Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: I'm gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by master of disaster
Sorry to rain on your parade here, but if I were you, I would be ashamed of being a dirty Jew.

One of the things that makes my blood curdle the most is Jews. Personally, I would rather have been ignorant to the fact that you're a Heeb. Everytime I read one of your posts from now on, I'm going to think "oh, there's the Jesus-killer." Sorry for my rudeness, but i am being ruthlessly honest with you.
Playing it up because you realize the original wasn't bad enough to make your point? Here's how it would have read as a "slur" against Christianity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairly mild with a chance of offensiveness
Sorry to rain on your parade here, but if i was you i would be ashamed of what i was.

One of the things that makes my blood curdle the most is Christianity. Personally, i would rather have been ignorant to the fact that your a Christian. Since now every time i see a post by you i'll think "ick its the bigot." Sorry for my rudeness, but i am being ruthlessly honest with you.
If you think this board wouldn't tolerate that post you are dreaming.

~Aldin, neutrally
That might be fine if it was just a typical thread about religion. However, this is Sujoah's thread. I don't think MoD's original post in this thread is any worse than someone posting your version in a thread of someone who had just found Christ. Even if you think that, it is very rude to post it in a thread meant to celebrate it.

And like dok said, it changes when you go from an "out" group to an "in group."

~Rednax

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker
A Few Thoughts

Like I said in the Hangout, you've got my, and that of many others, support, Sujoah.

I've never understood the discrimination that people face for something such as sexual orientation. Whether or not your religion forbids something, why would you care if someone else chooses (or doesn't have a choice) to do something that has no impact on you whatsoever? So what if someone is homosexual? It is simply what someone finds attractive. It no more defines someone than someone's being straight does.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't fine what he said offensive. Incredibly ignorant and hateful, but not offensive. This is partly because he used double negatives and never capitalized an I, so I know he's just trollin.
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

This is a little absurd on so many levels. Being gay is not like anything. It's like being gay. Replacing one offensive moniker for another in an already-incendiary tirade doesn't advance this conversation. There's plenty of ethnic pejoratives left though...

This whole thread from the title on down is kind of absurd. Instead of post labeled "My News" or something appropriately demure that your friends would read, it's labelled in such a way as to be a lightning rod for every slack-jawed trogloditic moron with a will to post. (myself included ) It's tantamount to standing up in the middle of a crowded Walmart and broadcasting the same thing. Sure, everyone in a WalMart shares your interest in WalMart, but we're still strangers. You may have friends in the Walmart, but they are not your friends because they are in the WalMart.

If like gay people, that's great.
If you hate gay people, give me your Sacred Band.

Regardless of whom you like and dislike, be polite.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:59 PM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookiee View Post
Why is everybody changing what he said? He said he didn't like homosexuals, and nothing else. He could have been less rude about it, but it is his opinion and it's offensive to some and not to others. The fact that his response if changed maybe be vaguely offensive is moot. He said what he said.
Because it was not offensive to EVERYBODY, so therefore it must keep getting changed in order too.
I see. Well actually I don't. Why can't we just agree that it was offensive to some but not others? Why does it have to include everybody? I thought it was offensive and rude, and so did Ollie. That's our opinion. Haven't we decided that we are all entitled to one?

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
But Grungebob, dok is not comparing the health aspects between obesity and homosexuality. He is comparing them because they are both qualities of a person that people might view as a bad thing. No one should be thought of a bad person because he or she is obese, black, or homosexual. You can't argue that we can't use that analogy because weight, race, and sexuality aren't exactly the same.
~Rednax
Well met!

Also, he is comparing the assumption that homosexuals have a choice about their sexual preference with the assumption that obese people have a choice not to be. Both assume a weakness of character. But weakness of character in the subject of abuse does not justify rudeness, let alone bigotry. Just to be clear, the assumptions about gays and obese people and character made above are for the sake of argument only.
I personally don't believe that gays have any more choice in their orientation than straight people. I didn't instantly "choose" that I like girls. I always have, and I don't see why it should be any different for gays. The only difference is that it takes a lot more guts to admit to being gay, and I respect them for it.

That said there is two sides to the issue. I agree that gays should be treated equally, but I don't think that they need any more special treatment than anyone else.

Old May 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why is everybody changing what he said? He said he didn't like homosexuals, and nothing else. He could have been less rude about it, but it is his opinion and it's offensive to some and not to others. The fact that his response if changed maybe be vaguely offensive is moot. He said what he said.
Because it was not offensive to EVERYBODY, so therefore it must keep getting changed in order too.
I see. Well actually I don't. Why can't we just agree that it was offensive to some but not others? Why does it have to include everybody? I thought it was offensive and rude, and so did Ollie. That's our opinion. Haven't we decided that we are all entitled to one?

At whose expense?

My main beef is with the constant changing of the original text into saying something that it simply does not just so we can inflame others who might of otherwise not cared.

Ollie stated he was offended and didn't seem to need to continue for 6 more pages expressing why he was.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At whose expense?

My main beef is with the constant changing of the original text into saying something that it simply does not just so we can inflame others who might of otherwise not cared.

Ollie stated he was offended and didn't seem to need to continue for 6 more pages expressing why he was.
amen.

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
That's true in a sense, GE, but you seem to be missing the point that people are trying to make.

For someone who thinks homosexuals should be as immune from public scorn for being homosexual as black people are for being black (or Jews are for being Jewish, ad nauseum), that is how it read the first time. The fact that you would have found the comment offensive if it were about race in stead of sexuality is the point.

We're not trying to convince you to be that offended - or at least, I'm not. We're trying to make you understand how those who feel that being homosexual is acceptable see this comment, and why we think it's an offensive thing to say in a public forum.

This sub-thread would have died out a while ago (certainly, without any analogies being drawn) if others hadn't come in to argue with the people who were offended.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's true in a sense, GE, but you seem to be missing the point that people are trying to make.

For someone who thinks homosexuals should be as immune from public scorn for being homosexual as black people are for being black (or Jews are for being Jewish, ad nauseum), that is how it read the first time. The fact that you would have found the comment offensive if it were about race in stead of sexuality is the point.

We're not trying to convince you to be that offended - or at least, I'm not. We're trying to make you understand how those who feel that being homosexual is acceptable see this comment, and why we think it's an offensive thing to say in a public forum.

This sub-thread would have died out a while ago (certainly, without any analogies being drawn) if others hadn't come in to argue with the people who were offended.
Why am I to be offended?

Am I wrong to think that if Sujoah was man enough to create this thread in the first place, then he can speak for himself?

Why does everybody else seem to be more offended than him?

Why does it seem necessary for you to continue to change the context of the OP? To prove a point? So that everybody thinks or sees it like you do?

It's pointless.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.

Last edited by Greyelephant; May 15th, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: several grammatical errors
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Why am I to be offended?
Quote:
Quote:
Am I wrong to think that if Sujoah was man enough to create this thread in the first place, then he can speak for himself?

Why does everybody else seem to be more offended than him?
Sujoah can speak for himself, and so can I. I'm entitled to my opinion about whether a comment about homosexuals is offensive even though I'm not homosexual. And if I'm reading Aldin's signoff correctly, Sujoah did report MoD's original post.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
AS I said in the hangout thread very clearly, I'm really happy for you. I don't see "so what?" as the acceptable answer though.

"So what?" implies that it's nothing to get all excited about positively or negatively. The way I see it, this is awesome. Congratulations would be a better response!
I think "so what?" is the best response because it shows that the person doesn't see it as anything unusual and won't think of the person any differently. I think it's best that it doesn't imply any excitement about the situation. You have guts though Sujoah. It might have been better to put this in a blog, but it took a lot of courage to say that.

~BassistofDoom, completely ignoring the argument going on

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General