Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Settlers of Catan

A friend of mine recently got this game and we've been playing it nonstop ever since. Even to the detriment of *gasp* Heroscape!

We started with the basic game, then got Seafarers and then Knights. At a gaming store this weekend I found a little 3-hex "river" tile for $3. My question is this:

Are there any other Catan expansions for the original game?

I've seen all the little "historical" and space and card versions of the game, but is there anything else for original that's worth a hoot?
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
There are the event cards which take the place of rolling the dice. They are like 4 or 5 bucks online.

I just got these and haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but they look pretty cool.

smallboxgames.com
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The "space one" Starfarers of Catan is not an expansion but a completely different game. It is a great game though.

Here is a everything Catan.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/metasea...ch=catan&B1=Go

The 2 main expansions are:

Seafarers of Catan. I have only played that once, but didn't really like it.

Cities and Knights. I have played this a few times and it really adds a lot more to the game, the only draw back is that it really lengthens the gameplay time.

There are a lot of smaller expansions. Like Fishermen of Catan, it was in the most recent issue of Games Quarterly, I have it but haven't played it yet. The one you mentioned is The Great River of Catan. There was a small one released in Germany recently called Die große Karawane, I was hoping to get it in Games Quarterly but since they have (supposedly) stopped printing I don't think I will be able to get my hands on it.

I don't like event deck.

Got Sheep for Grains?
Got Wood for Sheep?
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Morbidsoul40 has disabled reputation
My friend owns this with most of the expansions (Seafarers, Knights & Cities, Great River, and the event cards) and we love to play it. Seafarers is probably my favorite expansion for it as its exciting to not know what the whole map looks like sometimes. Overall one of my top 10 board games though.
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Event Cards...interesting... anyone else used these?
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Settler's is great for the first few dozen games. Then it started to drive me nuts. Like Heroscape, a lot can depend on lucky dice rolls; unlike Heroscape, Settlers hasn't got the variety.

There are some nice games in the series, though. I'm rather partial to Settlers of the Stone Age, and the new Roman-themed one has an interesting twist.

I've also got not one but two copies of Das Wasser des Liebens, a pretty rare Settlers game, both signed by the designer. I never found a copy of the ultra-rare Communications of Catan, and requests to Alcatel for a copy fell on deaf ears (there were only a couple of hundred printed, and a fair few were trashed).

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old May 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
If it weren't for my roommate buying Settlers, I probably wouldn't have bought Heroscape. I used to hate board games because I associated all board games (save Scrabble) with Monopoly and Life, both of which I hate immensely. But Settlers, showed me that a board game could incorporate luck, strategy, and a pretty board to make for an awesome game. I was looking for another board game to try out at the store and randomly picked up HS. Settlers has tended to gather dust ever since, but we pull it out every now and then.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
My wife's friend just sent her Settlers of Catan for her birthday. On BGG it lists it as a 3 or 4 player game. Does it work well with only two players?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler
My wife's friend just sent her Settlers of Catan for her birthday. On BGG it lists it as a 3 or 4 player game. Does it work well with only two players?
There are people that will say its good with only 2, but I don't think it is. You lose one of the best aspects of the game, the trading. I think its a horrible game with 2.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler
Kind of, but the whole trading thing loses something. Because if you trade with the only other player, that's really just helping them to get more points. It can still be played, but it's not the same.

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Bardolph has disabled reputation
Quote:
Settler's is great for the first few dozen games. Then it started to drive me nuts
Quite. I enjoyed when I was introduced to it, found a place to play on line and burned out on it within a month. Just not enough meat there.

I did like and will eventually pick up a copy of Carcassone though. A little more life in that one. There is a place to play it online against human or AI opponents as well. I think I got there via BoardGameGeek's Carcassone page.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:24 AM

'Scaper Zeta Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit

Got Wood for Sheep?
Thats always funny, no matter what.

Now to answer the original question there are the 5-6 player expansions for the base game and the Seafarers and Knights as well, but those aren't really actual expansions I suppose.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games