Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 26th, 2011, 05:31 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?
SmartHawk's Customs Evaluation request for Auggies Games

DISCLAIMER: This is not official. This is a fan made custom project. "HEROSCAPE and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro. © 2006 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved."

Units ready for evaluation: Kaminoan Medic, Field Surgeons, Artemis Entreri, Gidan Vade, Bruenor Battlehammer

I have been trying to design customs for a while, but it takes a long time to develop the units and make them balanced. I have tried to make all of these units as thematic as possible. Any feedback on these customs is very much appreciated.

Here are some Star Wars figures customs.

The Field Surgeons
Spoiler Alert!

The Kaminoan Medic
Spoiler Alert!

This unit is from Zelrig's bio.
Gidan Vade
Spoiler Alert!

These are from R. A. Salvatore's books based in the dnd Forgotten Realms.

Artemis Entreri, a skillful assassin
Spoiler Alert!

Cattie-Brie, adopted daughter of Bruenor
Spoiler Alert!

Bruenor Battlehammer, a dwarven king
Spoiler Alert!

Obould, a mighty leader of orcs
Spoiler Alert!

Regis, a halfling who prefers not to fight if he can help it. I don't know if he should have the mind enslave power or to give him something like chain grab. Points will probably be around 60 to 80 depending on which power I give him.
Spoiler Alert!

The Gutbuster Brigade
I'm not sure if I need to specify the attack dice number with the combination of Battle Frenzy and Charge into Battle. The figure used is Athrogate from The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, some painting required.
Spoiler Alert!

Their Hero Thibbledorf Pwent
Again, the same combination confusion. I don't know if the wording should be in the Charge into Battle power or the Battle Frenzy Power.
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SmartHawk; July 11th, 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added more customs
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?
Re: SmartHawk's Customs

Adding some more custom cards.

Some more customs from the Forgotten Realms.

The Gutbuster Brigade
I'm not sure if I need to specify the attack dice number with the combination of Battle Frenzy and Charge into Battle. The figure used is Athrogate from The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, some painting required.
Spoiler Alert!

Their Hero Thibbledorf Pwent
Again, the same combination confusion. I don't know if the wording should be in the Charge into Battle power or the Battle Frenzy Power.
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Welcome to the site SmartHawk!

Wow, I really like the Gidan! But he sounds more like a Guard than a Champion to me, but other that that

Cattie's Piercing Shot should have some range limitation, IMO, like 2-3 spaces. But I'm not sure.

King Many-Arrows Master Strategist should have a "After revealing an order marker on this card..." lingo in the first sentence. How about instead of taking a turn with other figure, they could attack instead of him?

The Dwarven Inspiration on Bruenor seems way too strong. +2 defense on already hard to hit figures seems too much. Perhaps just +1? And maybe it only works on either Common or Unique Dwarves? I'm not sure.

Other than that, on these customs!
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?

Thanks for the input. I'll try to fix these cards up as soon as I can. Gidan being a guard does make more sense. I also like your idea of giving a range to Cattie-Brie's Piercing Shot, I assume this is after the initial target figure.

On Obould, I think that I want him to be able to move before taking a turn with another figure, as he lacks bonding.

I also agree that adding 2 defense might be too much for the dwarves. I may keep it at 2 if it is only common figures though. I see some more playtesting in my future.

Thanks for the comments, I will update as soon as I can.
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?

Here are some Star Wars figures customs.

The Field Surgeons
Spoiler Alert!

The Kaminoan Medic
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:01 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?
Re: SmartHawk's Customs Evaluation request for Auggies Games

Units ready for evaluation: Field Surgeons, Kaminoan Medic, Artemis Entreri, Gidan Vade, Bruenor Battlehammer

The Field Surgeons
Spoiler Alert!

The Kaminoan Medic
Spoiler Alert!

Artemis Entreri, a skillful assassin
Spoiler Alert!

Gidan Vade
Spoiler Alert!

Bruenor Battlehammer
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SmartHawk; July 11th, 2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: updated entreri and gidan vade and Kaminoan Medic
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Hi and welcome to the customs community! Some impressive work from a newcomer! I have some comments on the units up for evaluation.

The Field Surgeons

Straightforward concept and not obviously broken. I like the use of these figures as a squad and them being a single-power unit. However I do have the vague feeling that they are broken in certain builds, with Raelin and Q9 perhaps, or maybe Sentinels. I do not know for sure without playtesting though. This sort of unit is incredibly difficult (perhaps impossible) to balance, as the damage prevention falls precariously between boosting already very powerful figures and not being consistent enough. I recommend limiting their power to small/medium heroes, similar to Ana Karithon, who has a different passive "healing" ability.

Surgery is also a little strange with Stealth Armor, Sacred Band Defy Death, and other similar powers that do the same thing -- having two d20 powers that could save a unit is strange, but not a problem I suppose. I think that technically there would be a roll-off to see with death-defying power triggers first.

As a general rule, aura abilities only affect figures you control, not friendlies. I can imagine some craziness with multiple teammates all protecting each other with Field Surgeons.

Which leads to another question, can a single squad of Field Surgeons do Surgery on each other? Can a single Field Surgeon perform Surgery on himself? A strict reading of the card would say yes to both.

I also recommend one wording change for clarity: "When a friendly figure within 6 clear sight spaces of at least one Field Surgeon you control receives one or more wounds,".

The Kaminoan Medic

The problem I have with Advanced Treatment is that the connection between "Army Card" and "that figure" is not clear. Does the hero that is the target of the Surgery need to be within 6 clear sight spaces of the Medic or does the Field Surgeon "performing" the Surgery? The first would be easier to word. Either way, the card should be clarified.

Artemis Entreri

Some neat ideas here for an assassin, but some problematic ones too.

Replace Ambush 2 with First Assault 2 (from Valguard). Same mechanic, official wording.

Gauntlet is a neat idea but does not work. In this case, it does not work with combined attacks like Arrow Volley, Encircle, or Onslaught -- in those cases it is not possible to point to which figure did the attacking. Special Attacks, by definition, break game rules. Messing with special attacks can cause all sorts of rule problems; I highly recommend just removing the power altogether.

Gidan Vade

Interesting approach to a guard unit -- tying him directly to Zelrig. It severely limits his build options, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Strengthened Resolve is a neat power with a great name.

I do not understand the last line of Loyalty to the Emperor: "If Gidan Vade is adjacent to Zelrig, than after you take a turn with Zelrig, you may move Gidan Vade adjacent to Zelrig." Do you mean "If Gidan Vade is adjacent to Zelrig before taking a turn with Zelrig, ..."? If so, the end should be worded to be "you may place Gidan Vade on any empty space adjacent to Zelrig".

Bruenor Battlehammer

Holy wow. Reading the first power I thought he was crazy overpowered, but then I saw the price tag. Interesting fellow. Definitely a king, and definitely would need playtesting to get right.

My one real complaint is that he is basically Spartacus. By that I mean he does not add anything new per se, just makes the Axegrinders act like Gladiators.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't realize all the vagueness and broken powers I had.

Field Surgeons
I will definitely change the size to small and medium figures and to units that you control (not you personally, but the person who has the Field Surgeons in their army). I had thought about the Field Surgeons doing it on each other, and I can't decide which way to have the power work, with the field surgeons being able to use surgery on each other, or to make them unable to use surgery on each other. I can see both happening, since realistically, the surgeons would be able to do surgery on each other, but in Heroscape it has potential for being overpowered.

Kaminoan Medic
I will try to clarify the vagueness.

Artemis Entreri
I will change the name of Ambush 2 to First Assault 2. I didn't realize the power I wanted was on Valguard. Thanks.
I really want to keep Gauntlet, as it fits thematically with Entreri, but I see your point. Do you think I could change the wording to work like the Frost Giant's Dying Swipe and have you choose which figures receive which wounds?

Gidan Vade
Thanks for the help on this guy, that is exactly what I meant, it just didn't come out right.

Bruenor Battlehammer
I intended this guy to aid all the dwarves, but Megasilver reminded me how overpowered that would be. so I limited it to squads and dropped the stat boost to only 1 attack and 1 defense. I did base him off of Spartacus, but every Dwarf has their own defensive ability- Migol and One Shield Defense, Darrak and Hide in Darkness, Mogrimm and Tough. Thus I added Defy Death 12 from the Greeks. He is powerful, but he is pricey for a 400-500 point army.

Anyways, thank you for looking at my customs and giving me helpful advice.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartHawk View Post
Artemis Entreri
I will change the name of Ambush 2 to First Assault 2. I didn't realize the power I wanted was on Valguard. Thanks.
I really want to keep Gauntlet, as it fits thematically with Entreri, but I see your point. Do you think I could change the wording to work like the Frost Giant's Dying Swipe and have you choose which figures receive which wounds?
It would be fine to give him Dying Swipe instead, but this guy also has too much going on. Four powers on a unit are not unheard of, but as a general rule it's best to avoid using that many. It's ok if all the powers point to a specific design purpose or flavor, but in Artemis's case the powers are pretty much just an assortment of useful abilities. He would be perfectly fine with any three of his powers (though his points may need a bit of adjusting), and since Gauntlet is the broken one I suggested removing it.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:52 PM

SmartHawk Woo who?

I'll concede to removing Gauntlet, especially after checking out your customs. Thank you for the help and advice.
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:07 AM

SmartHawk Woo who?

Customs fixed up so far:

Artemis Entreri
Spoiler Alert!

Gidan Vade
Spoiler Alert!

Kaminoan Medic
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SmartHawk; July 11th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards