Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old October 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM

KingArthur1976 knows what's in an order marker KingArthur1976 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renquist
It's not your dad's job to care about other kids - he doesn't have to worry about their future.

When I went to school, I was the classic under achiever. I scored poorly because I was bored and because the teachers sucked. When I had a teacher I liked, I scored very well.

At the end of My senior year I scored 99% on the core skills test. (Equivalent os SATs in america.) I also had to take an aptitiude test for college and scored about 98%. I finished both tests in less than half the time of the other students.

Is it possible you're bored or distracted? Intelligent kids need the proper stimulation, ore their mind wanders, daydreaming and causing trouble and what not.

Not that any of that helps with your Dad, but it may explain the recent decline in grades. You do need to tackle the problem head on though or, believe me; you'll end up living the life you're Dad worries about.

I don't mean rock and roll dreams either. Plenty of talented people end up in a warehouse or a factory; scraping money together from their minimum wage.

I made some poor choices in my time and went from a high profile executive job down under to scrounging a meager living in an industrial plant in the states - crappy hours and crappier pay.

You simply can't give up and it doesn't sound like you will. Weather the storm and improve your grades. If it's necessary, choose a different class.

Yes, my dreams are very ambitious. My goal is to make it into MIT, but I know that this will probably never happen. In history, I think the problem is that we are going throught the industrial revolution, and it is so gruelingly specific, that I can barely look at the teacher....never mind the book. I love my english class (my teacher is hilarious) but I think I missed an essay the week I was out....(it is my dad's fault that I was out...he said that we were going on a family vacation, and I knew that it wasn't going to be a good idea from the start....in fact, that was EXACTLY when my grades started declining.)
I'm pretty sure your dad will never see it this way, but I don't really believe he's got a leg to stand on if he's pulling you out of school a week at a time for family vacation.

Anyway, another thing you can try is to approach the teacher and explain your situation. Ask her what is you need to do to improve your scores. Tell her you are having a real hard time with the subject and ask for advice. You'd be surprised that most teachers are more than willing to work with you as long as you show you are willing to put in the time an effort

Mississippi boy in Ohio valley group.. Hell why not!
Ohio Valley Assoication of Heroscapers

Old October 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Oh, thanks!!! You reminded me!!!

My progress report is online, they don't tell you. Your parents have the password to go online and look. Good thing I'm an A- student ! I'm gonna' check now!

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I don't think I saw this discussed, but is there a chance that there was a mistake? I mean I find it hard to believe that an F came as a complete surprise to you... Usually you know when you are performing unsatisfactorily.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Renquist has disabled reputation
GB raises a very valid point. It's actually quite hard to get an F. That means you're WAY below the average, have attendance issues, don't do your homework and so on and so forth.

Are you telling us everything hm?
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Well GB, I thought I was doing everything well except for history...but I had absolutely NO idea that I was getting anything below a C...nevermind and F!

KingArthur, yes, I know that the teachers will probably help me, but I already asked my history teacher and she said "All you can do is do ALL the work from now on and hope for the best." I really don't think that that was a very encouraging thing to say...

Last year, I would always do very well on tests, but this year, I am doing very poorly. My homework has never been too exceptional, and this year I've done most of it... but I still think that it could use some improvement....(maybe a lot?) But still, I have not missed enough homework assignments to get an F. (I think I have already said something like this in one of my previous posts....) I am extremely stressed right now, because I don't know what to do...If you all wouldn't mind, could you please share tips that you may have used to do homework quickly?

(I just reread that paragraph and it hardly makes sense at all...)

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Renquist has disabled reputation
Quickly is not the point. Doing it right is what matters.

I never studied in school. I simply paid attention in class (when I was interested) and used homework as a refresher course.

If you're paying attention in class, your homework should be pretty simple. If it's simply not sticking, then consider getting some help with it.

I also used to tutor kids after school, and they all improved. It's amazing what a little help and someone willing to help can do.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Most of the time, the teachers do not correct the homework, they only check to see if you have it; my REAL problem is pushing myself to do it at night, after I've had a long day, and just want to relax. I usually understand it, it is just VERY time consuming, especially since I get distracted easily.

Well, it's 11:00 where I am, so I need to get off the comp....thank you for the help so far, I hope I succeed with this.

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Well, either there is something wrong with the teacher or something wrong with you. Well, not necessarilly wrong, I'll get to that.

You certainly have the will to do better, and seem to be doing your best, so I'm going to assume that you have been doing the best you can.

If you truly haven't ever gotten any grade below a 'C', you'll need to go up to your teacher and ask her what you did wrong that contributed to the low grade. Getting stuff wrong is how you learn, but unless you know why it was wrong, you won't learn anything. As far as I'm concerned, the person who goes from D student to B student in high school probably has learned more than the valedictorian. Ask your teacher if she has any ideas on how you can do better. If she shrugs you off, take your case straight to the principal. She isn't doing her job and needs to be reminded on what she's getting paid for. If she gives good advice, follow it. If you are having trouble with specific sections, ask for a review on them. Ask her if it is possible to redo any assignments. Many schools allow re-takes, and although you usually get docked 5-10%, if you're pulling an F, it'll help immensely. Ask her about the time that you only got a day to do a week's worth of assignments, on top of all the other work you had to do for that week you missed. Not even a two-day weekend is enough time to do whole week's worth of work straight from the book with no other help.

The teacher's methods don't seem to be working for you. "All you can do is do ALL the work from now on and hope for the best." If that is a direct quote, this teacher is just stupid.

Oh, and here's a few tips for writing essays, it'll help everywhere.

My government teacher told the entire class about this idea my freshman year, and it has helped me whenever writing an informative essay, and it isn't limited to school, which is awesome. It won't help with creative writing such as poems or stories, but when trying to explain a topic in Science or History, it works wonders. Feel free to tweak it to your needs.

A good paragraph consists of 4 parts, divided into 8 sentences or more.

1st Sentence: Topic, get your basic point accross. This is the 'foundation' of the paragraph.

2nd Sentence: Supporting idea: Say something that helps prove or support the information from the topic sentence. Begin these sentences with a 'transitional phrase' such as "First, To begin with, Continuing on, In addition to, Finally, or Last." There are many more of these words that can be used, and they add to the impression by far. This could be considered the 'main structure' of the paragraph.

3rd. Sentence: Embellish: Go into further detail on the point you just made. If you are explaining how Alexander the Great was a good military strategist, you could give some specific examples of times that he proved his worth. Don't feel limited to one sentence about this. More is good, as long as it isn't excessive. These are the 'Drywall' of your paragraph. The can't hold it up on their own, but they make it look and feel better.

4th-7th (or more!): Repeat steps 2+3 until you have at least 3 supporting ideas with at least one sentence further clarifying or explaining each of them.

Last: Conclusion, restate your topic sentence in a different way. Lets say you just go done writing a report on poetry's historical significance. You could close with something like: "As you can see, poetry has allowed people to make words into art, helping to build many cultures around the world." This final part is the roof of the paragraph, closing it off and wrapping it up.

Well, I hope this helps a little bit.

Pardon the cheesy 'house' model, but it works wonders.

If you are writing something that needs to cover more paragraphs, you can extend the introduction to a few sentences, explain all your supporting details with all the information you can get, and wrap it up with a nice closing, to tie all the data together, and to wind it down to a final statement.

Trust me, with this I have gotten excellent grades in all my subjects, and although it is common sense, you'd be surprised what some people can come up with.

Or you could take Strong Bad's advice (DO NOT REALLY TAKE HIS ADVICE!): http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail64.html

^Flash cartoon, its only a few minutes long and its sure to give you a laugh.

I hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Any parent that gets angry at their child for getting a C in an honor class needs their head examined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
KingArthur, yes, I know that the teachers will probably help me, but I already asked my history teacher and she said "All you can do is do ALL the work from now on and hope for the best." I really don't think that that was a very encouraging thing to say...
Then the next step is your guidance consuler.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:30 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Do what i did. If you have to, have your parent's make you do it, RIGHT after school. They say you're supposed to be given like 2 hours of homework a night, but if you pay attention in class and everything is as easy as you're saying it is, then that 2 hours of homework can quickly turn into an hour, or maybe even less (i usually finished mine in 45 minutes - tops. Not done correctly, but done well enough to satisfy my teachers).

When does your school let out for the day? My high school lets out at 3:45. Bus ride home is about 30 minutes, so i'd get home around 4:15. Grab a snack to eat, be started on homework by 4:30. By the time 5:00 or 5:15 rolls around, i'm already done. Free to do as i please until dinner, then bed time.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
Heh I need to do my homework but I saw your post and it hit home. I am the father of three boys and progress reports came home yesterday. My middle son is in 5th grade and is getting an F and a C among his other grades. I want to give you some perspective from the other side:

I want my kids to do well but I am more concerned with them doing their best. If their best is C's then I am ok with that. My son has no problem doing the work but forgets to turn it in, loses it, forgets his books, etc. I understand all of that and that learning to be responsible is a very difficult thing for him but I still came down on him like a ton of bricks. Why? Because it is better for him to learn this lesson now than to skate by and have to learn it in the real world.

I could care less about other kids and it is NOT the teacher's fault (except in very rare cases). Those are flat out excuses and shifting the blame. It is my job to raise MY son. Along with the education he is receiving, I want him to learn to take responsibility for his actions. He said, "Well I know someone else who is getting an 'F'." I told him I didn't care. I care about his work and effort. What other people do is irrelivent.

You say the teacher is bad. So what. Get over it. Right now, I have a lousy boss. In life you must deal with difficult people. You will have to work side by side with someone you can't stand. You will work for a boss who micromanages everything you do. If you have dreams and goals YOU will need to figure out how to succeed in her class. You may not like her or the way she teaches but it is up to you to decide whether you will let her derail your dreams. Is she worth it?

If you want to take this experience and grow through it, own up to it. Stand up straight, tell your dad, accept responsibility, and accept the consequences. That is what being a man is all about. Tough lesson I know.

With all that said, I would ask your dad for help (after he cools off). Tell him you aren't sure what is going wrong and see if he will come and talk to your teachers with you. When you talk to your teachers, ask them what you are doing wrong and what you can do to fix it. Your parents and your teachers all want you to succeed, enlist their help in making it happen.

One last note, be understanding of your dad when he blows up and punishes you. He is doing the best he knows how to do and it is killing him that you are stuggling. My son looked me straight in the eye and said in a calm voice, "I hate you." It is my job to be his parent not his friend but I have to tell you, that sucked. You are old enough to see beyond yourself and to realize that he is doing what he believes to be in your best interest even if you may not agree with it.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
Did you receive a class "contract" at the beginning of the year? Did it outline the grading criteria for the class. If you believe the F is justified, then just do better. If not, check 'why the F is given. What assignemnts are graded what that recieved the F. Then review the work submitted, check for correctness.

I have many times corrected teachers, In Grammar School, High School and College. Sometimes you think outside the box that they are programmed in.

Example... When leaving NY, what is the shortest direction to Moscow? North, South, East, or West. (Grade 7)

Looking at it on a flat map, East Seems logical (and was the official "correct" answer). But try it on a globe...

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General