View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: ScapeCon 2022 Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
H
6) I really liked that we tried different formats. Would love to see Assassin's Creed return. Burn out is crazy, but fun. We need to tweak Control Points. Firestorm dominated the best armies.
I've been thinking a good amount about this point. This was the event that I was closest to winning during the weekend (also one loss out of shifting alliances, General Wars, Main Event Day 2, and 3HH ). I was 3-1 in the event with my Ws at 6-0, 6-0, and 8-2, and the one loss to GB's Firestorm at 7-5. If I were to play that matchup again, I could see it going the other way as I was out to a 5-1 lead before round 3.

So I don't think that competitively Firestorm is an issue. And while 4 of the 13 armies had FEs in them (with no other squad showing up in more than 2), the top 4 armies were all different (Firestorm, Gruts, GSW+Nilf, and Glad/Blast). I think that's a decent variety, and I don't think a rules change is needed.

I think there are more subtle ways to lessen Firestorm. While I hadn't thought of FEs, maybe their dominance this past year shifts a build like Isamu, Nilfheim, Theracus, Greenscale Warriorsx3 to one like Marcu, Moltenclaw, Theracus, Greenscale Warriorsx3 (to take advantage of MC's lava resistance) or the map pool could have something like GameBear's Water Treatment Facility where water is more of a presence in key areas and is a threat to a pure FE army. I had a late round 3 ping of 1v4 on an FE that could have given me the win: on water that's a 50% killshot instead of 9.9%. The mixed elemental armies went 2-2, 2-2, and 1-3 which is definitely not overpowering.