Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Othkurik is much more slight than Kalagrith. The dragon feels masculine with the thickness of the legs and torso of the bronze dragon. I think the feminine quality is mistaken for a serpentine feel it has. The overall mass of Kalagrith vs Othkurik has me feeling that Kalagrith is about 50-60% larger overall.
None of that implies masculinity. In many species, the females are larger and stronger. Anyway, I said that the figure does not look either masculine or feminine because dragons typically look sexually monomorphic.

Quote:
Nilf, Zelrig and Charos's bios all discuss their nobility. All Icarian Dragons I think? This leads me to believe that dragons from that land are held in high regards. A type of royalty has been assigned to them , whether general perception or otherwise.
Then why not Princess? We have two Kings, an Emperor, a Queen, and a Prince. This figure is not big enough to be an Empress or a Queen.

However, again, Mimring and Quahon both hail from Icaria and neither are royal.

--

Anyhow, I've asked my questions and you've offered your explanations. This is not a workshop thread, so to review Kalagrith.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Othkurik is much more slight than Kalagrith. The dragon feels masculine with the thickness of the legs and torso of the bronze dragon. I think the feminine quality is mistaken for a serpentine feel it has. The overall mass of Kalagrith vs Othkurik has me feeling that Kalagrith is about 50-60% larger overall.
None of that implies masculinity. In many species, the females are larger and stronger. Anyway, I said that the figure does not look either masculine or feminine because dragons typically look sexually monomorphic.

Quote:
Nilf, Zelrig and Charos's bios all discuss their nobility. All Icarian Dragons I think? This leads me to believe that dragons from that land are held in high regards. A type of royalty has been assigned to them , whether general perception or otherwise.
Then why not Princess? We have two Kings, an Emperor, a Queen, and a Prince. This figure is not big enough to be an Empress or a Queen.

However, again, Mimring and Quahon both hail from Icaria and neither are royal.

--

Anyhow, I've asked my questions and you've offered your explanations. This is not a workshop thread, so to review Kalagrith.
Not to chime in here late but Capsocrates is right. Just because our species has sexual dimorphism where our males are bigger on average, in some species, that isn't the case. For instance here are some cases:
Spoiler Alert!

Sorry, to be all nature geek, but that's my two cents. Maybe dragons from other planets (such as Toril rather than Icaria) have this sexual dimorphism which is the opposite of Icaria's. It would make it more interesting in my opinion.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:02 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I'm quite mystified by people saying that Baron feels weird when Duke or King or Queen is OK. These are all noble titles on the same continuum. One feels more "human" than another? Why? Would you feel the same way about Count or Marquis? Why?

I get thinking it's a little off in your head-canon, but rejecting the figure because it's a Baron instead of a Princess is just really weird, caps.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I'm quite mystified by people saying that Baron feels weird when Duke or King or Queen is OK. These are all noble titles on the same continuum. One feels more "human" than another? Why? Would you feel the same way about Count or Marquis? Why?

I get thinking it's a little off in your head-canon, but rejecting the figure because it's a Baron instead of a Princess is just really weird, caps.
It doesn't have to be Princess at all. That part was more of a suggestion to do something new in the same vein as what has been done.

I think Duke, Baron, Count, Marquis, Knight, Lord, etc. all feel 'off' for a dragon. They imply that dragons have a much more complicated hierarchy than it seems to me that they do. Kinseth was unable to persuade me to feel otherwise, so I voted .

EDIT: "Prince of the Dragons" / "Dragon Prince"
"King of the Dragons" / "Dragon King"
"Queen of the Dragons" / "Dragon Queen"
"Emperor of the Dragons" / "Dragon Emperor"
all feel 'right' and natural.

"Count of the Dragons" / "Dragon Count",
"Baron of the Dragons" / "Dragon Baron" etc. all just feel off.

--
--
--

--
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:20 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

All dragons are different, and are equipped with differing personalities to match (and not just whats on the card).

Mimring is considered a beast, and probably considered a random wild dragon who eats everyone and takes pride in his methods.
Charos, I feel is an older dragon, given his posture and combat prowess. Respected as a king, and he'll gladly enjoy that title.
Braxas is big and crazy, and her peasants know not to get in her way when she's mad. She likes to know that she is in command, and loves being the center of attention.
Nilfheim is a younger king, possibly because other white dragons love to fight as well. Those who see him in action knows he loves to get into a fight, and is quite the physical fighter.
Zelrig is a prince, and as such hasn't quite developed the maturity to be given the title of king yet. He is still learning and with time his tribes will love him.
Quahon was an enigma, only taking action when it suited her and when she had to feed. This may be because of her lightening breath being wicked and wild... Harming those who aren't her prey isn't her style.

How would another dragon fit? I'm excited to see your response Kinseth.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; December 2nd, 2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Not as in a literal reply, but in HS form
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:22 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I think Duke, Baron, Count, Marquis, Knight, Lord, etc. all feel 'off' for a dragon. They imply that dragons have a much more complicated hierarchy than it seems to me that they do. Kinseth was unable to persuade me to feel otherwise, so I voted .

EDIT: "Prince of the Dragons" / "Dragon Prince"
"King of the Dragons" / "Dragon King"
"Queen of the Dragons" / "Dragon Queen"
"Emperor of the Dragons" / "Dragon Emperor"
all feel 'right' and natural.

"Count of the Dragons" / "Dragon Count",
"Baron of the Dragons" / "Dragon Baron" etc. all just feel off.
So Lord would be OK then?

This is at least a consistent semantic position, albeit a very odd one.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Zelrig is a prince an emperor...
Fixed.

--
--
--

--
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I think Duke, Baron, Count, Marquis, Knight, Lord, etc. all feel 'off' for a dragon.
Quote:
So Knight and Lord would be OK then?

--

Conceivably, Lord might work, as one could be the "Lord of the Dragons" or "A/The Dragon Lord." However, in this particular instance that introduces surely undesirable synergies. I would expect a Dragon Lord to be very powerful, very large, and, considering the Skeletons of Annelintia, somehow possessed of Dark Magic.

--
--
--

--
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Zelrig is a prince an emperor...
Fixed.
So he is. Oops.

The rest of that stuff still stands though.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think Duke, Baron, Count, Marquis, Knight, Lord, etc. all feel 'off' for a dragon.
Quote:
My point is that (at least to my ear) "Dragon Knight" and "Dragon Lord" sound perfectly natural. I suppose "Knight of the Dragons" sounds a little strange, hence my quick edit to remove Knight.

I'm just trying to figure out what motivates your position, since it's very clearly not based on the reality of what these titles meant historically, nor is it based on the way the Hasbro Dragons are portrayed in the lore.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out what motivates your position, since it's very clearly not based on the reality of what these titles meant historically, nor is it based on the way the Hasbro Dragons are portrayed in the lore.
While the dragon bios typically mention numerous varieties of dragons in Icaria, I see nothing in them that leads me to suppose the Dragons had a hierarchy more complex than a simple Ruler* + Child of Ruler** + possibly Ruler-Spouse system in place.

*King/Queen/Emperor/Empress
**Prince/Princess

--
--
--

--
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:38 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--

Conceivably, Lord might work, as one could be the "Lord of the Dragons" or "A/The Dragon Lord." However, in this particular instance that introduces surely undesirable synergies. I would expect a Dragon Lord to be very powerful, very large, and, considering the Skeletons of Annelintia, somehow possessed of Dark Magic.
Lord would work, but I discounted Lord because of the interactions with Skeles(Which should have Undead required in the power if you are asking me...). I wanted to give the feel of a lesser noble/royal to this dragon. Not as big and as large as others, but a small following none-the-less. Duke was another one I was considering, but axed for the same reason. All of these sound fine to me, and Heroscape has painted the majority of the dragons as Royals/Nobles to an extent. Sure they can be otherwise, but that is not how I designed/envisioned Kalagrith to be.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs