Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old November 9th, 2012, 01:42 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HoME Brainstorming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Huh? I'm confused. The only time you can use their power is on their turn, and the only way for it to be their turn is for them to reveal an OM, right?
Unfortunately, that is incorrect. All bonding happens by allowing another figure to take a turn before or after taking a turn with the figure that has the bonding ability. If you read any bonding power--Wyrmling Bonding, Human Champion Bonding, etc., even the cards I just posted, with Mind Link and Kato's Command--you'll see that it says to "take a turn" with the bonded figure. As in, the actual figure takes a whole, entire turn and may use any/all of their abilities.
So, after taking a turn with the bonded figure I reveal my OM?
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

No.

You reveal an order marker to take a turn with a character. If that character has a bonding ability, you use that bonding ability to take a turn with another character. In some cases (like Ulginesh or Kato) the bonding turn replaces the normal turn. However, there is no mention of order markers in either of their powers, so an ability that let them take turns with other characters instead of their own turn would still be usable any time they take a turn, whether there are any order markers on their card or not.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
No.

You reveal an order marker to take a turn with a character. If that character has a bonding ability, you use that bonding ability to take a turn with another character. In some cases (like Ulginesh or Kato) the bonding turn replaces the normal turn. However, there is no mention of order markers in either of their powers, so an ability that let them take turns with other characters instead of their own turn would still be usable any time they take a turn, whether there are any order markers on their card or not.
Okay, now I get it. Thanks.

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; November 9th, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I'll stop wasting space now.
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Quote:
No.

Okay, now I get it. Thanks.
You're not wasting space. It's a good question, and it's important to understand it correctly, as you sought to do.

--
--
--

--
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
BLAZING STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 3.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll once for all affected figures. Roll defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf may only move using Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any enemy figures. Gandalf never takes leaving engagement attacks when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack.
I like the general approach for this, however, would we want to be more specific to only affect opposing figures adjacent? Somehow I think he would ensure the blazing strike would not affect adjacent hobbits, etc. that he's protecting.
Old November 10th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Another idea for the Hobbits:

Underestimated
If an opponent's figure is able to attack another figure you control that is not a Hobbit, your opponent must attack that figure instead of a Hobbit.

This could also be called: Unnoticed, or Sneak.
I just read this from The Hobbit:
"Hobbits have no beards. There is little or no magic about them, except the ordinary everyday sort which helps them to disappear quietly and quickly when large stupid folk like you and me come blundering along, making a noise like elephants which they can hear a mile off."

Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
Quote:
Range 1. Attack 3.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll once for all affected figures. Roll defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf may only move using Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any enemy figures. Gandalf never takes leaving engagement attacks when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack.
I like the general approach for this, however, would we want to be more specific to only affect opposing figures adjacent? Somehow I think he would ensure the blazing strike would not affect adjacent hobbits, etc. that he's protecting.
I picture Gandalf telling the others to get back while he moves ahead and defends the group.
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I've been re-reading The Hobbit, so I have a few more comments on Gandalf:

- at the Back Door, Gandalf used a blazing lightning-type strike to destroy the goblins around him, and then he used the confusion/shock to slip inside the crack before it slammed shut

- when rescueing the dwarves from the goblins, he used a flash of light to disorient the goblins and then took out the chief goblin with Glamdring

- when attacked by the wolves, Gandalf climbed into a tree like the others (and the writer says that Gandalf was also scared)

- the blazing pine-cones he threw at the wolves clung to them and kept burning

- when the goblins came, and it appeared that Bilbo and the dwarves were doomed, Gandalf prepared to leap down and go out in a blaze of glory (where he would surely have been destroyed, according to the writer)

- at the Battle of the Five Armies, Gandalf did not fight at all--he stayed with Bilbo on the hill (perhaps sending a message to Gwahir (sp?)--the Lord of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains). After the battle his arm was in a sling (either from falling rocks or from battling).

Last edited by White Knight; November 14th, 2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I haven't gotten to the Battle of the Five Armies yet.
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:59 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
- at the Battle of the Five Armies, Gandalf did not fight at all--he stayed with Bilbo on the hill (perhaps sending a message to Gwahir (sp?)--the Lord of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains).
Once again a nice write up, but the above statement is not wholly accurate. It is true that in the chapter "The Cloud Burst" it states "Gandalf, too, I say, was there, (Ravenhill) sitting on the ground as if in deep thought, preparing, I suppose, some last blast of magic before the end. Later in "The Return Journey" it also states "and there stood Gandalf, with his arm in a sling. Even the wizard had not escaped without a wound." Therefore we can infer that Gandalf did indeed fight at a later time after Bilbo had been knocked out.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
Quote:
Range 1. Attack 3.
I picture Gandalf telling the others to get back while he moves ahead and defends the group.
I agree with Faure here. Thematically speaking I can't see Gandalf ever attacking his own figures. I still really like the special attack as a whole, it exemplifies several of Gandalf's qualities. If we end up deciding the special attack should effect all figures adjacent to him, then an option would be to give Gandalf the ability to move friendly figures adjacent to him X spaces before attacking with Blazing Strike Special Attack. This would further portray his "stand back and let me fight" mentality that White Knight has pointed out. The one problem I see with it is it could become to convoluted of a power.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Suppose we picked 2 powers, one special attack, and an accompanying power, to portray his 'stand back and let me fight' leadership along with, 'let's run for our lives when I'm done'.

Range 1. Attack 3.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all opponent's figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll once for all affected figures. Roll defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf never takes leaving engagement attacks when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack. Gandalf may only move using his Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any opponent's figures.

LEADERSHIP
After moving with Gandalf, if he ends his movement unengaged, you may move up to 3 figures you control up to 6 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Suppose we picked 2 powers, one special attack, and an accompanying power, to portray his 'stand back and let me fight' leadership along with, 'let's run for our lives when I'm done'.

Range 1. Attack 3.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all opponent's figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll once for all affected figures. Roll defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf never takes leaving engagement attacks when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack. Gandalf may only move using his Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any opponent's figures.

LEADERSHIP
After moving with Gandalf, if he ends his movement unengaged, you may move up to 3 figures you control up to 6 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf.
Very interesting...

What if he DOES take leaving engagement strikes when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack? That would give it a lot more tactical tension, and we could probably bump it up to 4 dice.

--
--
--

--
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Liking those powers, perhaps with a tweak or two, SoA!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post

Range 1. Attack 3.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all opponent's figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Roll defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf never takes leaving engagement attacks when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack. Gandalf may only move using his Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any opponent's figures.

LEADERSHIP
Very interesting...

What if he DOES take leaving engagement strikes when moving with Blazing Strike Special Attack? That would give it a lot more tactical tension, and we could probably bump it up to 4 dice.
Sounds good to me, which gives us an edited version:

Range 1. Attack 4.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all opponent's figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf may only move using his Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any opponent's figures.

Quick Question, how do we feel about the name of the second power? It seems sort of... bland. Any suggestions? Or is it all in my head?

So, if we went with those two powers, do we want to add a third, and what type? Narya? Counsel?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs