Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thumbs up Heroscape Sportsmanship

Just wanted to shoot out a huge KUDOS to the general Scapin' community for the extraordinarily outstanding sportsmanship this community appears to generate.

When I stopped at our FLGS, The Source in St. Paul, MN, today to pick up my Wave 9 goodness, I brought my armload of awesomeness to the checkout counter and proceeded to have a pleasant chat with the store owner and two of the employees there about this great game. What really grabbed me in this conversation is the honest admiration these guys had for the Heroscaping Community. they had only started carrying 'Scape in the last year, and have been astounded with it's great sales. But what really caught my attention was what they then mentioned...

We recently had a Heroscape Tournament in the Twin Cities at The Source (which I, unfortunately, couldn't attend due to a last minute bout of the Flu) and the Owner related to me how incredibly impressed he was with the camaraderie and unequalled sportsmanship he witnessed that day. He said he was just amazed to see everyone having a blast, laughing, joking around, REGARDLESS IF THEY WERE WINNING OR LOSING!! (that last aspect really seemed to impress him)... it was a large crowd, and everyone there was apparently a great "ambassador" to the FLGS world.

This has also been my own experience, both in casual games with new faces, and in a previous Tourney setting. I don't know what it is about this game that promotes and encourages such fun and sportsmanship almost by default, but Kudos to this community and Kudos to the designers for creating a sustaining such a game that brings such joy to the players, regardless of winning or losing.

Hats off to the participants at 3T, the Twin Cities Team Tournament, and hats off to Scapin' Sportsman everywhere!

Now back to ogling my new plastic friends.

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Heroscape Sportsmanship

I think the fact that this game is mare accessable to all ages and abilities makes the competition less intense. Or at least more of a spartsmanly mood.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12 View Post
I think the fact that this game is mare accessable to all ages and abilities makes the competition less intense. Or at least more of a spartsmanly mood.
It's more of a game than a hobby like WH40K or MtG. Not that I have anything against those guys, but things like that are a full-time job if you want to play/win.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12 View Post
It's more of a game than a hobby like WH40K or MtG. Not that I have anything against those guys, but things like that are a full-time job if you want to play/win.
Especially when money is involved. I think the Pro Tour Magic tournaments (the pro level events, for those who've never played/heard of it) has something like $100,000 in prizes...and usually it's all in cash.

I'll be honest, I think the general sportsmanship of the community is due to a couple of reasons, and I've seen in it in New England too. The players in my area are a great bunch of people, and our tournaments are the same as Snotwalker described. There's a ton of laughing, joking, and generally a good time is had by all (plus we get some of the design and rules team at tournaments competing occasionally :P).

Anyways, back to my point, I think the two main reasons there is better sportsmanship is because 1) money is not involved. Yes, we buy packs and Master sets, etc, but tournaments never have a huge prize purse compared to Magic, Warhammer, etc. The tournaments in my area, the admission is something for the prize pool, and everyone grabs something from the prize pool at the end. How can you get uptight/unsportsmanlike about that?

And 2) from the tournaments I've been to 9 times out of 10 there's at least 2-3 kids who are competing with their parent. I think this is big, because you don't see that with ANY other game. Heck, I'm 25 and I would still love to see my dad learn how to play this game. But, that's another story entirely, lol.

Finally 3) from what I've seen at tournaments, and from these forums, I think generally speaking we all keep this game in perspective. I know when I played Magic and you're making small talk with your opponent or someone else at the tournament, the conversation always go to your deck, or card power, etc. Here, it's the opposite. I've been to tournaments and have talked to people about things other than gaming in general. We all have lives outside of this game (school, work, other hobbies, etc) and I think we all keep that in the back of our heads whenever we are playing. In other words, I think we all know that this is just a game, and because of it none of us really get too obsessed with it.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I'd say it is the nature of the game. We all love to win, but when a game is down to one Macdirk and one Samurai... well that is the stuff of legends.

Personally I love the way the battle unfolds, a single grut taking out Q9, Isumi Dogding Vampires until they are all slain, It is priceless. I think we have such great sportmanship since this game really lends itself to players being as much spectators as they are generals, and the satisfaction of the long shot attack, whether it succeeds or fails.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I'd say it is the nature of the game.
No, anyone who is very competitive gets really angry at the dice. Dice is the nature of the game and everything you just described. The only way your comment could be true is if most people playing didn't care if they won or lost, because then the dice (and subsequently, their luck), would not matter.

Is it that people don't care too much whether they win or lose? I honestly have no idea because ive never been to a tournament (Connecticut is boring )
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:14 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

When I play a game like this, I view it as a story playing out, and I'm amused by it. I don't really care about winning or losing.

At the tournament I went to, I happened to be voted 'best sportsmanship' by everybody, that was awesome. But in my opinion everyone there had great sportsmanship. People won (and lost) with class.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM

halobosspotter costs too much!

There's no money involved... Basically, a Heroscape Tournament is like the Special Olympics-- Win or lose, everybody is getting a prize.

-BossP
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I blame spider_poison. He has to go and be a nice guy when he's ruining all of your ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Anyone who plays "The Game of All Time" has to have a sense of humor! When I introduced Wargaming in a long article on a toy collecting site, I mentioned Heroscape as one of three simple games or game groups to get started quick (as opposed to having to create your own customized toy soldier armies).

I talked about how great HS is, and then said "Join our cult. You have no choice." Anyone who plays the game seems to love it, including those who say "I'd never try anything like that," and then do--and love it.

And now its time for my own deep throated heroic voice over: "SENTINELS OF JANDAR!"
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Anyone who plays "The Game of All Time" has to have a sense of humor! When I introduced Wargaming in a long article on a toy collecting site, I mentioned Heroscape as one of three simple games or game groups to get started quick (as opposed to having to create your own customized toy soldier armies).

I talked about how great HS is, and then said "Join our cult. You have no choice." Anyone who plays the game seems to love it, including those who say "I'd never try anything like that," and then do--and love it.

And now its time for my own deep throated heroic voice over: "SENTINELS OF JANDAR!"
You have a good point. You really can't take a game too seriously when you're seeing who would win in a fight, Shaolin Monks with a team of robots as backup or an orc riding a giant dinosaur followed by zombies.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

SW8000, thanks for sharing that feedback! The day of the 3T the Source was expecting maybe 4 to 6 players even though we had told them there would be lots more. I think they were rather worried when they came to open the doors and there were about 2 dozen folks standing around waiting to get in, all armed with Heroscape stuff. They were also surprised to learn that there were folks from hundreds of miles away that had come just to play.

Heroscapers are a pretty awesome bunch!

Next year we'll need their entire game room.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion