Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
1) Q9
2) Krav Maga (they are #1 if you have Raelin)
3) Airborne Elite
4) Syvarris
5) 4th Mass
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Best ranged squads and figures,
1) Q9, like everyone else I have seen this guy win too many tournaments.
2) Nilfiem, runner up to Q9, mobility, staying power and offense
3) AE, drop into height and shoot em up.
4) 4th mass are good in large quantities, they are hard to beat if used right
5) Microcorp agents, I used these guys last tournament, with two chances to live and extra defense in water, these guys have alot of staying power and offense with height.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
1) Q9. What can I say? He's the man.....
2) Krav Maga Agents - Excellent move and range for a ranged squad, and I heard they have some ability thats pretty good...
3) Airborne Elite - The only ranged squad with 4 figures and a base attack of 3, which is usually 4 because they drop onto high ground. they can also catch up with your army no matter where they are.
4) 4th Mass Line - very versatile, and common so they can be drafted in hordes. A phenomenal core for an army.
5) Marro Warriors - they drop to 5th because they're the only unit on this list that can't really dominate a single battle, but there's no better draft at 50 points.

Syvarris gets an honorable mention here.... 9 range is really that good, especially with a rat shield. Also, any Vydar ranged unit with Laglor is very good.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:29 AM

ASmiles Woo who?
I'm a little suprised by the number of lists Nilfhelm is appearing on. All it takes is one figure to engage Nilf and his range effectively becomes zero.

If the Special Attack doesn't kill this figure, then you can't use the special on anyone else (unless they are also engaged). Granted Nilf has the firepower to just attack this figure with a normal attack, but then he's not really using his range, is he?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Record in Beantown Beatdown Tournaments 15-1-1
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmiles
I'm a little suprised by the number of lists Nilfhelm is appearing on. All it takes is one figure to engage Nilf and his range effectively becomes zero.

If the Special Attack doesn't kill this figure, then you can't use the special on anyone else (unless they are also engaged). Granted Nilf has the firepower to just attack this figure with a normal attack, but then he's not really using his range, is he?
The same is true for all ranged figures. Except I think Braxas and Mimring. And Nilfheim can disengage.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM

ASmiles Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Quote:

The same is true for all ranged figures. Except I think Braxas and Mimring.
Here's the difference. When Kaemon Awa or Syvarris are engaged, they still get to attack twice. When Q9 is engaged, he can still break up his attack into 3 dice x3. When a ranged squad has a figure engaed the other squad members can still use their ranged attacks on other figures.

So yes, Nilf becomes like other heros with a single attack. But Nilf's value as an "elite" ranged figure becomes drastically reduced once he is engaged. You'll note that none of these single attack figures made my list. It's all multi-attack heros and squads.

He's an incredible power house, and has a ton of verstaility. If you were going for "Best figure that also happened to have a ranged attack" sure, but I wouldn't put him in a group of "Best ranged figure". Obviously others disagree, or were not aware of this limitation to the special attack.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Record in Beantown Beatdown Tournaments 15-1-1
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
1. KMA - 6 move, 7 range, stealth dodge, need I say anything else.
2. AE - 4 attacks of 4 with 8 range.
3. DED - 10 range and chance to kill in 1 roll of the dice. Fear the cowboy
4. Q9 - nice range with chance of multiple attacks.
5. Syvarris - 2 attacks at 9 range, can be scary to slow mving units.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
1. Q9. On paper, the Major should terrorize Wave 7 armies just as much as older ones.
2. 4th Mass Line. And I don't even own Marcus.
3. Kaemon Awa. Syvarris is probably just as efficient at 100 as Kaemon is at 120, but I don't like having to protect Syvarris. Kaemon can get in there and brawl for a few turns.
4. Silver Surfer. Choice between fly-shoot-fly or cosmic-powered special attack 6, range 6 with order marker removal!
5. Airborne Elite. My favorite ranged unique squad. I prefer the "hurt you" of the Airborne over the "help me" of the Krav.

Honorable Mention: Deadeye Dan. Vampires and superheroes offer new, high-value targets to plink with his Ullar rifle. One wound on Thanos? He's killed his points!

Honorable Mention: Krav Maga Agents. Still a great pick, but with Cyprien, the rechets, cavalry, Surfer, and Hulk/Abomination all pushing the speed envelope, the options for bypassing Stealth Dodge from outside the Krav's threat range are multiplying.

Honorable Mention: Me-Burq-Sa. I wish I'd gotten him a lot sooner.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the difference. When Kaemon Awa or Syvarris are engaged, they still get to attack twice. When Q9 is engaged, he can still break up his attack into 3 dice x3. When a ranged squad has a figure engaed the other squad members can still use their ranged attacks on other figures.

So yes, Nilf becomes like other heros with a single attack. But Nilf's value as an "elite" ranged figure becomes drastically reduced once he is engaged. You'll note that none of these single attack figures made my list. It's all multi-attack heros and squads.

He's an incredible power house, and has a ton of verstaility. If you were going for "Best figure that also happened to have a ranged attack" sure, but I wouldn't put him in a group of "Best ranged figure". Obviously others disagree, or were not aware of this limitation to the special attack.
Wytefang, if this side conversation is a problem please let us know and we'll stop.

ASmiles, three points about Nilfheim here:

1) When a ranged figure is engaged they cease to be ranged - special abilities excepted. The fact that Kaemon Awa still gets a double attack when he's engaged says nothing about his effectiveness as a ranged unit.

2) Nilfheim can and often should disengage from a single opponent, take a 50/50 shot at a wound and fly away to a more advantageous spot for further ranged carnage.

3) Mobility is king for Nilf - no other (non-Marvel) ranged unit has the flexibility Nilfheim has in gaining height (for defensive purposes), choosing targets and shifting the focus of attack.

~Aldin, who notes for whatever it may be worth that once your opponent puts multiple units adjacent Nilfy goes back to being a multi-attacker

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
No worries, Aldin. This sidetrack is relevant to the greater focus of this thread.

Keep your lists coming, guys. Thank you!!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes but Nilfheim's can use his regular attack when engaged and one attack of 6 is just as good as 3 attacks of 3 or 2 attacks of 4 on single figure. Of course it depends on the defense of the defender. Yes Nilfheim isn't as flexible to use in some areas but I wouldn't call him inflexible.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
Now this last post strays more into a sidetrack then I'd prefer as it starts discussing Nilf's usefulness, which I don't care about.

More lists please! Back on topic! ::: cracks whip! :::

:P

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion