Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Well, I got the chance to do some real play on Tursan Run by yagyuninja and Spiral Turrets by Mooseman. They are both, in their own way, very enjoyable maps and, oddly, quite similar. Each has a central causeway and mirror image areas on either side; and they both play in somewhat similar ways.

Tursan Run does produce a very fast engagement and the fight over the central glyph is always going to be fierce. This is a fun feature in a game-night map, but I fear would get tedious and limiting in a tournament setting. There just is not too much to do on this map but rush toward the center or wait in ambush for the other person to rush toward it.

Tursan Run looks great, by the way, and I enjoyed playing on it. But I'm voting NO because of the limitations imposed by that central glyph and the battle for it.

So that brings us to Spiral Turrets. Again, a central battle area (this time a bridge) with two mirrored features to either side. Again a glyph (this time a random one) in the middle of the bridge. This is a visually stunning map and makes a great impression while still being quite easy to set up. I really like that. But the turrets, which give the map its name, are not very useful very often. They are great hiding places for KMAs or such, but require a lot of turn-energy to use and are not, I fear, going to be judged all that advantageous very often. That means that, once more, we're down to a battle for the glyph in the middle of the bridge, or, if it is a low value one, to just a battle in the middle of the bridge. Either way, that's the usual way the map is going to play, I think. The turrets, while very pretty, turned out to be just too difficult and costly in terms of movement, usually, to use. We also found it easier for one side (the one with the shorter ruin) to get to the bridge initially than for the other. This was only a one hex difference, but that can be decisive in a game, of course.

So, alas, my vote here is NO as well.

I want to emphasize that these are both fun maps and sit nicely on a table. I would enjoy playing on them casually any time. They just are not what I think a tournament map needs to be.

Thank you for sharing them, yagyuninja and Mooseman.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

After some good playtesting this weekend, I'd like to nominate Stechavan Outskirts.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle View Post
After some good playtesting this weekend, I'd like to nominate Stechavan Outskirts.
This map looks pretty good, and I might have to playtest this map a little. It appeals to me for some reason. The only thing I don't understand is the placement of the ruins. Yes, it blocks out everything from 3/4 sides (one being the end of the map), but then again, you have to make two moves around it just to get out. I like the glyph placement, and the placement of the trees too. Also, the roads going alongside the high ground gives players the options of 1.) Take the high ground, 2.) take the road to your opponent's side, or 3.) Go for the glyph and protect it.

Nice nomination.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

<deleted>

Last edited by Soul Shackle; April 27th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: delete
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker

Aren't we supposed to take these sidebar discussions to the mapmaker's thread instead of talking about it here?
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Aren't we supposed to take these sidebar discussions to the mapmaker's thread instead of talking about it here?
Yes, someone complimented me so I wanted to respond, though.

You are correct - apologies.

EDIT: In fact, deleted.

Last edited by Soul Shackle; April 27th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd like to throw something at you all. Shouldn't all tournament maps provide starting spaces that allow you to set up all HeroScape creatures? At least a few of the BoV maps do not allow for the Marro Hive to be used on it, because there is just no way to place it in the starting spaces. There either is not enough same level space, or there are ruins that prevent Marro Hive from being placed. Usually it looks like the fixes that need to be made to accomodate the Hive are small.

In Battle at the Border in RI I decided against playing Marro Hive for fear of losing it if I could not place it. Afterwards I was glad I did, because in at least two games I would have (lost it).

So here's my question: Should one of the criteria of a BoV be that all creatures from HeroScape fit in the starting hexes?

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD View Post
I'd like to throw something at you all. Shouldn't all tournament maps provide starting spaces that allow you to set up all HeroScape creatures? At least a few of the BoV maps do not allow for the Marro Hive to be used on it, because there is just no way to place it in the starting spaces. There either is not enough same level space, or there are ruins that prevent Marro Hive from being placed. Usually it looks like the fixes that need to be made to accomodate the Hive are small.

In Battle at the Border in RI I decided against playing Marro Hive for fear of losing it if I could not place it. Afterwards I was glad I did, because in at least two games I would have (lost it).

So here's my question: Should one of the criteria of a BoV be that all creatures from HeroScape fit in the starting hexes?
That is a good point that map creators should consider. As fas as I can tell about the maps in BoV that do not allow the Hive to be put in the starting zone, those maps were created before the Hive was out. But I think from now on, the Hive should be considered when the starting zone was assigned.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
Quote:

That is a good point that map creators should consider. As fas as I can tell about the maps in BoV that do not allow the Hive to be put in the starting zone, those maps were created before the Hive was out. But I think from now on, the Hive should be considered when the starting zone was assigned.
I also second this motion.

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old April 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
Quote:
At least a few of the BoV maps do not allow for the Marro Hive to be used on it, because there is just no way to place it in the starting spaces.

This is something we are well aware of. Long is correct in that the maps were made prior to the Hive. We have made the recognition that going forward we must take this into account. We will be adding review information, items of note, and play recommendations for each BoV map. The maps that present challenges to the Hive will be noted with possible recommendations for work around. All of the BoV maps will, of course , remain in the BoV. We will be cognizant in the future.

EDIT - Upon further review, Fire Isles in it's whirlwind induction to the BoV is a map that does not accommodate the Hive. We, as judges, did over look this in our review process. As stated above, we will be more cognizant. Look for Updates to the BoV display and download areas soon.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; April 27th, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Let me "Amen" what Rychaen has said. Most often (with the exception of Fire Isles, I think) simply removing a ruin will then accommodate the Hive. In future some additional ruling may well be needed to say that starting zones need to be "Hive friendly" for a map to be considered for review. (We're not quite to the new rule stage yet in our discussions.)
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Let me "Amen" what Rychaen has said. Most often (with the exception of Fire Isles, I think) simply removing a ruin will then accommodate the Hive. In future some additional ruling may well be needed to say that starting zones need to be "Hive friendly" for a map to be considered for review. (We're not quite to the new rule stage yet in our discussions.)
If I may make a suggestion, I see three options for TDs for this problem:

1. If you can't place the hive, the hive is lost.
2. If you can't place the hive you may attach it to the edge of the map adjacent to your starting zone. In this case, its six spaces still count against the 24 in your starting zone.
3. If the ruin is in the way, you may remove the ruin from your starting zone in order to place your hive.

Whatever rule a TD selects ought to be made public before the tournament so players can decide for themselves if it's worth bringing a hive army.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios