View Single Post
Old August 6th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

@Sir Heroscape It just occurred to me that Strength of Souls allows you to place any common Valkrill figure on Druzhul's army card. However Return of Souls only forces you to place Undead Valkrill figures back into the game. This would mean that by using non-undead figures, you are permanently buffing Druzhul for the rest of the game, becausee there's no way to remove them. This kind of potential buff would make designing lower cost Valkrill common squads, or common heros very difficult, because they could be used to permanently buff Druzhul. Imagine if Valkrill ever received a 40 point 4 figure, or a 30 point 3 figure squad? They would break Druzhul in his current state. Adding the clause of "undead" fixes this, because return of souls forces you to loose the buff if you ever kill anything. I misread the card at first and thought that since Return of Souls was undead only, that Strength of Souls must be as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
I'd just straight bump him to 4 Defense, and take out that funny wording about how strong he can be up to X...

Soul Sacrifice

After revealing an Order Marker on this card, you may choose any Common Squad figure who follow Valkrill and destroy that figure and place it on this army card.

Souls Special Attack Range 4 Attack 4
When attacking with this attack, you may attack one additional time as long as there is an Common Squad Figure on this army card. After attacking with Souls Special attack, roll the 20 sided die. If you roll 1-8, remove a Common Squad figure from this army card.

Soul Revival - Change it to just Common Squad Undead as the criteria.
I like a lot of Kinseth's suggestions here too.

I like the suggestion to remove the defense buff from the first power, because it's simple, but it doesn't change the way the design plays over all. A simple defense increase to 4 is a good way to keep Druzhul's general power at around the same point.

I also think that limiting Strength of souls to 1 figure per turn is a good way of preventing any kind of snowball effect. Allowing for 2 per turn buffs him up quickly, and a ranged special attack of 4 is nothing to laugh at. I don't think he needs to be able to buff his special so quickly, so it feels unnecessary to me. If this feels too harsh, maybe you can increase his range to 5.

I actually don't agree with the Souls of the Dead suggestion though. It would fix the issue with Strength of Souls that I brought up above, by incorporating a risk of removing any figures that are on the card, but including a d20 feels like it's adding things to do during the turn, which is just making it more complex.

Return of Souls looks to be borrowing from the limitations of the Zombies of Morindan, as well as Nicolas Esenwein. Removing the small/medium requirement looks like a good idea because that's actually a downside for Druzhul. Druzhul wants to keep his souls, limiting it to small/medium just gives him things that he can attack without reviving them. This is the same reason that I don't think an undead restriction should be added to this power either. I don't think anyone has suggested that yet, but it would only be a buff to the design, and not a downside as it might initially appear.