Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Painting and Modification Display Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:

How do you do your dip wash? Never tried that, but live how it looks and want to start painting these guys soon!
I use Pledge Floor Polish (used to be called Future) mixed with brown Walmart craft paint... about a 3 to 1 mix ratio. Mix it together really well and then, the scary part. I take my newly paited figure and I dunk it in the brown sludge. It comes out looking as if I had ruined it.

Then let the excess dip off and let it dry.

Does that stuff protect the figures at all? I've had problems in the past with paint chipping or sticking to other painted figures.
I use Miniwax Polystain:

My figures end up being tough as nails and the stain does a great job highlighting the figure details.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 3rd, 2016, 03:30 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

How do you do your dip wash? Never tried that, but live how it looks and want to start painting these guys soon!
I use Pledge Floor Polish (used to be called Future) mixed with brown Walmart craft paint... about a 3 to 1 mix ratio. Mix it together really well and then, the scary part. I take my newly paited figure and I dunk it in the brown sludge. It comes out looking as if I had ruined it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Flo...fl-oz/15136693

This stuff? And which way do you let it drip? Just right side up?

And @wriggz , your picture isn't showing up!
Old July 3rd, 2016, 03:49 PM

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Flo...fl-oz/15136693

This stuff? And which way do you let it drip? Just right side up?

And @wriggz , your picture isn't showing up!

Sorry about that. That picture should work. I follow this method: the dip it gets awesome results, but you really have to paint your miniatures much lighter than you anticipate if you don't dilute your stain.

When painting I actually paint on the stain and wipe most of it off, instead of letting it stand.

Old July 3rd, 2016, 07:45 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@wriggz , that looks like the same method you would use with army painters quickshade? Does it work as well as the quickshade does. I'm sure it is cheaper.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@wriggz, that looks like the same method you would use with army painters quickshade? Does it work as well as the quickshade does. I'm sure it is cheaper.
I have been very happy with the results. I will post some of my favorite work hopefully this afternoon.

Old July 5th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

I have a tip for those amping up to paint the Innistrad expansion.

Avacyn's wings are a 2nd piece that can be removed. There's a tiny spot of superglue but if you carefully wiggle it out you can separate them. This will make priming/painting her MUCH easier!

Old July 5th, 2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
@wriggz , that looks like the same method you would use with army painters quickshade? Does it work as well as the quickshade does. I'm sure it is cheaper.
Here are some examples of the DIP method I used. Keep in mind these are the first dozen figures I have EVER painted and I will admit I never had much skill in art:

Ruiner:

I Love how these turned out, I actually can't believe I did it.

Elf:

Rhox:

Kor:

I think these do a great job highlighting the wash.

Cowboys:

I painted these up because of @Scytale excellent customs. Actually I could blame him for my foray into customer in general. I'm super happy how the undead Cowboy came out especially for my first paint job.

You'll notice they are a bit more shiny than other miniature lines. Classic heroscape is fairly shiny anyway and I kind of prefer the sheen in the same vein as the wonderful work that @Soundwarp SG-1 does with his custom creations (which are spectacular) and I could only hope to approximate. I did pick up a can of matte clear spray which I used on my Phantoms and Firecats.

All in all painting has been really rewarding. It has also been fairly in expensive. The paint I use is cheep stuff from a dollar store and maybe 1.50 per colour. The Miniwax Dip was only around 5$ and I had the paint brushes lying around. I cannot stress how easy, fast and cheap painting up the AotP figures is and how good the figures end up looking.

For any bystanders I recommend you paint up your figures too. You will be glad you did.

Old July 5th, 2016, 10:24 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

I got started on my Innistrad figs today... Here's a little sneak peek:

Bonus Edit:

Hmmm.... I think I'm liking the smaller cobblestone one I painted white the most.

Last edited by Kajoq; July 6th, 2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old July 6th, 2016, 12:23 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@wriggz , now just hit them with some dullcoat or use some flat krylon clear coat or something. That should knock down that gloss. That's what they recommend with army painters quickshade.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:50 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Bonus Edit:

Hmmm.... I think I'm liking the smaller cobblestone one I painted white the most.
Looking really good. I would really like to know how you do those bases because they all look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Here are some examples of the DIP method I used. Keep in mind these are the first dozen figures I have EVER painted and I will admit I never had much skill in art:

All in all painting has been really rewarding. It has also been fairly in expensive. The paint I use is cheep stuff from a dollar store and maybe 1.50 per colour. The Miniwax Dip was only around 5$ and I had the paint brushes lying around. I cannot stress how easy, fast and cheap painting up the AotP figures is and how good the figures end up looking.

For any bystanders I recommend you paint up your figures too. You will be glad you did.
Wow man, those look fantastic. Especially that Ruiner and scions. I would really like mine to be painted but my skill is nonexistent. Yet, this almost inspires me to give it a go.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 7th, 2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post

Looking really good. I would really like to know how you do those bases because they all look awesome.

(snip)

I would really like mine to be painted but my skill is nonexistent. Yet, this almost inspires me to give it a go.
The base inserts are 'Brush 4 Hire' acrylic inserts that I had for some Wrath of Kings figures I never got around to actually using. I just carefully cut Avacyn off her base with an exacto and re-glued her. The bottom left base is the one I cut her off of.

Get some paint! It's a lot easier than people think it is as first. Start with like 3 colors per fig and more or less just paint by numbers.
#1 secret tip:
Spoiler Alert!
I've heard this stuff referred to as 'brush on skill' and it's entirely accurate. You can hit huge swaths of a figure in a solid color, come back with a touch of the stuff and it will look amazing. It just sits in the grooves and crevices and brings out all the texture on the figure for you. The back of Avacyns tunic for example. It's just a solid coat of green and then a heavy dose of nuln oil afterwards to bring out all the creases and motion on the figure
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:09 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:

Ruiner:

I Love how these turned out, I actually can't believe I did it.

Elf:

Rhox:

Kor:

I think these do a great job highlighting the wash.

Cowboys:

I painted these up because of @Scytale excellent customs. Actually I could blame him for my foray into customer in general. I'm super happy how the undead Cowboy came out especially for my first paint job.

You'll notice they are a bit more shiny than other miniature lines. Classic heroscape is fairly shiny anyway and I kind of prefer the sheen in the same vein as the wonderful work that @Soundwarp SG-1 does with his custom creations (which are spectacular) and I could only hope to approximate. I did pick up a can of matte clear spray which I used on my Phantoms and Firecats.

These turned out beautiful. I love the final results the dip brings. I also really love how unified this makes the set look. I think you might have inspired/motivated me to get off my duff and paint my AotP sets. Especially after reading the BGG article describing the method in all its glorious simplicity.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender