Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Future D&D Squad Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoFury View Post
A lot of the sculpts are prety good ad wouldwork well togeter, but many of the best sculpts are expensive and/or rare. The chances that WotC would cheapen the units by making them available in HeroScape aren't the best. Another one of the problems with units is that they may be the same type of thing, like the Mummies, but the sculpts look totally different, and many DnD minis sculpts just look bad, especially he cheap ones. Finding a squad that is cheap, that all look good, and all look alike is going to be tough. I think a squad composed of the three figures in the Other Skeletons section would be th epitome of what all of us fear is going to come down the pipe. That would be awful.
I believe some of your fears are unfounded.

- Cheapness: WotC has been fairly up front that they don't care about the secondary market. They have released "retired" Magic cards in the pass and have never promised not to release any D&D minis. They released Hawthorne for gosh sakes and he was going for almost a C-note. Also the figures will be rebased (the bases are very different) so there would be no confusion with "collectables". Finally people buying caseloads to support the secondary market is nothing compared to selling hundreads of boasters to heroscape fans. Having Collectors buy alot your stuff is good, having Everyone buy some of your stuff is best.

-Figures that look alike. Try singing the song from seasemy street about "One of this things is not like the others" and looking at some squads. Consider the Moheicans, Krav Maga, gladiators, AE, all the Samurai and the monks and dwarves to a lesser extent. Most notably the MacDirks and Vikings are so differnet they could be each be reused as heros. The paint can be changed on the figures to make them look simlar as well to hold the theme. Really I don't think this will be an issue.

-Finally with the hero centric future of heroscape, there will likely be only 4 squads per wave, not a hard feat to accomplish for a few waves at least. I doubt we will see any of the more questionable figures, though I belieaved the Drow fell into that catagory already.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Not a bad list.

There are a few mistakes here and there that will throw a wrench in some of those. Like someone already said, one of those 'spiders' isn't a spider at all--though there are other spider figures.

The issue with the Kruthiks is that all of those figures are of a different size. There's the tiny sized hatchling, the medium sized young and adult, and the large sized Hive Lord. If they had more medium sized ones, they could form a squad and common/uncommon hero.

In the Wraiths, the second and third are larger than the first and the second is an earthly avatar of one of the DND verse Gods, ie not squad material.

I maintain that if any celestials come over they should be called Angels or Archons, and never be called Kyrie.

Dragonborn are more likely as a hero. A squad would be cool, but I don't think a squad would be made of entirely rare figures, + they're not monsters anymore, but a staple player race, meaning one of the Dungeon Crawlers.

As for Tieflings, I see a hero for them as well; they're a staple player race in 4E now, so the main drive with them is designing PC figures, rather than dungeon encounter figures.

As someone else already said, the two "bugs" on the right are actually Ice Devils.

Goblins, Gnolls, Warforged, and squads made from random knights/archers are our most likely additions, along with a smathering of undead.

I'm not sure how likely the skeletons are, because I'm currently not sure how much of the library we have access to. If they only have access to the later half, we'd have to mix and match the squad, like have one be a Skeletal human and another be a skeletal tiefling etc.

Quote:
I doubt we will see any of the more questionable figures, though I belieaved the Drow fell into that catagory already
Actually the Drow were the easiest to make a squad of. They'e got common, uncommon, and rare figures up the yin yang, and are one of the only races in the entire DDM skirmish game that are fairly easy to make a competitive army out of just them. Not to mention them being iconic and popular in general.
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby!

Mentioned this in a couple of other threads, but one thing to keep in mind is that the DND Minis line is still being made, and as such, if they feel they are 1 figure away from being able to make a cohesive squad of something, there is nothing stopping them from making a figure that can fit that mold in an upcoming release. They would still be getting the benefit of a double-use figure and still have the same money savings, so it would be a win-win for everyone.

My Customs
Winter Olympics = $6,000,000,000
Gold Medal Hockey Tickets = $2,000
Seeing an American Politician forced to wear a Canadian Jersey = Priceless
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrian View Post
Mentioned this in a couple of other threads, but one thing to keep in mind is that the DND Minis line is still being made, and as such, if they feel they are 1 figure away from being able to make a cohesive squad of something, there is nothing stopping them from making a figure that can fit that mold in an upcoming release. They would still be getting the benefit of a double-use figure and still have the same money savings, so it would be a win-win for everyone.
With that in mind here is a link to a site that posts previews (confirmed and rumored) of up coming D&D sets. Not much is rumored for the next D&D set yet, but I believe WotC is annoucing another format change in the minis soon (probably at the D&D Experience convention at the end of the month).

http://www.ddmspoilers.com/mm_03.php
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM

joeiscool12 Woo who?

Dragonborn are huge, I'm pretty sure. I have one that is, at least.

-j12
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

According to the PHB (I don't own any minis) they can get close to seven feet tall. If that's what you mean by big, then yes, they are.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

If I might point something out with the secondary market issue, consider all of the people who want the rare figures but don't want to take out a second mortgage for one (and don't care what the base looks like - there are enough people here that made their own Hawthornes that I'll bet there's an ample group of people like this). If a D&D Scape pack has that rare figure in it, how many more people would buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:28 PM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

no yuan-ti or sahuagin. they are basically vipers
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport351 View Post
According to the PHB (I don't own any minis) they can get close to seven feet tall. If that's what you mean by big, then yes, they are.
the biggest one that i know of is the tarrasque
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
http://www.wyoming.gov/

Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbirk19 View Post
Sahuagin are nothing like vipers, they are basically demons from the sea. The Yuan-Ti are a perfect way for the Viper faction to start uo again. I have used Yuan-Ti figures myself for all my Viper customs.
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:16 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Blood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbirk19 View Post
Sahuagin are nothing like vipers, they are basically demons from the sea. The Yuan-Ti are a perfect way for the Viper faction to start uo again. I have used Yuan-Ti figures myself for all my Viper customs.
I agree. I don't see any reason why this race couldn't co-exist with Vipers...

Old January 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Not much is rumored for the next D&D set yet, but
Any idea what kind of format change? I'm curious if it's the sort of thing that would make them more compatible with Heroscape or not.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs