Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. I'm not necessarily a big zombie fan, but I realy enjoyed the way he portrayed this pretty realistically through interviews with "survivors." I definitely makes it seem like something that could happen. I'd recommend it.
I just found out they made it into a movie! Though I must say the trailer dosen't seem anything like the book. Of course I read it a few years, and several Zombie books ago, so I may be confusing the story with something else.

http://www.worldwarzmovie.com/

-insert signature here-
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I finished The Rook last night this morning. Not bad. Not great. I have some complaints, but most of them are related to the fact that it was written in the 21st Century. Naturally, the heroes are all government employees. Overall I enjoyed it, but I probably won't read it again.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:50 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. I'm not necessarily a big zombie fan, but I realy enjoyed the way he portrayed this pretty realistically through interviews with "survivors." I definitely makes it seem like something that could happen. I'd recommend it.
I just found out they made it into a movie! Though I must say the trailer dosen't seem anything like the book. Of course I read it a few years, and several Zombie books ago, so I may be confusing the story with something else.

http://www.worldwarzmovie.com/
No, that doesn't look much like the book. The zombies seem too fast in the trailer, for one thing. They are portrayed in the book more as a slow, relentless, moaning tide. The movie might be good just as another modern zombie film, though.
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry for the double post, but apparently I'm the only one reading in the new year.

Just finished Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. I saw it mentioned a few pages back, and I was reminded that I had previousy purchased a copy on clearance, so I thought I'd give it a try. It was definitely not what I expected, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a fan of hard sci-fi usually, but I liked the idea of a technologically advanced "sleeper" agent trying to bring about a world-wide cultural revolution in a relatively primitive landscape. I'm starting By Schism Rent Asunder as we speak.
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku.

Very interesting look at what the current trajectory of scientific development suggests our society will look like by 2030, by 2050-2070, and by 2100.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

The Ninth Circle by R.M. Meluch (Tour of the Merrimack #4).

-insert signature here-
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
The Ninth Circle by R.M. Meluch (Tour of the Merrimack #4).

Tell me more...

~Aldin, looking for a new series to get into

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM

It's sci-fi all the way. The setting is pretty cool. The Roman Empire never actually fell, it just lied in wait for centuries until in one fell swoop they (the Romans) all up and left Earth to colonize their own words. They see themselves as superior beings and are constantly at odds with the Earth Nations.

Add in an alien threat, a bit of time travel (sort of), and a kick-a$$ Captain of the Merrimack, and you have yourself a really good space adventure.

-insert signature here-
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Currently reading "The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner.

Let's just say that while it has literary merit in spades, it also has no readability going for it. Same goes for "Rabbit Run" and "Rabbit, Redux", both by John Updike, which I've read in the past month.

~Bravey

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Chewer of Cats

I finished By Schism Rent Asunder, and I'm about a third of the way into By Heresies Distressed by David Weber. So far it seems like a good series, with lots of deep political and religious struggles, but since I'm so shallow, some of my favorite parts are when "Merlin" unleashes on some poor guys.

I received A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson, but it has been so long since I've read anything in the series, I'll have to go back to at least The Path of Daggers (Book eight) to catch back up. I used to reread the entire series everytime a new one came out, but I had to stop that around #8 because it just became too much. I'm trying to build up the motivation to dive back in.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:59 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

For those of you who like the mixing of genres that Heroscape gives us, try this new novel...

The first in an epic new fantasy series, introducing a new heroine and a stunningly original dystopian steampunk world with a flavor of feudal Japan. It mixes airships, with Samurai, with mythic creatures and has political intrigue and great imagery.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Ooh, that's sounds really cool, ZB! I'll have to check that out. Could be a while though, I finally started on the Song of Fire and Ice series and I'm currently only a third of the way through A Clash of Kings.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books