension.

1x Thunderstone
We had a really good combination of cards in which everything fed off each other well. This was a very smooth game, and I must say the Phalanx hero is insane, but I really enjoyed using the Terakian hero for the ability to discard disease cards to draw cards and eventually gain an attack bonus. I was victorious against my girlfriend with the scores as 33 to 27.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Picked up Battleship Galaxies over the weekend. Got in a few games. Really liking it, but I want more out of it as well. Shields feel a little under utilized as a mechanic at this point and I really need to give more of the scenarios a try. The base scenario doesn't provide much incentive to be the aggressor. I also really want the game to have facing/turning rules, if only to add more motion to the board. I'm a hair worried

I love the ship designs for the most part. The shielded blue fighters and unshielded reds rank as some of my favorites ever. I do really like the core mechanics as well. The energy system is really slick and makes for quite a few interesting choices. I LOVE the lauching system, particularly with the carried ships. The game just needs more options to make the most of it.

Really, that's just what I feel about the game. I just want more of it. More ship options, more scenarios, more of everything. It's a solid start, but it needs a bit more to keep from falling out of play with stuff like MonPoc, Heroscape, and Summoner Wars in my collection.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Yeah, sheilds really end up as more of "more damage markers" than a really "different" thing. I wish the boarding cards couldn't be played upon shielded ships.

The Rescue of the Barrage is more fun than the dead-zone. Personally, I think home-brew scenarios will make the game emminently more playable.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Yeah, sheilds really end up as more of "more damage markers" than a really "different" thing. I wish the boarding cards couldn't be played upon shielded ships.
They protect from instant kills, but at 1/80 probability, those aren't exactly something you expect in any game. I sort of expected ships to be unable to take hull damage until the shields were down, rather than the excess damage over the shields translating directly into hull damage. The Wretch siphon and disruption mechanics hint at what could be done with the system, but again its where the game needs more to shine.

To finish the thought of my sentence fragment: I'm a hair worried about the various forms for each ship in terms of min-maxing. Since Launch costs are something of a double wammy and the base stats don't change, I can see a temptation to run with minimal special abilities. I'm just a touch worried when there's more to pick from, the best option is going to be a bunch of really bland Standards.
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'm still waiting on mine (curse you, Chinese printers holding up SW Master Set!), but from everything I've read it looks like the potential is there for SW-like expansion. So many little variables that can be tweaked by new factions/ships/cards; hopefully Hasbro will ride this one for a bit.

It was encouraging to see it had sold out at CSI (back in stock now, I suspect, but it was briefly sold out), and my local FLGS tells me they haven't been able to keep it on the shelf.

Hopefully Hasbro is seeing what it needs to see to crank out a couple waves.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
They protect from instant kills, but at 1/80 probability, those aren't exactly something you expect in any game. I sort of expected ships to be unable to take hull damage until the shields were down, rather than the excess damage over the shields translating directly into hull damage. The Wretch siphon and disruption mechanics hint at what could be done with the system, but again its where the game needs more to shine.

To finish the thought of my sentence fragment: I'm a hair worried about the various forms for each ship in terms of min-maxing. Since Launch costs are something of a double wammy and the base stats don't change, I can see a temptation to run with minimal special abilities. I'm just a touch worried when there's more to pick from, the best option is going to be a bunch of really bland Standards.
Truth is, Eclipse, that even at 1/80 you're probably going to have 30-40 hits on unshielded ships in any given game which gives you a good chance of critting one. And it's only 1/40 for one of the ISN fighters with a lousy cockpit design.

Having played a decent amount with Standard and Vet ships I see what you're saying. I think though, that what I'm finding is that most of the Seasoned and Veteran specials are significant upgrades over the Standard ships. The largest exception is the Everest. The Everest's powers are a total trade-off. Fewer points to spend on ships, but a net power savings on launch versus Standard due to attached cards. Having shot at a Vapor's Fate both with and without superior shields I can assure you that I'll happily pay the extra for that upgrade any time I have the Wretch.

~Aldin, still amused at how much a fleet can change simply by spending two points differently

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
regurgitation cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Truth is, Eclipse, that even at 1/80 you're probably going to have 30-40 hits on unshielded ships in any given game which gives you a good chance of critting one. And it's only 1/40 for one of the ISN fighters with a lousy cockpit design.

Having played a decent amount with Standard and Vet ships I see what you're saying. I think though, that what I'm finding is that most of the Seasoned and Veteran specials are significant upgrades over the Standard ships. The largest exception is the Everest. The Everest's powers are a total trade-off. Fewer points to spend on ships, but a net power savings on launch versus Standard due to attached cards. Having shot at a Vapor's Fate both with and without superior shields I can assure you that I'll happily pay the extra for that upgrade any time I have the Wretch.

~Aldin, still amused at how much a fleet can change simply by spending two points differently
It really does depend on the ship and power in question. The little unshielded Wretch fighters (Togu?) change pretty dramatically, with the Standard being cheap, early damage sponges, Seasoned being annoying mid-game pests and Veteran being a significant late game threat. I probably need to get some more flight time in with a lot of them though. Activation costs make a pretty considerable difference in the value gained by any of the upgrades. I think though I worry most about the Medium ships, particularly when you're looking at crossing the Launch 10 boundary. That makes a considerable difference in their usability.
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:25 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Nexus Ops just went into the queue after reading the rulebook today. No games tonight... school.

-insert signature here-
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse

It really does depend on the ship and power in question. The little unshielded Wretch fighters (Togu?) change pretty dramatically, with the Standard being cheap, early damage sponges, Seasoned being annoying mid-game pests and Veteran being a significant late game threat. I probably need to get some more flight time in with a lot of them though. Activation costs make a pretty considerable difference in the value gained by any of the upgrades. I think though I worry most about the Medium ships, particularly when you're looking at crossing the Launch 10 boundary. That makes a considerable difference in their usability.

I imagine it can be somewhat like Heroscape where some units, or in BG's case some versions of units, will see more playing time than others. Some cheaper ones might need to be added to a fleet as fillers, or there may be some scenario specific rules that might require the more expensive ones. Hopefully as the game evolves, there will be a nice variety of uses for the different levels of ships and not just using the low cost ones as a strategy for success. You do have those energy tiles that can help regain energy for the more expensive ships and also there's a cap on how much energy you can have, so if you go all cheap at some point after you lose a bit of your fleet, you will keep gaining your energy but might end up stuck with more energy than you can use and wish you had more to do with it.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Just got my handfuls of replication Doubloons from Amazon today. Used it in Puerto Rico. Looks great.
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:46 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Nexus Ops just went into the queue after reading the rulebook today. No games tonight... school.
Hey nyys ~ I just realized that we both live on the "South Shore" ... I'm just 300 miles south-er (further south) in NJ. Anyway, I've got two copies of Nexus Ops in my storage shed that I got when my local T-R-U marked them down by 50% to a cleanance price. I haven't even taken the shrink wrap off them yet. Sold a my house and bought another one, moved twice and haven't had any time to try something new for the past two years. Let me know how you like it, your opinion will help me determine if I sell it ...OR... keep it, open it, eventually read the rules myself, and hopefully someday play it.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:15 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Hey nyys ~ I just realized that we both live on the "South Shore" ... I'm just 300 miles south-er (further south) in NJ. Anyway, I've got two copies of Nexus Ops in my storage shed that I got when my local T-R-U marked them down by 50% to a cleanance price. I haven't even taken the shrink wrap off them yet. Sold a my house and bought another one, moved twice and haven't had any time to try something new for the past two years. Let me know how you like it, your opinion will help me determine if I sell it ...OR... keep it, open it, eventually read the rules myself, and hopefully someday play it.
Keep at least one copy of Nexus Ops for yourself Johngee! It is a great lite wargame that forces players to attack. It is fast paced, fun and has a wide variety of units to build and fight with. It also works well with 2, 3 or 4 players.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games