Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 16th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

The only thing I like about Magic

Just joking.

Old October 16th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Video overview from Essen by way of BGG:
What royally pisses me off is that there's no mention of Heroscape in that video. It's like they're ashamed of it. Heroscape has a long history, coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters. I'd rather of seen them update one, or both, of those titles instead of forcing our game into the Magic mold. HeroQuest has spell cards. I've got an advanced version of BattleMasters that has spell cards as well. Or better yet just update Heroscape and rerelease it. It's a missed opportunity if you ask me.

I wonder, D&D Heroscape didn't really convert anyone over to anything they weren't already playing. How does WotC think this will somehow do something different? I mean really, will Magic players really want this? As a Heroscape player it doesn't seem to have any attraction to me.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

If done right it could be a fun game on it's own. Being able to summon your units right into the thick of the battle will be pretty nice rather then having to start with everyone in a start zone and slowly moving them around the board. I'm a bit surprised they are just going with one plain color for the terrain though. If I were making a Heroscape/Magic hybrid game I would be using the grass tiles as a source for green mana, swamp tiles a source for black mana, water for blue mana, etc. As your hero moves around the board, it absorbs mana based on the tile type it is currently standing on, then to play a spell you must expend the required mana.

Assuming the dice have the same ratio of skulls/swords, shields, and blanks I might pick up a set just for the alternate dice.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
What royally pisses me off is that there's no mention of Heroscape in that video. It's like they're ashamed of it.
Or that they are there to promote the Magic brand.

Quote:
Heroscape has a long history, coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters. I'd rather of seen them update one, or both, of those titles instead of forcing our game into the Magic mold. HeroQuest has spell cards. I've got an advanced version of BattleMasters that has spell cards as well. Or better yet just update Heroscape and rerelease it. It's a missed opportunity if you ask me.
Did HeroScape promote itself as coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters a year before it came out? This isn't the first time Hasbro (or other game publishers) have updated one game and created a totally different game from it.

Quote:
I wonder, D&D Heroscape didn't really convert anyone over to anything they weren't already playing. How does WotC think this will somehow do something different? I mean really, will Magic players really want this? As a Heroscape player it doesn't seem to have any attraction to me.
Then it's not for you. Not every game is meant to be for everyone. Since Craig Van Ness is the lead designer, I have faith that it will be a solid game. The Magic theme doesn't particularly bother me, as I'm not a D&D player yet I love the Lords of Waterdeep game. I plan to judge the game on its own merits, not on any Magic affiliation.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

If they were trying to court the HeroScape audience they'd just call it HeroScape. Obviously they think the basic game design is a good one and trying to use a fun game to get sales from the Magic crowd.

I think they learned their lesson with D&D HeroScape. HeroScape players didn't want the D&D stuff, D&D players didn't want to learn the HeroScape gameplay. Introducing this as a brand new product is a way to reuse a successful game that lasted years without alienating the massive Magic the Gathering audience.

Hopefully it'll be a successful one; I'm not a HUGE Magic fan, but it has some cool concepts, and I'd love to see future Planeswalkers get figures.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don't expect it to be all we love about 'scape, but with with what we've seen and with Craig Van Ness as Lead, I'm excited and optimistic!!! (three, count 'em, three exclamation marks)

Quick, random comment--no OMs visible in the prototype. It looks like the player's hidden information has moved from just the OMs to a full hand of cards. I guess that makes sense given its branding.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I think the spell cards and squad cards in your hand may be a cool mechanic.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
no OMs visible in the prototype. It looks like the player's hidden information has moved from just the OMs to a full hand of cards.
I think the demoer in the video said that you take your turn with either the main figure or one of the squads, so it seems to be a I go-you go-I go-you go for moving units.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
What royally pisses me off is that there's no mention of Heroscape in that video. It's like they're ashamed of it.
Or that they are there to promote the Magic brand.
Of course they are there to promote the Magic brand Jim. However it's kinda like buying up Axis and Allies and then rearranging the forces into elves, dwarves, and orcs and calling it Magic the Battle Game. At the end of the day it's just repurposed Axis and Allies. It just sounded disingenuous to me. Look at all of the versions of Monopoly available. But regardless of whether or not it's Cute Kittens or Star Trek it's still called Monopoly. Or Hero Quest or Hero Scape, etc….

Quote:
Heroscape has a long history, coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters. I'd rather of seen them update one, or both, of those titles instead of forcing our game into the Magic mold. HeroQuest has spell cards. I've got an advanced version of BattleMasters that has spell cards as well. Or better yet just update Heroscape and rerelease it. It's a missed opportunity if you ask me.
Quote:
Did HeroScape promote itself as coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters a year before it came out? This isn't the first time Hasbro (or other game publishers) have updated one game and created a totally different game from it.
BattleMasters was indeed advertised as being from the creators of HeroQuest. (Both games were actually tied into Games Workshops Warhammer so like it or not we owe a debt of gratitude to that game.) As far as HeroScape promoting itself as coming out of games like HeroQuest and BattleMasters probably not. Too much time had gone by between their releases. Of course everyone knew the connection. My issue is that Heroscape was a completely new brand that was using the HeroQuest gaming engine. The rules were not being molded to support another brand (as is the case with this Magic game). We joke about My Little Pony Heroscape. Now we'll have Magic the GatheringScape. But they won't call it that. Even if that is indeed what it is.

Quote:
Quote:
Then it's not for you. Not every game is meant to be for everyone. Since Craig Van Ness is the lead designer, I have faith that it will be a solid game. The Magic theme doesn't particularly bother me, as I'm not a D&D player yet I love the Lords of Waterdeep game. I plan to judge the game on its own merits, not on any Magic affiliation.
At least the article FAQ states it's co-developed by "the Hasbro Gaming team responsible for RISK LEGACY and HEROSCAPE." , not specifically their designers. As far as Craig goes that's a plus, however I've been disappointed by some of his games before. I'd like to have seen Rob Daviau and Steven Baker involved. Apparently Rob knew nothing about this:

https://twitter.com/robdaviaugamer/s...39100127072256

But you are most likely correct here in your statement, it's probably not for me. The theme of a game does matter. If you don't like the theme then no matter how well designed it is you probably won't like the game.

Wow, I'm going to bow out of this. I'm starting to sound like Skyknight here when MarvelScape first came out!
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Fun stuff! This looks very interesting.

The creature abilities bring up some interesting questions, though. They refer to squad figures that have one or more wounds on them. In Heroscape this is not possible, squad figures that take damage are removed from the board. It's not clear from the interview how this distinction would apply to the new combat system.

Old October 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Wow, I'm going to bow out of this. I'm starting to sound like Skyknight here when MarvelScape first came out!
See you around, clancampbell
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Quote:
See you around, clancampbell
Too funny!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion