Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 18th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings: Complete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
You're twisting my tone. I'm sure there are others who are good- the best players like mantrain, mattser, spider poison (when he was playing), lone wolf, scraper dude, dok, etc. the list goes on. I think the general community throws aside the Blade Gruts seeing as the Heavies are considered to be better, so why not use the Heavies? Why bother with the Blades?
Aha! Now that's a great question. As a guy who has played a ton with both of them, the Heavies get more love because they're are so much less reliant on the survival of key heroes to be effective. The problem the Blade Gruts run into over and over again is a clever opponent sniping their heroes and pulling the teeth from the Blades. With Heavies, the loss isn't as extreme.

Now the obvious reason to prefer the Blades is that you can get so many more of them and/or get more supporting units. So if you want to add a ranged component or double up on Orc heroes, the Blades are the way to go.

~Aldin, glad ya asked
And I'm glad you answered! Because my argument stems from the fact that often times, it is just as good to have another hero as it is to have beefier stats, because that hero helps to beef up their stats in turn. Not only that, but the heroes beef up each other, as well. Most people underestimate the power of having another hero.

And for the record, I am still not putting down people's skill.
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
*shrugs*

I took Blades, Ornak, Grimnak, Brunak, Isamu, and Marcu and lost to a Samurai army and a Captain America build at a Mixed Marvel event. They ain't the top of the food chain, imo.
Brutal isn't that great of a choice. It seems more like an Ornak army than Blade Grut army. The Captain America one doesn't matter much. Blade Gruts need Nerak or Raelin. You need to stat boost them so that they become closer to the top of the food chain.
I may have had Nerak too. It was a couple of years ago. All units had Evasive 1 too. I had like 3 or 4 squads of Blades. Hardly all about Ornak.

As far as Brunak being a bad choice, I have to say I disagree. He *made* that army much better than Tornak could have ever done. Giving me added aggression, as well as a nasty threat (and life extending Grimnak) was really the key for me to take the wins I did get. This tactic also worked at the last NHSD when I rolled a heavies variant of that build.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; December 18th, 2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: I went 3-1 with my Heavies, losing only to Augamo... Once more, a 6/6
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Now my question is where's all the love for Tornak?? He's the OG Wave 1 Beatstick that's too slick for his own Blade Gruts and he's harder to kill than Q9 (maybe that's just how it always plays out at my place anyway--Will You Roll Less Than Four Shields For Once!?!?!). That little punk Ornak thinks he's so cool with his one-trick-pony hero bonding for one round. Hey Ornak! You know who's got a better aura than you do!? Hatamato Taro!

I dunno... Orcs are complicated.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 18th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
*shrugs*

I took Blades, Ornak, Grimnak, Brunak, Isamu, and Marcu and lost to a Samurai army and a Captain America build at a Mixed Marvel event. They ain't the top of the food chain, imo.
Brutal isn't that great of a choice. It seems more like an Ornak army than Blade Grut army. The Captain America one doesn't matter much. Blade Gruts need Nerak or Raelin. You need to stat boost them so that they become closer to the top of the food chain.
I may have had Nerak too. It was a couple of years ago. All units had Evasive 1 too. I had like 3 or 4 squads of Blades. Hardly all about Ornak.

As far as Brunak being a bad choice, I have to say I disagree. He *made* that army much better than Tornak could have ever done. Giving me added aggression, as well as a nasty threat (and life extending Grimnak) was really the key for me to take the wins I did get. This tactic also worked at the last NHSD when I rolled a heavies variant of that build.
You're right, in that I'd probably take him over Tornak. All I was saying is I would take Nerak and MBS or Raelin over him.
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Now my question is where's all the love for Tornak?? He's the OG Wave 1 Beatstick that's too slick for his own Blade Gruts and he's harder to kill than Q9 (maybe that's just how it always plays out at my place anyway--Will You Roll Less Than Four Shields For Once!?!?!). That little punk Ornak thinks he's so cool with his one-trick-pony hero bonding for one round. Hey Ornak! You know who's got a better aura than you do!? Hatamato Taro!

I dunno... Orcs are complicated.
There are definitely a lot of different things you can do, which is why it took me 3 years of competitive play to refine my builds. Complicated barely scratches the surface.

I used to love Tornak... But then I found Ornak.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:01 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Nagrubs with TKN. Squish, squish, squish.
75-25

If I'm the one using Blade Gruts, these are the matchup numbers. Period. Some of these may be a little closer, but I doubt it.
Challenge accepted.

Your main event army vs. TKN, grubs x4, Raelin.

Gencon 2014 maps: you pick any 6 and I'll pick 4 of them for the games. Or the other way around, your choice.

Let's see if you can win 3/4.
I gotta see this fight. I'll preorder it on pay-per-view.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Is it possible that these rankings can be changed at all?

Blade Gruts should be moved up, they are vastly superior to Arrow Gruts and only slightly inferior to Heavy Gruts. They should be an A-.
As long as starting zones are there Blades Gruts are well ranked.

They're only really good in something like 400~450 points 24 hex, something which does not exist anymore.

They're a very active unit, so you can't mix them with dragons, majors or Kravs very effectively.

What you can take with them is Grimnak, Nerak, Raelin, Tornak.
You can take all that and 4 squads and you're at 510 points 23 hex.
The problem is that Tornak is not very good, and you don't need 2 fighting heroes, and 3 heroes for 4 squads is a lot, is so you want to cut it, but if you cut it you're à 410 points 21hexs, this kind of format doesn't exist.

Now that the standart SZ is 16 hexes, Blade Gruts are burried 6 feet deep, they even didn't deserve B+ with this SZ.

Old December 18th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Quote:
Is it possible that these rankings can be changed at all?

Blade Gruts should be moved up, they are vastly superior to Arrow Gruts and only slightly inferior to Heavy Gruts. They should be an A-.
As long as starting zones are there Blades Gruts are well ranked.

They're only really good in something like 400~450 points 24 hex, something which does not exist anymore.
They work pretty well no matter the restrictions, as long as it's 400+ points. I haven't used them enough in lower point limits to know.

But it seems you're skipping over my 5-0 which impressed and surprised many including me?
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not User Name View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nagrubs with TKN. Squish, squish, squish.
75-25

If I'm the one using Blade Gruts, these are the matchup numbers. Period. Some of these may be a little closer, but I doubt it.
Challenge accepted.

Your main event army vs. TKN, grubs x4, Raelin.

Gencon 2014 maps: you pick any 6 and I'll pick 4 of them for the games. Or the other way around, your choice.

Let's see if you can win 3/4.
I gotta see this fight. I'll preorder it on pay-per-view.
We accept PayPal.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I played against Blades x4, Raelin, Nerak, Grimnak, Krav, Heirloom once (Cornpuff in 2011 Tournament of Champions). That was really solid.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:32 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

I don't see Blades as A-, I play alot of competitive heroscape. I think they are a solid unit, but not in the range with the other A- figures.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
I played against Blades x4, Raelin, Nerak, Grimnak, Krav, Heirloom once (Cornpuff in 2011 Tournament of Champions). That was really solid.
That's much more competitive than straight Blades. It's just I find it hard to play range. (Won't say what I would otherwise, already got people offended for it before).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion