Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 13th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Fardog has disabled reputation
Can I play a Master Game Scenario using Basic Game Rules?

There seem to be a lot of Master Scenarios around and not too many Basic ones. If I have the right characters and landscape for a Master scenario is there a big problem simply using Basic Game Rules?

Or, are there Basic Game scenarios somewhere that I don't know about. The only ones I know of now are the 3 in the RotV set.

I have cancer and although I am doing pretty well right now, you never know. Bottom line is that I love the look of the game and just started playing it, but do not want to put in the time to deal with all the things in the Master Game.

Please be honest about it. Even with the above in mind, I don't want to play Master Scenarios with Basic rules if it unbalances the game or in some way screws it up. Thanks everyone.
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:37 AM

ewabbie knows what's in an order marker ewabbie knows what's in an order marker
After 1 or 2 games with the basic rules it get's pretty boring. The master rules really are not that hard to follow. I really can't recommend playing by the basic rules. The master rules are so much more fun! give it a try. One game and you will pretty much pick up 90% of the rules and have 110% more fun. :banana:

Sorry to hear about the cancer. Stay positive and I'm sure the prayers of the Heroscape community are with you.
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Can I play a Master Game Scenario using Basic Game Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardog
There seem to be a lot of Master Scenarios around and not too many Basic ones. If I have the right characters and landscape for a Master scenario is there a big problem simply using Basic Game Rules?

Or, are there Basic Game scenarios somewhere that I don't know about. The only ones I know of now are the 3 in the RotV set.

I have cancer and although I am doing pretty well right now, you never know. Bottom line is that I love the look of the game and just started playing it, but do not want to put in the time to deal with all the things in the Master Game.

Please be honest about it. Even with the above in mind, I don't want to play Master Scenarios with Basic rules if it unbalances the game or in some way screws it up. Thanks everyone.
The Master game comes pretty naturally very quickly, so don't give up on it.

As a double cancer survivor myself (colon and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma), let me say, "Don't give up on yourself, either." Hang in there. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about the stuff you're dealing with. I am blessed that after three and a half years of various chemotherapies and surgery, I am now cancer free. I hope the same for you soon (the freedom, not the years of therapy!).

Oh, and welcome to the game and the site!
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Just remember, in the basic game, pieces with wings can't fly and dragons don't breath fire. The Master game is not difficult to pick up, at all.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
While I agree that the master game is great, we're not all answering his question.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't play with the Basic Rules on those scenarios, but with the absence of point costs, I think I'd just try to give each player the same number of Army Cards and let them set up in the specified starting zones. Everything else should be okay I think, except glyphs. There are no glyphs in the Basic Game, right? (Or at the very least any healing or initiative glyphs would have to be removed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Fardog has disabled reputation
Thanks for reponses and nice thoughts everyone.

Couldn't you use the points as described on other side of card for the basic game?

Or at least, have opposing armies that match up well on Attack and Defense values.

Will look closer at your suggestions of Master Game too. Thanks.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Just remember, in the basic game, pieces with wings can't fly and dragons don't breath fire. The Master game is not difficult to pick up, at all.
Actually. Mimring has 6 range in Basic.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

While the basic stats are different to represent the figures a little better, ie: (lots of life equals higher defense, good attack powers equals higher attack value etc), I am not sure points are really that relevant in the basic game. Pretty much every figure is just as fragile.

Here is something to ponder... Imagine playing an entire game with ALL Deathwalkers. We know how fragile the Deathwalkers are and while playing the basic game, everyone of your figures gains the DW roll curse.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Me, when I play Basic Rules Scenarios, I have set Atk,Range,Defense and Move numbers based on the Map. Example: The Table of the Giants, I'd allow up to 10 figures,combined move of up to 50,combined range of 18, combined attack of 17, combined defense of 20. Use the starting zones of the Master Sets and Enjoy.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios