Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: Which, if any, of the following events would you attend?
January 8th, Pooled Draft format 2 22.22%
January 15th, Pooled Draft format 5 55.56%
January 8th, vanilla format (bring army of size XXX) 2 22.22%
January 15th, vanilla format (bring army of size XXX) 3 33.33%
January 8th, other format (discuss below) 3 33.33%
January 15th, other format (discuss below) 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Colorado Pooled Draft Event - January 15th

Just vote for which, if any, you would attend in the Denver area. If you have a funky format idea, post it below.

Last edited by dok; January 14th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM

Geryon has disabled reputation
Re: Colorado January Event poll

I thought that what they did in Little Rock, AR for NHSD this year was a cool idea. I believe they had a Point Penalty for using Q9, Raelin 1.0, Rats. If this tournament were to be 550 points, I'd like to see a 75-100 point penalty for drafting any of these cards. People can say that this is a slippery slope, being so heavy handed on these particular units, but I just believe that time and test have proven how much more powerful than most of the other cards in the game that they are. I originally thought that 50 point penalty is enough punishment, but I think that even a Vanilla style tournament would be more enjoyable if that penalty were harsher, say 75-100 of your 550 point army.

Then I would like to see players bringing up to a 1500 point draft pool and standard drafting out of their own pools, and set a rule to where no army card can play 2 games in a row. This way you have to think twice about putting certain things in at certain games, so you can have that strong stuff/stuff you rely on for the next game. Drafting pick time limit 1 minute per pick, can draft multiple common packs at once.
Old December 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geryon View Post
I thought that what they did in Little Rock, AR for NHSD this year was a cool idea. I believe they had a Point Penalty for using Q9, Raelin 1.0, Rats. If this tournament were to be 550 points, I'd like to see a 75-100 point penalty for drafting any of these cards. People can say that this is a slippery slope, being so heavy handed on these particular units, but I just believe that time and test have proven how much more powerful than most of the other cards in the game that they are.
I don't see that. Raelin is definitely way ahead of the pack. Deathreavers and Q9 are definitely the next two in my mind, but the gap is not so large that I feel they deserve to be singled out in this way.

There's this consistent fiction that tournaments are dominated by people playing the three A+ figures, but it doesn't match reality at all. Look through the GenCon results and the NHSD results. Raelin dominates; Q9 and rats don't.

Quote:
I originally thought that 50 point penalty is enough punishment, but I think that even a Vanilla style tournament would be more enjoyable if that penalty were harsher, say 75-100 of your 550 point army.
If we want to play the point adjustment game, I'd much rather take a comprehensive approach, like Cornpuff does here. I'd be willing to try playing a tournament under those point values. It would be pretty interesting to see.

Quote:
Then I would like to see players bringing up to a 1500 point draft pool and standard drafting out of their own pools
That's the "standard"? Funny, when I read the drafting rules out of the rulebook there's no mention of each player having their own drafting pool. And the four recent tournaments in various parts of the country, as well as the two that are being planned, as well as the annual events in Texas and Northern California, all use a pooled draft. I'm pretty sure the pooled draft is the "standard", not a segregated draft.

I know you're a doubter on this, but you should really give the pooled draft thing a try. All segregated drafts do is allow for some counterdrafting - which is nice, but it doesn't shake up the metagame that much, really. A pooled draft completely levels the metagame. If you're afraid of seeing Q9/rats/Raelin, the pooled draft is your friend.

Quote:
set a rule to where no army card can play 2 games in a row. This way you have to think twice about putting certain things in at certain games, so you can have that strong stuff/stuff you rely on for the next game.
I have seen suggestions like this before, and I'm not a huge fan of it. I think this could actually lead to more formulaic army design, not less formulaic, depending on how players approach it. It also really rewards the more experienced players who can plan out their armies... and we don't need the help.

This could also be a bit tricky to keep track of, especially given that we usually use a rolling format as opposed to a round-based format.

Quote:
Drafting pick time limit 1 minute per pick, can draft multiple common packs at once.
A pick time limit is a good idea, I like that. We don't have to enforce it harshly, but we can say that you're expected to average a minute per pick or less. The one downside of our recent draft events is that the drafting process can end up taking a long time.

That said, players should be given a chance to read their opponent's cards before the draft starts, if they are not familiar with the figures.
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Revloscaper is surprisingly tart

I would definitely go for a pooled draft either of those days. Just got a bunch of new scape and I'm eager to try it out
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM

like I said I'll play whatever you guys throw out there, I just think it's lame for someone to be able to completely screw somebody by taking their Bonding Hero away after they've drafted their squad etc.

Maybe things work out a lot differently than this in play, won't hurt to give it a try.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
like I said I'll play whatever you guys throw out there, I just think it's lame for someone to be able to completely screw somebody by taking their Bonding Hero away after they've drafted their squad etc.
Well, after the first pick it's all back to back picks, so you can draft hero+squad in one turn.

Moreover, though, you have to realize that it's not a "free screw" if someone drafts your bonding hero - they are stuck with the hero and no bonding squad. As long as you draft the half of the pair that works better on its own first, you are safe from this sort of denial drafting.

Quote:
Maybe things work out a lot differently than this in play, won't hurt to give it a try.
glad to hear it.

Anyway, before we make up our minds on a format, I'd like to hear from some of our other regulars. Dylan_D is out; kpucblek and Daniel might be in on the 15th. Wild_Imagination? Generalrolondo? chief?
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Wild_Imagination Woo who?

Morning start times are not good for a few months for me. I'm working with European clients and therefore am working 11 pm to 7:30am. I know Valhalla's is open late on Saturday, but I doubt many would want to play from 6pm to 12am (or whenever we would have to clean up and get going).
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM

Night tournament would be awesome imo
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:18 AM

OK, given that it's got more votes, and that we're already pretty close to the 8th, let's call it in favor of January 15th.

Possible attendees so far:
  1. chief
  2. dok
  3. Revloscaper
  4. GeneralRolando
  5. Tolamos
  6. Geryon
  7. kpucblek
  8. Daniel
  9. Wild_Imagination (after 6PM)
Not counting me, the votes were 3-2-1 on format between pooled draft, vanilla format, and other. I love the draft formats, but I could do something else, like a vanilla format, or cornpuff's tweaked point costs, or something else.

Last edited by dok; January 4th, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's actually not very likely I will be attending. As said before I'd need to be able to sell at least $50 worth of stuff to you all in Colorado to be worth closing the store on that day. It takes $80 in sales per day to break even, so even at $50 I am losing a bit of money. Also there is going to be a tournament in Cheyenne later in the month. I'm not good at linking posts but you can find it posted here. I've now got a pretty good number of people playing here so I suspect I'll have at least 10 people at the event even if nobody from Colorado shows up.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:48 PM

Revloscaper is surprisingly tart

I can come the 15th, and bring a map if needed. I am also in favor of point tweaks for certain unit.

This is the link to the Cheyenne Tournament.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM

kpucblek knows what's in an order marker kpucblek knows what's in an order marker

Guys... you're not going to believe it! Crud!!! OF COURSE I have a schedule conflict!!! ARGHH!! We might be able to make it to some of the event, but may have to leave early or arrive later.

Geryon... to address your concerns about the drafting format... don't worry. It's a lot of fun. It's really my favorite format. You get to try out new armies that you probably wouldn't have chosen before. Plus, you get a different army each time you play. (most likely).

Always rummaging through garage sale bins, hoping that someone is dumping their kid's Heroscape treasures.

Last edited by kpucblek; January 4th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events