View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Hey @Leaf_It !

I really like the look and feel of your maps. All of them are very pleasing aesthetically and I can tell you spent a lot of time deciding where line of sight blockers and pathing went. Here are my thoughts:

Ice Rock Dungeon
I think this map looks really neat and I love the abundant supply of line of sight blockers. The "Very Slippery Ice" rule is interesting, and I understand what you're going for, but I'm not sure if that completely makes sense either. Yes, slippery ice does cause you to go further than you intended, but often times you lack control to decide when you turn (thinking back to some old Pokemon games). So while this rule does propel you further, it allows you to do a lot of zigzagging, something that probably couldn't happen in real life. That's why I actually prefer the standard slippery ice rules. I've always interpreted it as "The ice is so slippery that you have to walk slower so you don't lose your balance."

This is just a nitpicky thing since you brought up realism in ice rules. Functionally, I think it's actually a really neat terrain effect.
When speaking for my self, when there's large patches of ice, I don't usually try to go slower to stay steady, I try to launch myself to see how far I can slide, and sometime that makes me run into things, or go farther than I want. I see your point though, most people do try to go slow, and stay steady.
Quote:
A Couple Puddles
I also like how you used line of sight blockers on this map. The trees help from shooting across the gap, and the ruin helps a bit as you approach on your right side. Regarding glyph choice, I wonder if you might want to choose something a little more powerful in the middle. As it currently stands, I'm not sure if Dagmar is powerful enough to draw attention away from the two hills. Maybe Wannok or Valda could be placed there instead. Valda in particular could be useful in helping melee teams scale the hills.
It's funny that you mention Valda, because that was the Glyph I originally had in the middle. I was told that it was redundant with all the road there is, and that it would likely be ignored since the normal movement with road bonus is so good. I agree that Valda is great glyph to have when moving melee forces, and I value it highly in games that I play in. I'll see what the ARV says after they test the map.
Quote:
There is a Wall Here
I love the novelty factor of this map. You make use of these disparate terrain expansions without having the map look too cacophonous. I realize that you don't recommend it for competitive play, but I wanted to offer one suggestion nonetheless. With the layout of the map, it seems like most of the action will be concentrated by the glyph, and I can imagine it getting very cramped. I'd be curious to see what you could do with the map if you shortened the wall a bit to open the action up.

But if you'd rather leave it as is, I get that too.
As it currently is, a move 6 range 6 can already 1 turn attack the opponents start zone. I don't want to allow that any more that I already am.

Thank you for all the feedback @rednax I appreciate it.