Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM

dodonna is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Gen Con Exclusive 2008 revealed by WotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
So take a step back and realize that your vitriol needs to be directed at the WotC employees at the booth. If went through any effort to get you a figure, you owe him a huge thank you, not the crap flinging you have been doing.

~Cav, who wasn't at GenCon so don't try any superiority claims.
Can someone point out to me where I'm spewing vitriol at the posters on this thread? 'Cause I've read back through what I wrote, and I'm not seeing it.

I DID complain to the WOTC employees at the booth, just as I described in detail in my initial post. The only reason I responded to GrungeBob's post was that the conversation he recounted was pretty much the one I had with the WOTC staff.

At no point have I flung "crap" at anyone here; however, I have been forced to defend my version of events from nitpicking and hypothetical questions. Oh, and I was accused of making up a blind friend. Nice.

The "superiority" comment was a failed attempt at sarcasm in response to someone who seemed determined merely to score points.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
From what I understand Skahen may not be strictly a Gencon promo, I do not know, or claim to know what the team has in the works, but I will wait until NHSD to pass my decision.

I do not beleive so either but she will be a promotional item...not an item for sale from WOTC or Hasbro.

What I find most amazing is that people are all gung ho to pay for a repainted figure from WOTC/Hasbro but yet alot of them complained about the proposed "desert expansion" which basically was a reapainted Tundra set.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM

dodonna is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Something is not special if everyone can get it..period. It's like being given membership to an exclusive club only to find out that anybody can get in.
Bingo. There it is. The only reason for making them so ridiculously limited; gotta have "haves" and "have-nots."

Me, I think it's more fun when everyone gets to play at the country club.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodonna View Post
Quote:
Something is not special if everyone can get it..period. It's like being given membership to an exclusive club only to find out that anybody can get in.
Bingo. There it is. The only reason for making them so ridiculously limited; gotta have "haves" and "have-nots."

Me, I think it's more fun when everyone gets to play at the country club.

I don't. I know you hate hypotheticals but....

If you make more money a year than the guy who lives next door to you should you give him the difference so you are even too?

If your family gets to take a vacation to Disney shouldnt you make sure that my family can too so we are all equal?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodonna View Post
Quote:
So take a step back and realize that your vitriol needs to be directed at the WotC employees at the booth. If went through any effort to get you a figure, you owe him a huge thank you, not the crap flinging you have been doing.

~Cav, who wasn't at GenCon so don't try any superiority claims.
Can someone point out to me where I'm spewing vitriol at the posters on this thread? 'Cause I've read back through what I wrote, and I'm not seeing it..
I'm not seeing it either. I think we just have some hot opinions on both sides that are jading interpretations a bit. We all agree that more promos should have been available at the booth and that directing people to the event hall as if they would get a free one there was wrong. WOTC booth workers should have made it clear that you can get one at the event hall by participating in a Heroscape event.

I see no argument to be had here. We all were frustrated and we have people who were on both sides of the situation. I think we all agree what was the optimal solution: More product and better communication.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
You people seem to be missing a huge point that is making.

He doesn't want the promos on eBay. He wants to get them in the hands of 'Scapers; as many 'Scapers as he can. By limiting the giveaways at GenCon to participants, they aren't going in to the hands of 'Scalpers. Then, through giveaways and promotions through this, the best fan site ever, even more 'Scapers have the opportunity to get them without paying $$$ for them. Then, by distributing them through channels to participants of other events, even more are going in the hands of those who really want them, not just intend to sell them.

's vision is promo figures to those who truly appreciate them. As for new players, get the tourney scene going, and you will draw in more players. Those new players will have the same opportunity to get the promos that everyone else has. People at the Cons can sign up for events where there are empty slots and thus receive the figure. It really is an elegant plan.
The purpose of exclusives should be to promote and enhance the game, not promote peoples' ePay stores and enhance their wallets.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM

cycoduck is surprisingly tart

There are some of us who have never been to GenCon and, unless GenCon is moved to their local city, will never go to GenCon.
For myself, I find it very difficult to justify spending money to go to conventions.
However, I am willing to buy the promos for a reasonable price. I am more inclined to purchase the promos from someone here to support their efforts to acquire the promos than I am to purchase from a dealer looking for a quick buck.
From what I've read here, WotC didn't treat the issuing of promos as seriously as they should have, but that might be chalked up to the fact that they are new to handling Heroscape and might not fully realize both the extent of the fan base (both on the forums and at cons) and the impact of their actions. So, instead of the consistent griping that's been occurring, better action may be realized by having an open dialogue with WotC to:
a) Improve upon next year's issuing of promos at GenCon
b) Explore alternatives to promo availability, including local game shop sanctioned events, additional cons or even mail aways (using some sort of proof of purchase or coupon from inside of the packaging [I realize that this element will stink of commercialization, but, let's face it. WotC is in the business of providing games to make a profit])

Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycoduck View Post
So, instead of the consistent griping that's been occurring, better action may be realized by having an open dialogue with WotC to:
a) Improve upon next year's issuing of promos at GenCon
b) Explore alternatives to promo availability, including local game shop sanctioned events, additional cons or even mail aways (using some sort of proof of purchase or coupon from inside of the packaging [I realize that this element will stink of commercialization, but, let's face it. WotC is in the business of providing games to make a profit])
and along with others are already doing just this. They have dialog going with WotC about the handling of the brand, about promo distribution, etc.

Alternatives are already being explored, but sending in proof of purchase has been ruled out as an undesireable methodology by WotC.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
has been BANNED

1-WOTC hates mail aways
2-Even if more were made available there will never be enough to satisfy everyone.
3-How does someone who doesnt play find out about these other promo giveaways? When TRU did the Nerak promotion I do not recall hearing about it or seeing it advertised. There may have been signs in the stores in the days prior but if you didnt go tot he store you didnt know about it.
4-Everyone is all about the exclusives being available to everyone but what about the regular product? The kid who got Scape as a gift this past Christmas does not have Wave 1 unless he got it on the secondary market, but it is unrealistic to expect WOTC to just keep pumping out everything.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I wonder if part of the problem is not around the term "promotional figure." It seems to me that giving away a single HeroScape figure is not at all likely to get someone immediately to go out and buy a $40 Master Set, and they certainly cannot play a reduced version of the game with a single figure, no matter how cool it is. I think the Agent Skahens ("Agents Skahen"?) and the previous figures were really more in the nature of a lagniappe, a small token given to faithful customers by a merchant as a way of saying, "Thank you," but also as a way of rewarding, more with good feeling than actual value, the loyalty of that customer. Now, that does not answer the question of who should be considered a faithful customer, but it sure does exclude those who have had nothing to do with the community or the game. I brought home several Agents Skahen and have given then all away (or committed to), but none have gone to people who don't play the game or people I do not, at least through this forum, know. So, I'm not promoting the game with them, but I do think they are a token of esteem (mine, in this case) for certain people. So, I'll consider these figures as a lagniappe and continue to enjoy giving them away.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
1-WOTC hates mail aways
2-Even if more were made available there will never be enough to satisfy everyone.
3-How does someone who doesnt play find out about these other promo giveaways? When TRU did the Nerak promotion I do not recall hearing about it or seeing it advertised. There may have been signs in the stores in the days prior but if you didnt go tot he store you didnt know about it.
4-Everyone is all about the exclusives being available to everyone but what about the regular product? The kid who got Scape as a gift this past Christmas does not have Wave 1 unless he got it on the secondary market, but it is unrealistic to expect WOTC to just keep pumping out everything.
Wave 1 will see the shelves again, whereas the promos will not. Once produced they are done, no reprints of any kind. Also I am not about promos being available to everyone, but being a huge supporter of the game over here in California, it is nice to have the opportunity to get a promo, not just by attending GenCon.

[Just playing Devil's Advocate Onacara]

On another note, giving out more than 1 promo to those that played in events is actually assisting the distribution of the Skahen's immensely within our community. Kudos to all involved in making GenCon happen!

DWARVES!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
has been BANNED

But Roland if they had given her out at ComiCon then you would have had a better chance at getting her right since it was in California? But still there is not a Con in NYC where she would be given out so again someone is missing out.

I 1000% agree that the way the distribution at the booth was handled this year sucks...but even if it was done more apropriately there was still only 1000 to be given away at the booth.

I an a couple of hundred others PAID to be in an event to get one..so when someone who didnt "pay" to get one feels they are entitled to one because the booth ran out I do have a problem with that.

We always here people say that you should not go to the con just for the promo figure, but what if that is someones motivation going in but once they are there they discover what a great and fun experience GenCon is in an of itself? I went this year to play Scape only...but after a couple of late nights learning a couple of new games with some great people I got to meet in person from the site I know that my next trip will include more time for other things besides Scape.

Its like buying tickets for a Broadway show because XXXXX is appearing in the lead role and then showign up and their understudy is performing that night. Sure it is not what you were expecting but it doesnt mean it sucks either.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News