Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 17th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Heh. For someone who plays M:tG, she sure thought the game was complicated. It's heroscape. *shrug*
Her husband mistook it for warhams.
It took them 3 hours to play before they quit.

It's interesting to see a non-boardgamers take on it.
Wow. Imagine her chagrin if the game included a ton of tiles like RotV! Sounds like it would have added a couple hours to their evening.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yeah. I found that humorous. Another review from a 'scaper said it played fast, really fast. I would link that one but he uses rough language.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:18 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"Here's Cathy who's lived most everywhere
From Zanzibar to Berkely Square
But Patty's only seen the sights
A girl can see from Brooklyn Heights
What a crazy pair!

But they'r cousins
Identical cousins
And you'll find
They laugh alike
They walk alike
At times they even talk alike
You can lose your mind
When cousins are two of a kind!"
--Theme Song, The Patty Duke Show(1960s)

Chas
In Brooklyn Heights

Last edited by chas; July 20th, 2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

"They stalk alike." ??

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Yeah. I found that humorous. Another review from a 'scaper said it played fast, really fast. I would link that one but he uses rough language.
I've only played a couple of 2-player games so far and they lasted about 15 minutes each.

However, I wasn't drunk, which might have made a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:13 PM

jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby! jwsanner2 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Heh. For someone who plays M:tG, she sure thought the game was complicated. It's heroscape. *shrug*

Odd decision to have a non-board game person get an advance copy for review. Oh lord, she thinks 20 pages of rules is a lot.
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

My thoughts exactly. But perhaps it's good marketing to send review copies to people who dont normally play boardgames?
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ironically enough, magic has amassed quite a rule-book if you actually want to know enough to win and understand the stack.
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evar-Scarcarver View Post
Ironically enough, magic has amassed quite a rule-book if you actually want to know enough to win and understand the stack.
You arent kidding. I recall being a level 1 judge prior to Ravnica's release. The rulebook fills a binder and is more akin to Advanced Squad Leader in size and scope. And yet, still more complex than even that. it reads like a legal manual.

Having a background in M:tG actually made the game easier for me to understand and play. When situations arose that weren't covered by the rules, using M:tG logic was the default way for us to handle it. And it seemed to work.

Which may be why the rules handling spell play is so minimal. It might assume prior knowledge. Which is bad. But I expect that we'll see a meatier rulebook covering such, as new spells/spell types (instants)/units are released.
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsanner2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Odd decision to have a non-board game person get an advance copy for review. Oh lord, she thinks 20 pages of rules is a lot.
It seemed like a person whose board game experience maxed out at monopoly. 5 actions is a "Whew"(She even counted drawing a card as part of the turn, or moving/activating your figures). And you'd be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't have at least 20 pages of rules.

You know what would have been cooler than Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers? Heroscape: Arena of the Planeswalkers master set as a way to combine the two worlds in the same way they joined DnD and Heroscape. You'd at least have had several dozen diehard fans of the game, and Magic fans might have found it interesting.

I might pick this up, I'm still on the fence, I think my money might be better spent on a game that I don't already have.
Old July 18th, 2015, 01:08 AM

McHotcakes knows what's in an order marker McHotcakes knows what's in an order marker McHotcakes knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Good lord that review is baffling. The Heroscape system is one of the easiest game systems to learn. It's rules are clear and straightforward. Far clearer than Magic is.

I got the game today and within 45 minutes I had read the *new* rules set up the board and had already played a couple of games. I have to question the reviewers credibility if they couldn't even get through one game after three hours.

And I find it laughable that they thought a 20 page rule book is long. I mean really? Smh

My Customs My Super Customs
I see you quiver with antici...
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 18th, 2015, 01:10 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I did some scanning done today so you guys can look at an except of the rules and the cards:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z6kynzp6q...nFjSTj9xa?dl=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion