Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs
Official Rules and FAQs Compilation and discussion of AotP Rules and Frequently Asked Questions.

Old December 7th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
Re: AotP Question Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroTempest View Post
Now that expansion is out, how do you guys think of managing people that want to play with same colours pw? A draft for deckbuiding?
I'm getting 2 core sets and a expansion, so 2 players of same color identity can play at same time, but the cards are limited. I'm thinking in drafting cards among players. What do you think?

And..
Does the deck must contain 12 cards capped at 200 points? Or I could build one with less cards, but more powerfull spells?

Drafting seems like a good plan, especially down the road when there's more expansions available. The rulebook specifies your spell deck MUST contain EXACTLY 12 cards, and that those 12 cards CANNOT exceed 200 points.

I've actually played a game with a friend where we each used two Planeswalkers, with one single 24 card, 400 point spell deck. We could activate either of our colors on our turn, but whichever color we chose to activate was the color spell we could play that turn. The depth of strategy in that came was mind blowing, because something as simple a a card drawn at the beginning of your turn can (and did) completely alter your plan of action. I'm so ready to be able to house-rule spell deck sizes.
I too have played this way a couple of times and I like it quite a bit more. With 1 planeswalker it can be way too easy to just store a couple of good spells, super buff your guys then run in and essentially 1 shot their PW. The Pummelroots are great at it (overrun), the Firecats are great at it (Twinflame -> Dualcasting ->Twinflame), the Reavers are pretty solid at it and the Vampires will be ever better (any black buffs).
I think the 12 card Library is way too small. There's almost no variance and you can pretty much always see/dig to the exact card you want. With a 24 card deck there's some actual choices to be made
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:00 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Kajoq I agree that 12 is a bit small in that you're almost guaranteed to see every card in your deck without effort.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old December 9th, 2015, 01:53 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah, That's part of what makes M:TG what it is. The variance of not always having exactly what you need and having to be creative with how you use what you're presented. I have a feeling as more content comes out and the points totals rise, we'll see the official deck size increase (likely to 20 at first)
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:50 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ok I have a question regarding the new expansion: Here is a link to the picture in question:http://postimg.org/image/gv4dhmivt/

It's on page 5 of the new expansion thread here on this site.

But anyway, my question is about the Eldrazi Ruiner for the 4 player scenario. It has 2 abilities that have me confused. The first is Relentless which says "Whenever Eldrazi Ruiner destroys a figure in combat, it may attack again". And then immediately after it has an ability called Lay Waste, which says "If no Planeswalkers are adjacent to Eldrazi Ruiner at the end of its attack, deal 1 damage to all figures your opponents control up to 6 clear sight spaces away".

I am wondering how this works? Does the Ruiner Lay Waste after every single attack, or just once? If a figure is destroyed by Lay Waste does it get to attack again? What counts as the end of an attack? Is it the end of all the attacks, or each individual one?
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:01 PM

HeroTempest knows what's in an order marker HeroTempest knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
Ok I have a question regarding the new expansion: Here is a link to the picture in question:http://postimg.org/image/gv4dhmivt/

But anyway, my question is about the Eldrazi Ruiner for the 4 player scenario. It has 2 abilities that have me confused. The first is Relentless which says "Whenever Eldrazi Ruiner destroys a figure in combat, it may attack again". And then immediately after it has an ability called Lay Waste, which says "If no Planeswalkers are adjacent to Eldrazi Ruiner at the end of its attack, deal 1 damage to all figures your opponents control up to 6 clear sight spaces away".

I am wondering how this works? Does the Ruiner Lay Waste after every single attack, or just once? If a figure is destroyed by Lay Waste does it get to attack again? What counts as the end of an attack? Is it the end of all the attacks, or each individual one?
I guess you keep attacking while it is destroying figures, but you can't move, just attack again. The second one, " lay waste" , it's triggered after the attack phase ends. But this is what I think, not 100% sure about it.
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Also, random question: The White sorcery Swift Justice, that gives a creature life link, it says "while attacking with this figure, for each damage it deals to the defending figure, remove a damage marker from this figure". Is damage dealt to a figure just the amount of life it has left, or is the damage a no-ceiling type of thing? I would assume the former but I wanted to check. I'm thinking the Eldrazi Ruiner might be pretty good in a white deck, despite ruining the theme, lol, and Swift Justice is a must have.
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

I guess you keep attacking while it is destroying figures, but you can't move, just attack again. The second one, " lay waste" , it's triggered after the attack phase ends. But this is what I think, not 100% sure about it.
Not sure about this either. My opinion -pretty much the same as Hero Tempest:

Relentless
"Whenever Eldrazi Ruiner destroys a figure in combat, it may attack again".
A figure killed by Relentless would allow the Runier to have an additional combat attack. This could chain as long as the Ruiner has someone to attack.

Lay Waste
"If no Planeswalkers are adjacent to Eldrazi Ruiner at the end of its attack, deal 1 damage to all figures your opponents control up to 6 clear sight spaces away".
So once the Ruiner can no longer attack (i.e has used up all attacks that it can make) then the conditions for Lay Waste would be checked.

A figure destroyed by Lay Waste would not trigger Relentless because Lay Waste is not a combat attack - no dice are rolled.
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Also, random question: The White sorcery Swift Justice, that gives a creature life link, it says "while attacking with this figure, for each damage it deals to the defending figure, remove a damage marker from this figure". Is damage dealt to a figure just the amount of life it has left, or is the damage a no-ceiling type of thing? I would assume the former but I wanted to check. I'm thinking the Eldrazi Ruiner might be pretty good in a white deck, despite ruining the theme, lol, and Swift Justice is a must have.
Another opinion here. I agree that it would apply only to the remaining life of a creature. So, doing 3 damage to an opponent figure with 1 life remaining would kill the opponent figure and remove only 1 damage marker.
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Please ask Hasbro Customer Service these questions and report back with the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Please ask Hasbro Customer Service these questions and report back with the answers.
Yeah I just did. They said they'd get back to me in a day or two.
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:42 PM

HeroTempest knows what's in an order marker HeroTempest knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Following the rules of card game, you get as much life as the damage you did. If you attack a Phoenix with one remaining life with 5 direct hits, you get 5 life back. But this is AotP, not M:TG, maybe the rules can change.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Following the rules of card game, you get as much life as the damage you did. If you attack a Phoenix with one remaining life with 5 direct hits, you get 5 life back. But this is AotP, not M:TG, maybe the rules can change.
This is my view on how it worked as well. As much damage dealt is how much you heal, regardless of target's remaining life.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Rules and FAQs