View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2021, 01:10 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 1] DIENEKES (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Testing

Did a quick test play tonight.

270 points
Map: DANCE OF THE DRYADS (BftU, VW, RttFF)
Glyphs: None

Army 1: Pyria (P), Agent Carr, Tarn
Army 2: Dienekes (D), Krav Maga Agents, Thorgrim

Which units survived?

At the end there was a single Krav, a half-life Dienekes, and a full life Thorgrim left (~150 pts).

Full report here:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Pyria's special was moderately effective. Rolls didn't go well, but getting to attack multiple figures while just outside Dienekes range was useful. Due to positioning she had to sacrifice height to get an extra attack line. She did ~50 points of damage before dying and the 7 range was good at making sure she had height when attacking with her normal.

I intentionally tried to abuse Dienekes' power by putting him on shadow adjacent to molten lava and Thorgrim. His position heavily discouraged melee hero engagement (hot lava death!) but wasn't a huge impediment to melee squads, with the Tarn effectively engaging.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

I played myself so it was fun to win no matter what. This particular map made it very challenging to play against Dienekes, but in this build he played very on-theme as a protective tank type of character. I appreciated that his power is more of an aura type effect rather than pure adjacency. Paired with terrain and Thorgrim boosts and 6 life he was very stout, and even after moving out of both areas still performed well against multiple Tarn attacks of 3. I would like to see him played against Heavies/Grimnak/Tornak which could both flood him with more disposable commons and engage with larger figures that can't be moved.

Pyria with higher life and low defense typical of elves seemed very on point. My only criticism would be to maybe give her one extra space for the special attack. With just three spaces each, it leads her to want to be close to engagement, but she's far too frail for that.