Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 16th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I agree with you @Cleon - I call it "eliminating potential threats to their own juicy Ca$h Cow$." There is a lengthy Geeklist on BBG about how WotC's parent corporation, THE HasBORG, ate the World (or at least the gaming industry). They also have a long sordid history of not just acquiring the rights to publish games, but entire game companies (i.e. Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers, etc.) and discontinuing MANY wonderfully great games that did not fit into their plans to maximize the return on their investments.
I tried to buy a copy of Mousetrap the other day and couldn't find it in stores anywhere. Turns out it has been discontinued. They have a nerfed toddler version out now, but I had to track down an old stock copy of the original on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Potential Major Forums...
You could just create a forum for other board games in general. Especially those related to scape in some way.

Games that Tastes Like Heroscape
It's Heroscape But It Isn't
Champions and Commons
I Can't Believe It's Not Heroscape?
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:27 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Attention Lurkers:

Many of the most excited people in this thread do not speak for most of us. We like them anyway, because they're our peeps.
Honestly, the above quote ought to be added to the OP of any of our threads that run on and on and on and on....

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You know what I am most excited for about this game, other than the fact that it looks like a great stand alone game, than anything else? Yes it is a great stand alone game as mentioned, but there are plenty of those, so what else could it be? The figures are cool and to scale making them ripe for customization, but C3V, SoV, HoSS, C3G, and many others have been doing great work along those lines already with figures from different games. Is it because it is a new Wizards of the Coast product... no.

No, what has me most excited is the new terrain. We have figures and other great gaming option but we do not have a place to get new terrain. Granted it is few tiles, but it is something. Now why do I bring this up? Of course I want more terrain, but I'd have to buy a ridiculous number of sets to get it. However an idea recently came to me. Remember a few months ago when that group, I can't quite recall its name, came with that kickstarter campaign to make terrain tiles compatible with heroscape. They had an ad on the home page (checks to see if it's still there for the name, no? drat). Anyway, but my point is, has anyone contacted them? I know one of them was a member. It could be a new opportunity for them to try again. Especially since I'm sure a lot of people buying this game would like a solution for the lack of terrain in the AotP set. I don't know, it could potentially be a more "reliable" way to get new terrain that could work to the advantage of both games. Food for thought. Feel free to find flaws in my plan or maybe see if my crazy scheme could work.

EDIT: Hyground Tiles thats there name, thanks to Heroscaper Guy

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...

Last edited by Crixus33; July 16th, 2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Hyground tiles
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:53 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

its more this :

than this :

That is the whole reason it came out looking and smelling like Heroscape.
Hasbro has got to be the one with final say on this product, not Wotc.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; July 16th, 2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: IMO anyway i have no idea for sure
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:54 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crixus33 View Post
You know what I am most excited for about this game, other than the fact that it looks like a great stand alone game, than anything else? Yes it is a great stand alone game as mentioned, but there are plenty of those, so what else could it be? The figures are cool and to scale making them ripe for customization, but C3V, SoV, HoSS, C3G, and many others have been doing great work along those lines already with figures from different games. Is it because it is a new Wizards of the Coast product... no.

No, what has me most excited is the new terrain. We have figures and other great gaming option but we do not have a place to get new terrain. Granted it is few tiles, but it is something. Now why do I bring this up? Of course I want more terrain, but I'd have to buy a ridiculous number of sets to get it. However an idea recently came to me. Remember a few months ago when that group, I can't quite recall its name, came with that kickstarter campaign to make terrain tiles compatible with heroscape. They had an ad on the home page (checks to see if it's still there for the name, no? drat). Anyway, but my point is, has anyone contacted them? I know one of them was a member. It could be a new opportunity for them to try again. Especially since I'm sure a lot of people buying this game would like a solution for the lack of terrain in the AotP set. I don't know, it could potentially be a more "reliable" way to get new terrain that could work to the advantage of both games. Food for thought. Feel free to find flaws in my plan or maybe see if my crazy scheme could work.
Hyground tiles, they had an article in the codex.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old July 16th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
Quote:

Hyground tiles, they had an article in the codex.
Yes them. Thank you very much.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old July 17th, 2015, 02:28 AM

ced1106 is surprisingly tart

Well, I'm glad *something* is out there resembling HS!

Also, I'm glad that the game uses unpainted miniatures. (: That means fan content can use the unpainted mini's from the D&D Adventure Games, Descent, etc. I'm currently backing the Reaper Bones III KS, and will happily *not* paint these mini's to use them for Planeswalker!
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:09 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
@Grishnakh , having now played this game, and having previously played with your custom rules and figures, I will say: this game is closer to Heroscape in mechanics than your (awesome!) work (which sits in the Custom Marvel Heroscape section of the boards). Make of that what you will.
OK, drag me back into this! At least you said my customs were awesome!

MtG: AotP is not billed as a Heroscape game. It doesn't say it's a Heroscape game, it doesn't say it's inspired by Heroscape, it doesn't say it's from the creators of Heroscape, etc. To me it sounds exactly like they are trying to distance themselves from Heroscape. So, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying it's not Heroscape and belongs, at least on our Heroscape site, in Other Games.

Go back and look at BattleMasters. It plainly says from the creators of HeroQuest. In the beginning Heroscape said it was from the creators of HeroQuest. Sadly, at least to me, this new game doesn't acknowledge it's heritage. This is a Magic the Gathering game that does indeed use the Heroscape game engine yet makes no mention of it's source material, or acknowledges it's fan base. Makes me wonder how much input Stephen Baker had in this game's development and if he somehow fought to include the HeroScape/Quest name.

As for my stuff it's posted on a clearly marked Heroscape web site, clearly under the heading Heroscape Comic Hero Custom Creations. I consider my stuff as an add on to the existing Heroscape rules and they work soundly within those rules. If you somehow feel that they are too different a) don't use my rules and b) I would infer from your statement that you think the same of all unofficial customs on this site.

So that's what I made of your statement. Perhaps what I don't get is your point here.

Maybe we should change the title at the top of every page on this site to read:

Your Source for all Things 'Scape! and things that are like 'Scape but don't call themselves 'Scape
I understand you a little better now. It's the spirit of the thing that bothers you. My point was just that there are fewer differences in the mechanics of gameplay between playing Classic Heroscape and playing Arena than there are between playing Classic Heroscape and Grishnakh's Super Scape. I think that's a very debatable statement on my part, though.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:41 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
<~snip/snip~>
... Does anyone have a better idea?
Yes, I have a better idea. Give WotC some nickels too.
~~lol~~ Yeah, I would have given them (via amazon) about 12,000 nickels yesterday if they weren't "TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post

I tried to buy a copy of Mousetrap the other day and couldn't find it in stores anywhere. Turns out it has been discontinued. They have a nerfed toddler version out now, but I had to track down an old stock copy of the original on eBay.
There is now an "u-build (tm)" version of "Mouse Trap" by Hasbro that I see all over the place here in NJ. It is very Lego-ish, so don't try to tell me that it's the price of oil to make plastic that is preventing them from making more HeroScape tiles.
Quote:

EDIT: Hyground Tiles thats there name, thanks to Heroscaper Guy
These are my sentiments exactly. And I would have supported the HyGround Tiles KS if they had come any where even close to meeting their goal. By the way, we fans were promised that they would try to launch a new, less ambitious, KickStarter Project this past Spring and I was very disappointed that it didn't happen as planned. You can find them on FaceBook~dot~COM.

What I was trying to convey in my previous comments is the hope that we might see some new terrain tiles from Hasbro that are compatible with HeroScape IF enough customers are asking for them. Maybe something in the way of a Plains or Desert expansion for "MtG:AotP" that would be similar in design to our beloved: Road thru the Forgotten Forest, Volcarren Wasteland, Thaelenk Tundra, or Ticalla Jungle. Now wouldn't that be some awesome sauce or enhance our collections?

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; July 17th, 2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Fixed link url link that wasn't working anyway
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

A review from a Magic player.
I Played 'Magic: The Gathering -- Arena of the Planeswalkers' And All I Got Was Drunk

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 17th, 2015, 03:58 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced1106 View Post
Well, I'm glad *something* is out there resembling HS!
A salient point. One worth repeating.
Old July 17th, 2015, 04:06 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Heh. For someone who plays M:tG, she sure thought the game was complicated. It's heroscape. *shrug*
Her husband mistook it for warhams.
It took them 3 hours to play before they quit.

It's interesting to see a non-boardgamers take on it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion