Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old May 14th, 2020, 12:45 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: HoME General Discussion Thread

We had over 50 playtests on Gandalf and couldn't come to a consensus on points and put up a final vote. On HoSS, I think we are happy with 4 or 5 playtests per figure.

In addition, Merry and Pippin were close, but we could not agree on final abilities.

When the group cannot compromise, there is no hope for it to go anywhere.
Old May 14th, 2020, 10:27 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

50 is a lot of playtests. 4 or 5 may not be enough.

Not being on the same page, and the consequent inability to compromisem, was the heart of our problem.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 14th, 2020, 10:54 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Looking at gandalf again it seems we were hemming and hawing. If one of us had forced the issue with a vote proposal I think we would have finalized him.

--
--
--

--
Old May 14th, 2020, 11:16 AM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Looking at gandalf again it seems we were hemming and hawing. If one of us had forced the issue with a vote proposal I think we would have finalized him.
In the beginning of the project we voted on an ERB of three people to lead the group. SoA and Xorlof stopped contributing. That left you alone to call the shots.

As Gandalf's lead designer, I tried to listen to the playtesters and take their comments into account. They felt Gandalf needed to be stronger. I compiled a detailed summary on all 57 playtests which agreed that Gandalf was not really competitive. I made suggestions to make him stronger. As the only contributing ERB member, you resisted those changes and we got nowhere.

When the lead designer and the ERB and the playtesters disagree, it's hard to get anywhere.
Old May 14th, 2020, 11:36 AM

I think we have different approaches to playtesting. I believe playtests and playtesting tell you if the unit is playing the way you want and worth the amount of points you are spending. The design team (in conjunction with their lead playtesters and sometimes the ERB) takes the playtesting feedback and incorporates it into the design to make the design how they envision it. The playtesters are not in the driver-seat; the designers are. So if the playtesters say "it should be stronger" or "it would be cool if it had power X" the designers consider that in the context of what they're envisioning. What I get out of feedback like "it should be stronger" is "it does not feel like it is performing according the point value we assigned; we can make it stronger or we can change the points." It seemed to me that making Gandalf even stronger would be a departure from our goals for the design, so I pushed for us to lower the points and leave it as-is. You were on board with that, as were several others.

EDIT: In C3V, we have several times sent a design all the way back to Design when it was underperforming to make it stronger to fit the point value and feel we were shooting for. There have been other times we have just adjusted the points and-or tweaked some stats or a d20 threshold. It's all about the goals of the designer(s).

EDIT #2: to make this more blunt, I don't care if the playtesters think the design should be stronger. I care if the *Designers* think the design should be stronger.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; May 14th, 2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: If I could go back in time to before playtesting, I would have pushed for the more tempered-down ~130 point version from SoA
Old May 14th, 2020, 11:40 AM

If I were to start over on process, I would do something similar to what C3V and AotV do now. Each design is owned by a *team* of people who together set the vision. The ERB (or equivalent) keeps them within certain boundaries, but otherwise respects the collective will of the team. It is a lot easier for the designers to manage these conflicts when they have a team of people supporting each other than a single designer against however-many ERB members.

EDIT: To make this more concrete, let's suppose your picture of the situation is right. I would have had a much harder time pushing back on your desire to power-up Gandalf if the other two members of the design team were in 100% agreement with you on doing it.

--
--
--

--
Old May 14th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

IMO, you’d do well to establish at least a general sense of competitiveness you want units to be at. Is it B? B+? IIRC, I left primarily because I felt like the figures were much too weak. Admittedly, I think I was hoping to aim at around A- (not a good idea, looking back), but I think I got very frustrated with that Gandalf being at about a C or C+. Even looking at him now, I think he’s really overcosted. I think having a general target goal for power level, rather than leaving that up to one or two people in specific roles, would make a lot of sense.

Last edited by OEAO; May 14th, 2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Phone typos
Old May 14th, 2020, 01:25 PM

I think we were looking to follow the precedent set by VC, which is to shoot for the B range. Some figures we intentionally shoot for B+, some we intentionally shoot for B-.

There's a lot to reflect on when it comes to Gandalf specifically. We made him into a figure that you build your whole army around--I wonder if that was a mistake. It seems like it made him a lot harder to settle on.

--
--
--

--
Old May 14th, 2020, 02:48 PM

Yes, we definitely have different approaches to playtesting.

For me, I want to design a figure that is fun for people to play. If my playtesters consistently tell it's NOT fun to play because it's too weak, well then, it needs to get stronger. Because honestly, if people don't enjoy to play a figure than I don't care how balanced he is, or whether he's in the B range you are shooting for.

And this wasn't some relatively unknown soldier in the 4th row. This was GANDALF. And an A-ranked Gandalf needing certain very specific army builds utilizing all A-ranked support figures to meet that rank is so much better to me than a C-ranked Gandalf.

I've never had this kind of issue with HoSS or other groups I've designed with. HoME had a mostly absent ERB that turned into a one person ERB who had a different agenda than many of the members. Why stall and eventually kill a whole project over a fear of producing A-ranked figures?
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:03 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

57 playtests!!!
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Yes, we definitely have different approaches to playtesting.

For me, I want to design a figure that is fun for people to play. If my playtesters consistently tell it's NOT fun to play because it's too weak, well then, it needs to get stronger. Because honestly, if people don't enjoy to play a figure than I don't care how balanced he is, or whether he's in the B range you are shooting for.
Reading playtest reports takes discernment. "This figure is not fun" is important feedback. "it should be stronger" is advice from the playtesters on one way to fix the "not fun" issue. These are two separate things.

In my observation and experience I think it's really valuable to have three distinct parties:
lead team - they are in the driver seat for the design
playtesting department (aka lead playtesters) - they do initial playtests and help summarize/parse playtest feedback. Theoretically they are more impartial at doing this than the lead team.
playtesters - people who play with the figure and submit reports on how it went

There frequently is overlap (members of the PT department or the ERB are frequently also members of a lead team) but there should never be a group that is composed completely of members of another group in the list.

Quote:
And this wasn't some relatively unknown soldier in the 4th row. This was GANDALF. And an A-ranked Gandalf needing certain very specific army builds utilizing all A-ranked support figures to meet that rank is so much better to me than a C-ranked Gandalf.
An A-ranked Gandalf is concerning because of how much it limits future design space. And because of how much we have to crank up the power level of Gandalf to get there. A B-ranked or even B+ Gandalf that is weaker (but cheaper) seems cleaner to me.

Quote:
I've never had this kind of issue with HoSS or other groups I've designed with. HoME had a mostly absent ERB that turned into a one person ERB who had a different agenda than many of the members. Why stall and eventually kill a whole project over a fear of producing A-ranked figures?
I would agree that I was one of the problems that led to us stalling out. There was some definite dysfunction in how we were handling design + playtest feedback. Some of that was process (a group of mostly two active people that don't know how to compromise with each other is not really a process) and some of that was me. More on that below.

I think the point I'm making, now, about how playtesting feedback should be handled is important. Below are some example of a non-dysfunctional playtest department that functions how I described.

--

playtest department (PtD), playtester (Pt), and lead team (LT) interactions in C3V, with details scrubbed:

Unit1

Spoiler Alert!

Unit2
Spoiler Alert!

Unit3
Spoiler Alert!

There are more great examples but I won't take the time to edit them enough to get them in here.

The important thing is that there are teams of people (no role is held by an individual), there are not too many people, there is brainstorming and back-and-forth, ideas and suggestions are heard out, and finally the lead team is what drives decisions about the design, not playtesters.

There is a time and a place (it has happened before at literally every stage of a design in C3V) for the ERB to say "no, not that way" but it should be rare. And it has to be a majority of the ERB. A single ERB member having this power is effectively just a tyrant, and that's no good. These projects must trundle on, usually over the objections of a minority on this or that matter, or they grind to a halt and die.

--
--
--

--
Old May 14th, 2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
57 playtests!!!
One of the problems was someone (probably me) wanting to always see more playtests to make sure it was balanced before we had settled on whether it actually felt the way we wanted it to. The first goal of playtesting should be to see if the design feels right on the table. Once that is done you can worry more about making sure it's not broken in various edge cases.

The fact that Gandalf had synergy with more than half the other army cards in the game didn't help though, haha.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs