Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 6th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranior View Post
I've been playing a bunch of different stuff recently. Recently picked up a bunch of games I've been contemplating for awhile as well and got quite a bit of stuff played this weekend.

Friday x2

I like to solo game sometimes but mostly play A Feast for Odin or LotR LCG both of which take up quite a bit of space, have a good amount of set up and teardown and take over an hour to play generally. Friday is a nice little compact solo game that plays in about 20 minutes and has some deckbuilding aspects like Dominion which I quite enjoy. Been quite happy with this one thus far, hoping to keep playing and learning how to handle the higher difficulty levels.

Element x2

Been playing this with my boyfriend who grabbed it. It's an abstract/loosely themed game where each player is a sage and on your turn you grab a number of random element stones to place on the board. Each of the 4 elements (wind water earth fire) has different rules for what happens when you place them, and they also have a kind of rock-paper-scissors mechanic where one type of stone can replace another. (So Water can replace Fire which can replace Air which can replace Earth which can replace Water). The goal is to surround your opponents sage. On your turn you get to grab a number of stones equal to 5 minus how many spaces you move your sage so there is a neat decision of how much you want to move away from the stones that are surrounding you and how much you want to grab stones to be pressuring your opponent. I've been having fun with it although I am a little concerned that as we both get better the winner may often be determined by who gets luckier in drawing the right elemental stones at the right time.

Legends of Andor x1

We've been looking for a new cooperative game as we're a bit burned out on the ones we own. We both like cooperative games but we tend to play them quite a bit together and then wind up largely mastering how to win and the most fun part for us--the uncovering of the right strategy--is then over. So we decided to give this one a try and the first game went by very well. This is a few years old now but I can see why it has the praise it has gotten. I really tend to like fantasy themed games but many are too much purely focused on just killing monsters for my taste. This one is a bit more of a Euro like puzzle where you are balancing objectives and time alongside fighting and am impressed thus far. I do worry how much value there will be in replaying the 5 scenarios included in the box, but luckily there are many expansions out now that we could always pick up if we love it. My only other concern is that the game doesn't seem to do much to scale for 2-4 players which makes me worried that with only 2 playing most of the time we're going to struggle quite a bit with the harder scenarios, but we will see.

1x Mr Jack in New York

This is a cool deduction game for 2 players. We don't have a ton of 2 player games so we've been looking to find a few more as our gaming is increasingly the 2 of us right now. In this game one player is Mr Jack who is trying to keep his identity among the 8 characters hidden while the other player is the investigator trying to deduce which of the 8 characters Mr Jack is. I like the rough idea, but will admit that our first game was fairly lame as it was over quickly. It seems to me that this may be one game where it takes a couple plays to really understand the game well enough to play well at all and in the meantime the game is going to be a bit lame as neither of us really know what moves we should be making. I'm hoping we'll find a game we really quite enjoy soon, but who knows.
Have you checked out Onitama? Great 2-player game.
I've only played Onitama once and enjoyed it a good bit. If I didn't have a lot of 2 player games already that don't see enough play, I would for sure pick that game up.

Another great 2 player game is Omen:A Reign of War Omega Edition by Small Box Games. That's a great game!
I'm getting rid of Omen, really not a fan at all. To each their own, but I'd hardly call it a great game haha. I'd give it about a 6.
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've been playing a bunch of different stuff recently. Recently picked up a bunch of games I've been contemplating for awhile as well and got quite a bit of stuff played this weekend.

Friday x2

I like to solo game sometimes but mostly play A Feast for Odin or LotR LCG both of which take up quite a bit of space, have a good amount of set up and teardown and take over an hour to play generally. Friday is a nice little compact solo game that plays in about 20 minutes and has some deckbuilding aspects like Dominion which I quite enjoy. Been quite happy with this one thus far, hoping to keep playing and learning how to handle the higher difficulty levels.

Element x2

Been playing this with my boyfriend who grabbed it. It's an abstract/loosely themed game where each player is a sage and on your turn you grab a number of random element stones to place on the board. Each of the 4 elements (wind water earth fire) has different rules for what happens when you place them, and they also have a kind of rock-paper-scissors mechanic where one type of stone can replace another. (So Water can replace Fire which can replace Air which can replace Earth which can replace Water). The goal is to surround your opponents sage. On your turn you get to grab a number of stones equal to 5 minus how many spaces you move your sage so there is a neat decision of how much you want to move away from the stones that are surrounding you and how much you want to grab stones to be pressuring your opponent. I've been having fun with it although I am a little concerned that as we both get better the winner may often be determined by who gets luckier in drawing the right elemental stones at the right time.

Legends of Andor x1

We've been looking for a new cooperative game as we're a bit burned out on the ones we own. We both like cooperative games but we tend to play them quite a bit together and then wind up largely mastering how to win and the most fun part for us--the uncovering of the right strategy--is then over. So we decided to give this one a try and the first game went by very well. This is a few years old now but I can see why it has the praise it has gotten. I really tend to like fantasy themed games but many are too much purely focused on just killing monsters for my taste. This one is a bit more of a Euro like puzzle where you are balancing objectives and time alongside fighting and am impressed thus far. I do worry how much value there will be in replaying the 5 scenarios included in the box, but luckily there are many expansions out now that we could always pick up if we love it. My only other concern is that the game doesn't seem to do much to scale for 2-4 players which makes me worried that with only 2 playing most of the time we're going to struggle quite a bit with the harder scenarios, but we will see.

1x Mr Jack in New York

This is a cool deduction game for 2 players. We don't have a ton of 2 player games so we've been looking to find a few more as our gaming is increasingly the 2 of us right now. In this game one player is Mr Jack who is trying to keep his identity among the 8 characters hidden while the other player is the investigator trying to deduce which of the 8 characters Mr Jack is. I like the rough idea, but will admit that our first game was fairly lame as it was over quickly. It seems to me that this may be one game where it takes a couple plays to really understand the game well enough to play well at all and in the meantime the game is going to be a bit lame as neither of us really know what moves we should be making. I'm hoping we'll find a game we really quite enjoy soon, but who knows.
I've only played Onitama once and enjoyed it a good bit. If I didn't have a lot of 2 player games already that don't see enough play, I would for sure pick that game up.

Another great 2 player game is Omen:A Reign of War Omega Edition by Small Box Games. That's a great game!
I'm getting rid of Omen, really not a fan at all. To each their own, but I'd hardly call it a great game haha. I'd give it about a 6.
Yeah, not every game is for everyone. There are plenty of games other people think are great, but I I don't care for them.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Friday x2

Element x2

Legends of Andor x1

1x Mr Jack in New York

Yeah, not every game is for everyone. There are plenty of games other people think are great, but I I don't care for them.
For sure- it's part of what makes this hobby so great. And I was throwing that out there not to knock you or your like, but just so that it isn't something where there's only one side to it, if that makes sense, especially if @Ranior is considering picking it up.

BTW, your miniatures are absolutely gorgeous; I wish I had those skills haha.
Old June 7th, 2017, 06:56 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I got in a game of rum and bones 2nd tide in with @Tiranx the other night. Had a game night with him and @Sir Heroscape . It was his first go at it and he beat me with one VP to spare for me. He played the deep lords with davy jones, eurael, and tick tock the gater. I played the frenchie pirates using Gaston with the mercs belle and the beast.. Super fun match. Id never played any of those heroes and hadnt played the frenchies with the 2nd tide rules yet. Afterwards me, sir h and tiranx got in a game of zombicide black plague. It was a first for the both of them and I pulled out all the monsters i had. Me and sir h both lost a survivor but we pulled out a win and it was a good time. Only loss there was some sleep. Thanks again guys.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:02 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

At Monday night game night tonight, I played:

One Night Alien
(x2) - similar to One Night Werewolf. We had a couple 8 player games of this and it was fun. I'm not good at social deduction games, but this one is pretty quick and the roles were pretty neat. It's run by an app that tells people what to do during the night phase, so that was cool.

Concordia
- I taught this to a couple of guys and it was fun as always. It's basically buying/trading goods and building building in different goods producing cities. You start out with 7 of the same cards as everyone else, and on your turn you play one card and take the action. So you can basically move your colonists and build houses on adjacent cities with the Architect for example, or the Mercator lets you buy/sell 2 different types of goods, Senator lets you buy 2 cards from the top row on the board etc. And when you buy those cards, they go straight to your hand. You don't get your discarded cards back until you play a Tribune card that allows you to get all of them back, plus 1 money for each card over 3 that you take back into your hand. Each card has certain ancient gods names on the bottom of them, and at the end of the game, you will score based on what those card types count as. A certain one gives you 1 VP for each house you have in non-brick cities. Another one gives you a VP for each province you have at least one house in, etc. So each card may be worth up to 10 points, but you count each cards of that type separately. So if you had houses in 10 different provinces and had 5 of those types of cards that gives you points for that, then you would get 50 points. So it goes on until either the last of the cards along the top gets bought (they slide to the left and empty spaces are filled in from the deck), or if someone places all 12 of their buildings. Then all the scoring is done, one card type at a time, so it ends up looking like a race on the scoretrack around the board as each person gets certain points for this or that. I came in 2nd with 113 points and 1st place got 115, while 3rd place got 71.

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

Played 6 games of Codenames with my 14 year old niece and 14 year old twin daughters last night. Love that game!

Old June 17th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Last night, I played my first full sized games of FFG's Runewars Miniatures game.

Our group enjoyed the game. It plays well and the levels of army customization appear to be pretty extensive and fun. Trays are fiddly but not as bad as I thought they'd be. The miniatures are minimalistic but cool ... they remind me a bit of the Warcraft-verse. They are easy to put together. Assembly and painting are both fairly easy and quick (especially when compared to Games Workshop or other miniatures akin to them). The game plays pretty fast too. You won't have to spend an entire day playing just one battle. Although the first game or two may take a bit longer (we did a number of skirmish battles before trying a full game). It was good fun.

Last edited by Hellfire; June 18th, 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old June 18th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

I haven't gotten to try that one @Hellfire , but would be interested to try it if the opportunity arises.

Old June 18th, 2017, 07:48 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

GREAT MYTHOLOGICAL GAMES BY METAGOT

1. Cyclades (Greek Myth): Got the new mini expansion Monuments, and downloaded the simple promo used with it called Ancient Ruins. Added them to the basic game and played it with a newbie. He enjoyed the game, and using the Monuments, managed to hold off from my attacks and win! Will be playing again on Wednesday with the new module.

2. Kemet (Egyptian Myth): Just bought the promos of one new tile for each of the four colors and three new skills from the Boardgamegeek store. A second expansion called "Seth" is being designed which should be ready in 2018.

3 Inis (Irish Celtic Myth): This brilliant game by a different designer than the two above is now having its first expansion play tested. Its so good as is that everyone wants minimal changes to the basic systems, and the publishers agree.

COMMANDS & COLORS GAMES BY RICHARD BORG

1. Just tried out two more scenarios from the Epic Expansion #6 to Commands & Colors Napoleonics. Both were French vs British in the Peninsula. Viemiero was very hard for the French, and they lost that one 13 to 6, but had lots of fun with it anyhow. Although we had 7 players signed up, we only ended up playing with three. But this is the first C&C game to actually specifiy playing procedures for every possible combination of even numbered teams, including only two, so it was easy to do with three. I took the French both times, since in two player games I usually offer let that easiest to play nation to my opponents!

Our second game Salamanca was pretty balanced, and I won with he French in much longer and much tighter game 13-10. We have now tried 1 of 2 two super large Grand Battle formats, 6 of the 12 Peninsula Epics, and 2 off the 6 other Epic scenarios. It takes time to get larger groups together for these games, but we are doing them fairly regularly.

2. Coming Attractions late this summer around GenCon time or in 2018--two new games and an expansion:
Tricorn American Revolution (Compass Games)
C&C Medieval (GMT)
The French Army expansion to The Great War (PSC)

OTHER PEOPLE'S GAMES PLAYED RECENTLY

Tiny Epic Galaxies: I've also played Tiny Epic Westerns in this series. Okay for what it is, and simple enough to learn. Die Allocation and random location exploitation.

Last edited by chas; June 18th, 2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old June 18th, 2017, 11:03 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire View Post
Last night, I played my first full sized games of FFG's Runewars Miniatures game.

Our group enjoyed the game. It plays well and the levels of army customization appear to be pretty extensive and fun. Trays are fiddly but not as bad as I thought they'd be. The miniatures are minimalistic but cool ... they remind me a bit of the Warcraft-verse. They are easy to put together. Assembly and painting are both fairly easy and quick (especially when compared to Games Workshop or other miniatures akin to them). The game plays pretty fast too. You won't have to spend an entire day playing just one battle. Although the first game or two may take a bit longer (we did a number of skirmish battles before trying a full game). It was good fun.
I never really knew what Runewars was, which is surprising with all of the miniatures games that I have been looking at lately. This one looks great and reminds me of the upcoming Song of Ice and Fire game, simply because it has units in trays and a commander. I wonder if they play similarly.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:

I never really knew what Runewars was, which is surprising with all of the miniatures games that I have been looking at lately. This one looks great and reminds me of the upcoming Song of Ice and Fire game, simply because it has units in trays and a commander. I wonder if they play similarly.
There are similarities. I have my eye on the SoIFMG. As far I can tell some of the primary differences include (SoIaFMG/RW): d6/custom d8s and a d12; Reaction oriented movement/Prediction oriented movement; all figures on one unit tray/customizable interlocking trays; tactics sideboard/rune casting magic; SoIaF-verse/Runebound-verse; all human based armies (could change with some Night Walkers though)/more of a traditional fantasy universe.

I'm sure I've missed something but those stand out. They both seem to have fairly simple rules, imo. I'm waiting to see more from CMoN games before deciding whether to attempt collecting both but I'd probably consider it at this point (I'm also waiting to see what kind of support FFG is going to have for Runewars in the long haul).

Either way, I intend to have some fun.
Old June 18th, 2017, 01:36 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
There are similarities. I have my eye on the SoIFMG. As far I can tell some of the primary differences include (SoIaFMG/RW): d6/custom d8s and a d12; Reaction oriented movement/Prediction oriented movement; all figures on one unit tray/customizable interlocking trays; tactics sideboard/rune casting magic; SoIaF-verse/Runebound-verse; all human based armies (could change with some Night Walkers though)/more of a traditional fantasy universe.

I'm sure I've missed something but those stand out. They both seem to have fairly simple rules, imo. I'm waiting to see more from CMoN games before deciding whether to attempt collecting both but I'd probably consider it at this point (I'm also waiting to see what kind of support FFG is going to have for Runewars in the long haul).

Either way, I intend to have some fun.
I was curious about terrain use in this game. I know from the unboxing videos that I watched that the game comes with a few 2D terrain pieces. But the gameplay video I watched only had a couple of pieces of terrain off to the side. Is terrain a big part of this game? Does it require a lot of terrain?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games