Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old January 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Tournament Director Deluxe

Satyr is surprisingly tart
Re: NorCal New Year-New Army Tourney.

Opposite pages, but it doesn't matter. I looked at it a bit closer. With the scoring presented above, the first game point differential is 3 points between the winner and loser, regardless.

Cry endgame and let slip the doggin of war.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

We're pretty skilled to not have noticed that right away. *High-five!*

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Reading Satyr's ideas suggested another idea to me.

At KublaCon, I regularly run a "Worst Magic Deck" tournament. In that tournament, you design the deck but never play with it - you play with everybody else's decks. The scoring, though, is what is brought to mind: if you (the player) win your game you get one point, if your (designed) deck loses you get one point.

This suggested to me the idea of requiring a forced exchange after the first round, but, in every round, you get one point for you (the player) winning (zero for losing) and you get one point for your original army winning (zero for it losing).

Of course, you won't ever want to play against your own original army because, win or lose, you can gain at most 1 point for the round. So some way of avoiding this occurrence would need to be devised.

In the WMD tournament, this is avoided by a regular progression around the table so that each player plays every other player once and only once. The exchanges are similarly regularized. I don't know how the progressions will be organized, so something like this may or may not be effective.

~Chris

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM

A HS progression can get a little tricky. Matching up opponents are generally easy, but the extra variable of the battlefield can get weird. I generally like to have everyone play a new map each round, but towards the end of the tournament it may not be possible. We just make it work.

I usually start from the top contenders and work my way down.
"Any maps you both haven't played?"
"No"
"What map do you both want to play?"

If your at the bottom you get the dregs ... thems the breaks. The losers really get the shaft.

Old January 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
A HS progression can get a little tricky. Matching up opponents are generally easy, but the extra variable of the battlefield can get weird. I generally like to have everyone play a new map each round, but towards the end of the tournament it may not be possible. We just make it work.

I usually start from the top contenders and work my way down.
"Any maps you both haven't played?"
"No"
"What map do you both want to play?"

If your at the bottom you get the dregs ... thems the breaks. The losers really get the shaft.

So, in general, you progress to opponents at your approximate level? (Win level or points level?) E.g.: best v. best, middling v. middling, worst v. worst?

~Chris

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Wow, just found this. Let's get our game on!

EDIT: Sent a PM to as many people as I could remember (I think like 7 or , so some more people should be here soon!
Good lookin out S1R!
Haven't had a chance to read thru it all,
but I'll be there!

Need anything?

9 RotV - 4 SotM - 5 DDMS - 2 MarvelScape - 7 RttFF - 6 FotV - 5 VW - 4 TT - 4 TJ - 5 GC Xclusive - 6 FB's - 1,561 Figures - 7,147 Hexes - 174.24% Complete -
(All for just $4,000 BUCKS)
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Glad you can make it Dnutt! I know I'll be asking you to bring a map or two. Probably need to swing the convo back that way as well.

Any further comments on possible maps. I have three possible map to still choose from in the opening post- if you'd like you may suggest others. But I'd like to have maps finalized in say, seven or so days if we can. Gives attendees plenty of time to scope them out that way.

CMgames- Yes. Attendees at Heroscape tournaments usually will find themselves paired up with other players in the same win/loss ratio. You idea is intriguing, gaining points for having the army you provide do well over the course of the tourney. Its a unique solution to a problem I solved in another way- ensuring people don't bring bad armies to the tournament and force other players to use them by only allowing army switching to be done by winning players. While I don't think your idea will see use this time, as I already said it's intriguing and I'm going to think about it more.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Last edited by RoninValentina; January 15th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Reigning NorCal Champ

Alastair MacDirk has disabled reputation

THE TROPHY IS ON THE LINE

The trophy is already at Endgame. It has been on display there in the SHRINE OF CHAMPIONS since last year. I encourage everyone to visit it and admire it. That's about as close as your gonna get to it though. I am gonna defend the throne. Will not let the laurels befitting the greatest heroscape player in all of Northern California be usurped by pretenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBladeCB
And I have a man crush on good looking robots.

Old January 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Reigning NorCal Champ

Alastair MacDirk has disabled reputation

Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere in the thread..... the tourney scoring. If you are undefeated with one army you could lose to someone that went 4-1 but switched????????

I gotta agree with Satyr's point that after my finely tuned, Swiss watch, skull pumping, indestructible army lays my opponents ill-conceived, non-synergistic, steaming pile o' plastic to waste, why would I wanna wipe his tears off the pieces and try my luck next round with it?

It rewards you if you are lucky enough to play and beat someone that had the sense to bring a worthy army.... you can think about the swap. If you play a noob that brought his Kelda/Dund build, you're forced to play the hand you brought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBladeCB
And I have a man crush on good looking robots.

Last edited by Alastair MacDirk; January 17th, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Maps ...

Just noticed on Katsuno Land, the side with the large ruin has only one land hex exit (the others are water). The small ruin has a one land hex and one ice hex. I haven't played the map so it is hard to tell, but even with heavy snow and slippery ice this does not seem to balance. It's a cool looking map, but that just might break it.

A second exit for the large ruin would be nice, but a water hex for the small ruin might be a better fix.

Old January 16th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Dignan has a TT, FotA, RotV map as well (Although I'm unsure of the elevated road). Would you guys be willing to try something different and go with the split start zones in Can't See the junglt? You can check out both that map and Ghost of Thorgrim's Crossing here.
Old January 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just popped in to see what New Army was all about.

Heck of an idea--just really really cool.

I wish I could be there for the fun and I look forward to seeing how it plays out!

Doopa is Polish for awesome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events