Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 16th, 2008, 05:36 AM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation
unique new abilities

Hey guys. So, I've seen customs that have some unique new abilities. I thought we ought to open up a thread that collects ideas for unique new abilities that can be used for other units. This is not a place to post full character cards, unless all of the abilities on that card are inseparable, closely related to the stats, or if you just need to show the full character for the sake of understaning the abilites thematically. Instead, I'd like to focus on a list of abilities.

What makes a good ability? Well, don't worry about balance here. One ability generally does not make or break a character, unless the ability is called, "Die Now" and you get to automatically destroy all enemy figures. What we are looking for here, is imagination, and concise writing. The ability to create an interesting mechanic, which is thorough in its instructions, leaves out any questions or loopholes, and is still written concisely enough to fit on a character card.

I'll begin with some of my ideas:

GLIDING
If this character begins its move at least 8 levels higher than the space on which it ends its move, then it can ignore all figures and terrain features, except figures and obstacles that are as tall as your figure's starting point.

>I created "gliding" for use with characters like Batman, The Penguine (with umbrella), Moon Knight, etc.

SKATEBOARD
This character can move 1 additional space, each time it moves down exactly one level. Skateboard only works on concrete and asphalt tiles.

>I created "skateboard" for Night Thrasher, but it might work for a ninja turtle or something.

TRACKING
Place a tracking marker on the card of one of your opponent’s figures. Whenever that figure moves, the Amazon Scout may also move. If the Scout moves adjacent to the figure she is tracking, or the figure she is tracking is destroyed, you may place the tracking marker on another figure’s card. The Amazon Scout cannot track characters with flight or teleportation. She cannot track a character if it moves through water on its turn.

I created Tracking for the Amazon Scout from Mage Knight. I also gave her the following ability, which works in tandem:

SCOUTING PARTY
Instead of taking a turn with the Amazon Scout this turn, move any 2 friendly unengaged figures within her line of site. The figures must end their moves adjacent to the Amazon Scout, or they may not move at all.

Finally I present a full set of figure stats. I am presenting the full stats, to demonstrate how cheap a character like this would be, in terms of point value, but how much fun it would be thematically. I present the Blood Priestess from Mage Knight:

Blood Priestess (15 points)

LIFE: 4
MOVE: 5
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 3
DEFENSE: 2

MINIONS
If a friendly figure would destroy an adjacent figure controlled by your opponent, the friendly figure may enslave your opponent’s figure instead. Remove any order markers. You now control the figure. Enslaved figures may not take a turn. They only move when an adjacent figure that you control moves. If the enslaved figure does not end its move adjacent to another figure you control, then full control of that figure returns to the player who drafted it.

BLOOD SACRIFICE
Place an altar marker on any space at the beginning of the game. If the Blood Priestess destroys an enslaved figure that is on her altar, you may replace that figure with a hero or squad that has an equal point value to the sacrificed figure. The summoned figure may be a previously destroyed unit or a new one. You control the new unit. Only unique figures may be sacrificed. Squad figures are unsuitable for the Blood Sacrifice.

So, those are some of my more unique ideas for abilities. Feel free to critique or add your own unique ideas.

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:22 AM

Teka555 has disabled reputation
First of All I think this is a good idea and do not know why no one has replied to it.
2. I am assuming that that the minions and sacrifice powers it is a hero and you can not do these with squads Right?
3. What About a specific species (soulborg, orc, marro) aura that affects the attack dice of a special ability like:
DW 9001
Re-Programming
All soulborgs within three clear sight spaces of DW 9001 can add two attack die if using the Rapid fire special attack.
4. Nothing....
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM

Location: Walking down the straight and narrow path in Denver, CO
HighElfCollier has disabled reputation
Nice thread idea.

I have been recently working on two customs, the notable abilities for each are:

TRACKING
Strider negates all 'stealth' type special abilities, so he may roll for leaving engagement damage if a unit has a special ability that usually prevents it.

SPEAR JAB
Range 2. Attack Special.
Any time a figure comes within Handir's range, you may roll one die for entering engagement damage.
~This figure has a long spear, and since no units to date that I have seen have any sort of advantage with their spear, I created one.

Deus Prosapia Sapentia!

Psalm 16:8:
"I will set the Lord before me always, He will be at my right hand so I shall not be moved."
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
I haven't made customs but I have often thought of interesting abilities.

These are some ideas of mine for Dragons:

Rust Breath Special Attack
Range: 4ish Attack: 4ish
Choose a figure to attack. Any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by the Rust Breath Special Attack. Clear line of sight is needed only on the chosen figure. Roll attack dice once for all effected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. Soulborges roll two fewer defense dice against Rust Breath Special Attack. This figure cannot be affected by its own Rust Breath Special Attack.

Chain Lightening Special Attack
Range: 5ish Attack: 4ish
Choose a figure to attack. If you roll any skulls on that attack, you may attack again with Chain Lightening Special Attack. The second chosen figure must be within two clear sight spaces of the first chosen figure and you must roll a D20. If you roll a 1-16 you roll 1 fewer attack die than the previous attack. If you roll a 17-20 your attack has the same attack die as the previous attack. You may continue to attack in this manner until you either roll no skulls or run our of attack dice. You must attack two other figures with Chain Lightening Special Attack on this turn before you attack the same figure twice. Soulborges roll one fewer defense die against Chain Lightening Special Attack. This figure cannot be affected by its own Chain Lightening Special Attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM

Blackrock is surprisingly tart
There is sorrrrt of a thread like this, but it's more of a reference for official abilities and a few chosen custom abilities, found here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=2696

However, it has not been edited since June of 2007 so I wouldn't mind a new catalog like it coming into play, with corrections and fresh abilities to browse.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM

I like the Spear Jab ability. FAVORITE ONE SO FAR.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:45 PM

SquirrelyWrath has disabled reputation
Coordinated Attack - For every other [type or group] adjacent to the defending figure, add one attack die to [self]'s attack roll.

The spear jabs a real nice concept.

Never underestimate the power of a well coordinated squirrel army.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:50 PM

What if there was a blind special attack like....
This attack would be for a wizard

Lightening Strike 8
Special Attack
Choose an opposing figure any where on the board. Roll the twenty-sided die. If 8+ is rolled roll three attack die for the chosen figure. The figure may not roll an defensive die for this attack. This can only be used once per game.
The figure would then have to be about 200 pts. with decent stats
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Here's an idea I had for an ability of a Bishop figure:

Protection From Harm
All opponent's figures within five clear sight spaces of figure x may receive no enhancement to their amount of attack dice from the ability on another figure's army card.

Go ahead, try to bond. See if I care. If I had to do the same thing for defense dice, I would put it on either a necromancer/undead or a drow.

Aura of Despair
All opponent's figures within five clear sight spaces of figure x may receive no enhancement to their amount of defense dice from the ability on another figure's army card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Would be neat to see a wizard or other magical character with this ability:

SACRIFICE TO FATE
After rolling the twenty-sided die for a figure you control adjacent to Figure X, you may sacrifice to Fate. Ignore the result of the twenty-sided die and roll it again. Then add a wound marker to Figure X.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM

keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby! keetacongoo rolls all skulls baby!
There are two special abilities I've always wanted to see. One would involve being able to move the battlefield around, and the other would involve copying one or two of other figures' special abilities
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
You should (if you are able to) put the point value of the ability as well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards