Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old January 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM

TyG17 has disabled reputation
Warhammer

Ok I have heard about the game and I was looking for people who have played it before. I want critiques good or bad about the game. I am interested in any kind of strategy game and this one kind of appealed to me so I am asking you guys to help me out.

Let the critiques begin...

Ty G
- There will never be another me...

Back from the dead...
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
40K or Fantasy?

I have only played Fantasy. Its fun if you like painting minitures and spending your game time measuring your movements with a ruler, and spending the rest of the time looking up rules in the 200+ page rulebook and then even more time looking up more rules in your Armies rulebook, so if you like looking up lots and lots of rules and stats its a ton of fun!

Its too fiddly for me.

Oh and its a money pit! More so than Heroscape. Way more so. Way way more so.
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It's a good game, I haven't given up on playing it, but since HS I haven't played it .

However I would recomend picking HS or Warhammer unless you have loads of money you want to part with. Warhammer will cost as much or more than HS .

You have now been warned.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I tried to play Fantasy years ago. I thought the models were sweet, but I've never finished reading the rule book. Too much for me. We played maybe 8-9 times total in like 3 years cause it was such a hassle to get together. The whole system just felt very clunky to me. nether is not joking about that rule book. It was very big and you had to reference it on almost every play you made. I also got tired of sitting crouched under a bright light trying to paint. If you do decide to get into it, be prepared to drop some serious coin. Single models smaller than Nilfheim can easily cost $50 or more. I'm also not a fan of using a measuring tape to move units.

I've never played 40K, but I hear the rules are even more complicated than Fantasy. Not my cup o' tea.

EDIT: The artwork and stories are pretty freakin' cool though.
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have played and liked Fantasy, but it is a lot of money and time to play, so it has been on the backburner for several years. The last time I played was a tourney when I was in college.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
I played both fantasy and 40k for about 15 years waaaay back in my youth. If you love painting miniatures, but don't mind having those miniatures "phased out of the rules" every five years, then go for it. Stand by for constantly raising prices, new rules editions for each game about every 4-5 years (making your current rules obsolete), much reading, and much spending of $$$$.

My advice? Stick to Heroscape. If you want a minis game where you paint... try Warmachine.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:24 AM

Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker
My frieand has the LOTR Warhammer (Well just an expansion). Now I told him about the constant rule changing, having to paint your own figures, the huge set of rules, the prices.......but he still went for it, and so far hasn't painted a single mini or even tried to get any more figures(or the rules fort that matter.) I'm sticking with HeroScape, although I have agreed to play some Warhammer with him when it's finally ready. (If he is able to teach me all the rules)

He keeps trying to say that the figs paint jobs are better than HS figures. I tell him it depends on how well you paint. He then responds by saying "It not hard to paint you know". He's in for a suprise. :P

Never negotiate the truth. - Serj Tankian

Trade List: Please contact with offers. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ostcount=10010
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:22 AM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Heroscape is a game.

Warhammer is a hobby.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:15 AM

countblah has disabled reputation
Warhammer's small scale games are more fun and less of a money pit than their large scale games. I speak of

Space hulk
Blook bowl
Necromunda
Mordheim
Warhammer Quest (especially Warhammer Quest)

And so on. A far better investment, and much more fun.

Waiting for my old avatar to dry off. And to quit stinking, too.

Old January 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
space hulk is cool you donot need much if you hbuy the 2nd edition. the first with two expansions.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:47 AM

Miniature Geek is surprisingly tart
Pretty much if it says Games Workshop, it means loads of money. However the one thing Games Workshops makes that I enjoy, is White Dwarf. A miniature magazine that has tips on making terrain, customizing figures, and painting tips.

However, our very own codex does that now and doesn't cost you 8 dollars a pop, and is also all about heroscape.

Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

My Customs

Better Posting and You Revisited.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpade
Heroscape is a game.

Warhammer is a hobby.
Hobby - an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

Heroscape is a hobby. Warhammer is a chore.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures