Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 28th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say thanks for all the yeses, Revdyer! And nice review.
While I appreciate the thanks for the "yeses" (maybe I am an "easy touch"), I really do think that equal, if not higher, thanks should be given for my and other judges' "noes." The BoV does no good if it is merely a rubber-stamp for the nominations we're given. Still, I do think that the quality of the nominations has been excellent and we've not even had to look at a lot of maps that would never make it at this level. So, maybe, the real thanks should be to the map-makers of quality and those who have nominated their maps.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say thanks for all the yeses, Revdyer! And nice review.
While I appreciate the thanks for the "yeses" (maybe I am an "easy touch"), I really do think that equal, if not higher, thanks should be given for my and other judges' "noes." The BoV does no good if it is merely a rubber-stamp for the nominations we're given. Still, I do think that the quality of the nominations has been excellent and we've not even had to look at a lot of maps that would never make it at this level. So, maybe, the real thanks should be to the map-makers of quality and those who have nominated their maps.
Or the people who are brave enough to nominate them.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM

owvanguard is surprisingly tart

How many BoV approved maps are there?

I count 16. Is there more than that?

Brian B
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by owvanguard View Post
How many BoV approved maps are there?

I count 16. Is there more than that?
I count 15, unless another has been added recently that isn't up in the display thread yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Nice. That's enough maps for a 30-person tourney without having to duplicate.

-insert signature here-
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I, personally, plan to drop out of the project as soon as we have 600 approved maps. <grin>
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

In preparation for GenCon and a local tournament which used the GenCon maps, I've played a lot on Ticalla Sunrise by GameBear over the last month or so.

It's compact, fast, balanced, and just assymetric enough to make it interesting. It makes great use of the limited sets available- I like the use of the Hive as a LoS blocker, the Jungle in spots where they matter, and the water and swamp water in ways that lengthen an otherwise short map. I try to think of something that I don't like about it, and I can't. The same is true for the people who I've overheard talking about it. It plays and looks great, and is in the GenCon map pool for a reason.

If you couldn't tell by now, I'm voting YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Acceptance votes:

Melee Mania by Soul Shackle
I have some of the same assessments as Kahrma on this map. Every hex of high ground is protected by jungle which sort of offsets what jungle can do for melee units. The map doesn't do much for me aesthetically and the design would appear to make most of the games play out about the same. I am also voting no to review.

Myrkr Spring by Kahrma
Aesthetically, it looks like Ticalla Sunrise through no fault of its own but its design is far more restrictive. The bunched up jungle sort of dictates movement for non flyers and funnels to one side. I am not much of a fan of having the pathing that predetermined for foot units. With the glyph location on the same side that everything is already being funneled to, it looks like a log jam waiting to happen. Given that, the map appears that it would favor range and play mostly to one side; I am voting no to review.

Reviews:
I don't normally jump around like this but my preparations for Gencon gave me game time on both of the following maps, enough were I am ready to give my reviews.

Ticalla Sunrise by Gamebear
I liked the map frorm the first time I saw it. I had been struggling to come up with a single Jungle and a single Swarm build for Gencon. This map immediately fit the need and was selected as soon as I saw it. It is a small map but the LOS blocked from the Hive really helps. The Jungle pieces are also well placed, both strategically and aesthetically to give the map a real solid game play and nice look. I am voting YES to induct this map into the BoV.

Stroll Through the Park by UranusPChicago
I actually was able to play test this map and give feedback on it prior to its final incarnation. I really like what UPC was trying to do with the small turret areas; they are prime real estate but they are hard to get to and control due to their location and design. The pathing through the middle is wide open allowing melee a chance at getting map control. I love smaller cut throat maps like this and it just narrowly missed the cut off for Gencon due to it's many incarnations. I think this final form is another great example of UPC's work. It is pleasing to the eyes and strategically solid; A very challenging and very diverse map from most I have seen or played. I am voting YES to induct this map into the BoV.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; August 9th, 2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Wow! a full month between updates; my apologies!
My personal life has calmed down a bit but I won't be back into my full BoV swing until after Gencon.

- Logged Kahrma's acceptance votes
- Logged Kahram's review of Sunken Temple
- Sunken Temple removed from review as it has received to NO reviews
- Logged Revdyer's review of East Pond
- Logged Jexik's review of Ticalla Sunrise
- Logged R˙chean's acceptance votes
- Logged R˙chean's review of Ticalla Sunrise
- Logged R˙chean's review of Stroll Through the Park

Updated 8/9/2008

Maps pending acceptance for review:

Melee Mania by Soul Shackle
YES = 1(Jexik); NO = 2(Kahrma, R˙chean); Pending = 3 (Revdyer, Velenne, Bunjee)

Myrkr Spring by Kahrma*
YES = 0; NO = 1(R˙chean); Pending = 4 (Revdyer, Velenne, Jexik, Bunjee)
*Kahrma removed from review process per map creator

Maps currently being reviewed:

Badru Valley by Gamebear
YES = 4(Revdyer, Kahrma, Jexik, Velenne); NO = 0; Pending = 2 (R˙chean, Bunjee)

Marro Marsh by Gomolka
YES = 1(Revdyer); NO = 1(Kahrma); Pending = 4 (Velenne, Jexik, R˙chean, Bunjee)

East Pond by Soul Shackle
YES = 1(Revdyer); NO = 0; Pending = 5 (Kahrma, R˙chean, Velenne, Jexik, Bunjee)

Ticalla Sunrise by Gambear
YES = 3(Revdyer, Jexik, R˙chean); NO = 0; Pending = 3 (Kahrma, Velenne, Bunjee)

Shady Oasis by R˙chean*
YES = 1(Revdyer); NO = 0; Pending = 4 (Kahrma, Velenne, Jexik, Bunjee)
*R˙chean removed from review process per map creator

Stroll Through The Park by UranusPChicago
YES = 1(R˙chean); NO = 0; Pending = 5 (Revdyer, Kahrma, Velenne, Jexik, Bunjee)

Last edited by R˙chean; August 9th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Why did this thread get de-stickied?
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM

It was a test to see if anyone would notice. Re-stickied, thanks!

Old August 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM

I've already been playing quite a bit on Myrkr Sping and find it works differently from what I expected. So, I vote YES to review it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios