View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

I agree with the above two posts. Braced Spear coupled with Impale buffing the ranged attack, is what pushes the Cathar into their A tier. They would be a fine design, and drip theme and such, either without impale, or without Braced Spear, but the two combined, while thematic, is not great for game play. It almost seems like they were a 3/4 squad and the 3rd attack die was changed to impale, to encourage the enemy to engage more aggressively, to negate the extra attack.

I don't remember exactly who is was, but someone in the C3V said that if they were to design the Cathar knowing what they know now, Braced Spear would work differently. Moving adjacent to several Cathars would trigger it only once, but add +1 to the d20 roll for each Cathar that you were not previously engaged with.

I also like my own idea of making it a 19 - 20 But + 1 if Medium, +2 if Large, and +3 if Huge. It would be thematic as well, since a braced spear is more likely to succeed, the more momentum the thing you are bracing against has.