Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoFury View Post
I guess it's just one of those common sense thigs--don't jut bring 5 squads of Hounds and Me-Burq-Sa.
Yeah, especially since that takes 32 hexes.

I've often thought Houndsx3/Q9 is a pretty solid 450 point base, but then you've got Q9.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Not that it isn't a concern, in the few games I've played so far on Paved Paradise its really hard to even get up on the castle wall. With flying negated, the arduous climb up the hill (even with road) and then the ineviatable melee clash, there is a lot working against getting up on the wall. Maybe look at it as reward.

Great point though dok.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; October 13th, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
I guess it's just one of those common sense thigs--don't jut bring 5 squads of Hounds and Me-Burq-Sa.
Yeah, especially since that takes 32 hexes.

I've often thought Houndsx3/Q9 is a pretty solid 450 point base, but then you've got Q9.
That's what I get for randomly throwing out bogus army sugegstion, I suppose. However, it further proves the point that you shouldn't bring them!

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I actually did seriously suggest that Deathstalkersx4 would be a good army to bring for a tournament one time. It was a 400 point event where no A/A+ figures were allowed. I figured Braxas and Cyprien would both be really common (this is before Braxas was promoted to A), and the Deathstalkers are immune to both of their specials. (Nobody took my advice, although Braxas and Cyprien did end up being in several armies.)

There weren't any maps like this one in the pool there, so it seemed safer. I would definitely want some single spacers and/or some range on that map.

Anyway, you could argue I spend too much time thinking about double spacer-access issues, just as I spend too much time thinking about Zelrig bombs.

(I also regularly evaluate maps for Trample stomp and zombie onslaught effectiveness, but I usually keep that to myself, lest I end up complaining about every single map. It's not reasonable to expect every map to allow easy use of those powers.)
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
(I also regularly evaluate maps for Trample stomp and zombie onslaught effectiveness, but I usually keep that to myself, lest I end up complaining about every single map. It's not reasonable to expect every map to allow easy use of those powers.)
Some maps have mega issues when it comes to powers like that. Cell Divide, Trample Stomp, and basically any unit with powers that rely on expanses of flat ground get shafted big time on some maps.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Some maps have mega issues when it comes to powers like that. Cell Divide, Trample Stomp, and basically any unit with powers that rely on expanses of flat ground get shafted big time on some maps.
That's why I try to alleviate those conerns on my maps as muchs I can. You don't see a huge issue with it on Vadmont's Tomb, except for the actual little tomb area. But then again, if you want the height thre, you sacrifice same-level adantages you may have, and it makes you weigh your options. Tht's the stuff going through my mind while I'm building and teaking my maps. I put a lot of time into Vadmont's Tomb, hopefully this thread picks up a bit.

But yes, same-level powers are often a trade-off for height. In my book, that seems fair.

Old October 13th, 2009, 04:56 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
I put a lot of time into Vadmont's Tomb, hopefully this thread picks up a bit.
Don't worry, the judges will get around to voting on your map. This is a very busy time of year (with NHSD less than a week away) for the judges. Many of us are heavily involved with organizing our local events.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old October 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
That's why I try to alleviate those conerns on my maps as muchs I can. You don't see a huge issue with it on Vadmont's Tomb, except for the actual little tomb area. But then again, if you want the height thre, you sacrifice same-level adantages you may have, and it makes you weigh your options.
The issue is not the trade-off made by a figure taking the height, it's the ability to deny special powers to figures not on height by by using the irregularities in the terrain.

Vadmont's Tomb is actually pretty zombie-friendly - all the high spots can be attacked with onslaught, although you have to drop into the water to onslaught the high sand pinnacles on each side. None of the high points are vulnerable to Trample Stomp, though. As I said, this is a very common situation and I don't count it against a map, because that's a really unrealistic standard.

Quote:
Tht's the stuff going through my mind while I'm building and teaking my maps. I put a lot of time into Vadmont's Tomb, hopefully this thread picks up a bit.
As Dignan said, I'm pretty sure it will get a thorough review in the fullness of time. I like the look of that map a lot. I have some concerns about the effectiveness of the LoS blockers, but I would really need to actually play it to know one way or the other. The judges will take their turn to see if the gameplay is balanced and enjoyable for a wide range of armies.

The biggest strikes against that map's chances may be its large footprint, and the fact that three BoV maps already use the exact same terrain set. Those things don't make it a bad map by any stretch, though, just one that may have a slightly harder time getting inducted into the BoV.
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM

I nominate Swamp Gas by mad_wookiee:

It's been pointed out to me that this was a bit brief for a nomination post, so let me list some things I like about this map:
  1. It uses a terrain combo (SotM+TJ+VW) that very few maps use and that isn't represented in the current BoV, and it uses the components of all three terrain sets very well.
  2. Glyphs on lava fields! I first saw this on longheroscaper's "Hot Meal", and I immediately loved the idea. It's a great way to encourage dynamic play.
  3. The compact layout and clean footprint fit the current zeitgeist well.
  4. Turtling on this map is almost impossible, because the heights are hot and the starzones are fairly exposed.
  5. The molten lava, which is really hard to use well IMO, plays a very big role here.
  6. I've looked at it a bunch of times, and I can't figure out whether melee or range has the edge. It really depends on a lot of factors, and I think it comes down to tactical skill. That's a good thing.

Last edited by dok; October 15th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old October 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Don't worry, the judges will get around to voting on your map. This is a very busy time of year (with NHSD less than a week away) for the judges. Many of us are heavily involved with organizing our local events.
Oh I understand, I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining--far from it! I'm just anxious/excited.

Quote:
The biggest strikes against that map's chances may be its large footprint, and the fact that three BoV maps already use the exact same terrain set. Those things don't make it a bad map by any stretch, though, just one that may have a slightly harder time getting inducted into the BoV.
Yeah, that makes sense. In terms of footprint, It actually fit very well onto our coffee table, so it didn't cause any problems for me--but everyone isn't me. The lack of LoS blockers was kind of intentional--since things are open a lot, it's more difficult to get a really good position on someone. However, in all my playtestings where I used lots of range (Stingers and Arrow Grut/Swog combos), armies never got dominated by ranged roops. In fact, I occasionally found my ranged at a disadvantage, when melee troops got to the road before I had finished positioning my units.

However it works out, it was my first attempt at a serious BoV-regulations map. The fact that it's gotten good remarks so far is enough for me--I've still got a few I would also like to submit, I just need to playtest them some more to see if I need to tweak them at all. Besides, one submitted at a time is enough.

Old October 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would like to nominate Feylund Fountain

I've played on the map so many times, it's a natural choice( IMO) for a tournament. It's a very easy build... to the point where I have actually memorized how to build it, and is a great small little map.

I've wanted to nominate it for a while, but I wanted to make sure my choice was a wise one before nominating it.

While their are many 1 Rttff 1 RotV maps, it's unique in it's design, and offers some great games!

I've actually been using this to test armies for a long time now( mostly against Q9/Laglor teams!

~Shades

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Yes to review Swamp Gas by mad_wookie. I'm a sucker for lava maps. The choke points do concern me a little though from initial observation.

Yes to review Feylund Fountain. It's a small map, melee should have a chance.

I'm still up in the air about Inner Courtyard. I'll have to build it and take a closer look at it after NHSD. I've been busy trying to play on all the maps Codeman has posted for the TTO V.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios