Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3V and SoV Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   The Book of Cathar Spearmen (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=48054)

superfrog March 21st, 2013 12:03 PM

The Book of Cathar Spearmen

The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Vydar's Betrayal - C3 - Pikes and Fey

The figures used for this unit are Confrontation figures from the Griffins set. They are available in the Griffin Spearmen Unit Box (8 figures) and the Confrontation Starter Set (8 figures). The name of the figure is Spearman.

REACH
If an opponent’s figure is within 2 spaces of a Cathar Spearman, and its base is no more than 3 levels above that Cathar Spearman’s height or 3 levels below that Cathar Spearman’s base, that Cathar Spearman may add 1 to his Range when attacking that figure.

BRACED SPEAR 16
If an opponent’s figure moves adjacent to a previously unengaged Cathar Spearman, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives one wound.

IMPALE
When attacking a non-adjacent figure, a Cathar Spearman receives an additional attack die.

Character Bio - (Insert character Bio)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: If a Cathar Spearman attacks a figure 2 spaces away using its REACH Special Ability, does the Reach-ed figure receive the Defense Bonus from Jungle Trees and Brush?
    A: Yes. REACH gives a Cathar Spearman a normal ranged attack with vertical limitations. A Reach-ed figure defends against a normal ranged attack, including any bonuses to its defense which it would normally get under those circumstances. This also means that melee attack-bonuses (such as those offered by Finn the Viking Champion and Sir Gilbert) cannot modify an Attack made using REACH.
  • Q: If a figure is thrown/pushed/knocked back into an unengaged Cathar Spearman, do you still have to roll for Braced Spear?
A: Yes, moving and placing are the same, and the figure was placed next to or moved next to the Spearman.

Q: If a Cathar Spearman is engaged with one figure, and that figure is replaced with a different figure, can that Spearman roll for Braced Spear 16 on the figure that replaces the previous one? (Examples of how this could happen include: 1) a Horned Skull Brute uses Barge into Battle to switch places with a figure engaged with the Spearman, 2) Arashara Goshiri uses Shifting Sands to switch a figure engaged with the Spearman with a different figure, or 3) Tor-Kul-Na Trample Stomps a nagrub which is engaged with the Spearman. Other situations also exist.)
A: No. The Spearman is considered continuously engaged, so the Spearman does not meet the "previously unengaged" requirement to use Braced Spear 16.
-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Leadership
    As Soldiers, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER LEADERSHIP movement bonus.
  • MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Attack Enhancement
    As Soldiers, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT.
  • COUNT RAYMOND: Devout Leadership
    As figures with the Devout personality, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Count Raymond's DEVOUT LEADERSHIP movement bonus.
  • COUNT RAYMOND: Maneuver 9
    As humans who follow Einar, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Count Raymond's MANEUVER 9 power to ignore leaving engagement attacks.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • N/A
-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking
Tough on melee, particularly non-bonding melee, but their numbers, toughness, and reach make them effective in a wide range of situations. A

greygnarl March 21st, 2013 12:25 PM

Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

You probably want to add the clarification about Knockbacks, Throws, Shield Pushes, etc.

elvenwizard9 March 21st, 2013 12:41 PM

x2 Cathar Spearmen 150
x2 Redcoats 300
Marcus 400
AE 510

Sound like fun, anybody?

greygnarl March 21st, 2013 12:44 PM

Nope. I'd go Cathar x4 or 10th x4. Mixing just doesn't work.

elvenwizard9 March 21st, 2013 12:56 PM

Well, I was thinking of just throwing the Cathar out as a screen, seeing as they could hold the line pretty well, especially against opposing melee. Position the redcoats directly behind the spearmen and drop enemies as they approach.

It's a very defensive tactic, I know, and it would probably be best used in a defensive scenario.

Joseph Sweeney March 21st, 2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1785489)

Really? I think that would be a rather good build. It reminds me of the following build of which I've done quite well with:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

Total: 460

I've played about a dozen games with that army and I've only lost once.

orgsbane March 21st, 2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 (Post 1785487)
x2 Cathar Spearmen 150
x2 Redcoats 300
Marcus 400
AE 510

Sound like fun, anybody?

I definitely like that one! Plus, if your lucky, you can drop them in, wreak havoc, and have plenty of time set up your defensive line. Pretty sweet.

greygnarl March 21st, 2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney (Post 1785518)
Quote:

Really? I think that would be a rather good build. It reminds me of the following build of which I've done quite well with:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The Cathar can't bond with Marcus though so you have to waste time positioning him and them instead of just both at the same time.

Joseph Sweeney March 21st, 2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1785547)
Quote:

Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The Cathar can't bond with Marcus though so you have to waste time positioning him and them instead of just both at the same time.

Hmmm, yeah, your right. I forgot about the bonding factor.

Son of Arathorn March 21st, 2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The argument I see against using a tough melee screen with redcoats is that the redcoats can function as their own melee force, quite effectively. Thus, trying to protect an able-bodied force means you waste points on unnecessary figures and don't get enough Brits.

I would try Cathars with anti-range units. Allowing the spearmen to go toe-to-toe with melee is likely key to their success against tough armies.

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcus Decimus Gallus- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

Send the Krav after the ranged units, then move the Cathar in to deal with the melee squads.

Heroscaper Guy March 21st, 2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn (Post 1785562)
Quote:

Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The argument I see against using a tough melee screen with redcoats is that the redcoats can function as their own melee force, quite effectively. Thus, trying to protect an able-bodied force means you waste points on unnecessary figures and don't get enough Brits.

I would try Cathars with anti-range units. Allowing the spearmen to go toe-to-toe with melee is likely key to their success against tough armies.

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

Send the Krav after the ranged units, then move the Cathar in to deal with the melee squads.

The thing is both these armies are order marker nightmares. You've got plenty of places to put markers on both armies thus they have to be spread out. An army with fewer cards would completely wipe the floor on these.

Son of Arathorn March 21st, 2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy (Post 1785567)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn (Post 1785562)
Quote:

Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

The thing is both these armies are order marker nightmares. You've got plenty of places to put markers on both armies thus they have to be spread out. An army with fewer cards would completely wipe the floor on these.

Not necessarily. You'd really only be using 2 of those units at a time. Marcus is a passive unit for his leadership ability, so he only needs OMs once in a while, Marcu is either saved for the end or goes after a glyph, and the Marro Warriors are a cleanup force, meaning you keep 'em back until the end of the game.

Really, order markers in my army just get shared between the Cathars and Agents.

greygnarl March 21st, 2013 05:15 PM

I don't like Marcus with these guys. A Range 2 pod is hard to set up and the OMs wasted on Marcus are just that, wasted.

I like
Cathar x4 300
Raelin 380
Krav 480
Marcu 500

MegaSilver March 21st, 2013 05:44 PM

Just use Marcus for the movement boost then.

greygnarl March 21st, 2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSilver (Post 1785709)
Just use Marcus for the movement boost then.

Oh yeah, duh.

caps March 21st, 2013 05:52 PM

Marcus is not a bad pick with the Cathars. His usefulness will vary depending on the map and the opponent, but if there's a nice place to pod up within about a turn of your SZ then Marcus is extra-beneficial.

ZBeeblebrox March 21st, 2013 06:01 PM

The Hero I like best with the Cathars is ***** ******* :twisted:

Heroscaper Guy March 21st, 2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox (Post 1785727)
The Hero I like best with the Cathars is ***** ******* :twisted:

Well, thats Count Raymond and there are two reasons for that. From the comments I've seen about them being better with him, and that he is the only figure in the hero pack that fits in the blank. Your hints seem to be getting easier, ZB.

Sock March 21st, 2013 08:57 PM

Has anyone used these guys with the Air Elementals? Seems like it'd be an interesting combination for a melee pod. It'd lose against pretty much everything, but still...:p

Cathar x3
Air Elementals x5
Kurrok

Would be fun to try.

caps March 21st, 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sock (Post 1785832)
Has anyone used these guys with the Air Elementals? Seems like it'd be an interesting combination for a melee pod. It'd lose against pretty much everything, but still...:p

Cathar x3
Air Elementals x5
Kurrok

Would be fun to try.

That would be fun to try, I agree.

Arch-vile March 21st, 2013 10:24 PM

The Cathars are a lot of fun. They can crush most melee, but melee still has a chance much of the time depending on the dice and strategies used. Air Elementals would be a nice pairing for more anti-melee, but I'd imagine something like Phantom Knights or Beakface Sneaks would be a better help, for those pesky ranged units.

I can't share my favorite Cathar build yet. :whistle:

superfrog March 21st, 2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1785470)
You probably want to add the clarification about Knockbacks, Throws, Shield Pushes, etc.

Done, at least I think that's what you wanted.

greygnarl March 21st, 2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfrog (Post 1785894)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1785470)

Done, at least I think that's what you wanted.

:thumbsup:

orgsbane March 21st, 2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 1785885)
The Cathars are a lot of fun. They can crush most melee, but melee still has a chance much of the time depending on the dice and strategies used. Air Elementals would be a nice pairing for more anti-melee, but I'd imagine something like Phantom Knights or Beakface Sneaks would be a better help, for those pesky ranged units.

Heh. Me neither. Why can't they have dailly realeases? That would be cool. Now we gotta wait 3 more weeks until the Count is revealed, along with his epic power that makes these guys better. Man I love play testing :D

vegietarian18 March 21st, 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Your favorite Cathar build has already been shared. ;)

Arch-vile March 21st, 2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegietarian18 (Post 1785905)
Quote:

But it's hidden! (kind of). And they don't know why. WAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

XDVincent March 22nd, 2013 12:53 AM

Really love these guys, got to use them when play testing Raymond. I'll say this, you need probably 3-4 to get their full effectiveness. Anything less and their numbers don't really stand up.

greygnarl March 22nd, 2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 1785912)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegietarian18 (Post 1785905)
Quote:

But it's hidden! (kind of). And they don't know why. WAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

lol, your favorite build obviously consists of as many Cathars as you can get and Count Raymond. :razz:

Yodaking March 22nd, 2013 05:19 PM

I bought the starter box set a while ago so I already have 2 squads ready to go. Don't really want to track down and buy two more squads though, can they be effective a 2x or are they just like most squads where 3x is the minimum?

Oh, and is their hero (the mentioned Count) a figure I would already have too from the starter set (have not looked at it in quite a while so I'm not sure what else came in it) or will he be something I would need to purchase separately?

Heroscaper Guy March 22nd, 2013 05:24 PM

Yep, Abel (the hero in the starter) is Count Raymond.

Yodaking March 22nd, 2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy (Post 1786357)
Yep, Abel (the hero in the starter) is Count Raymond.

Good to know, thanks.

dok March 22nd, 2013 05:37 PM

I'd say they tend to need 3+ squads for maximum effectiveness, like most commons.

When facing spearmen with bonding melee, one strategy I like is to have my bonding hero heroically lead the charge into the line. The (multi-life) hero absorbs the wounds from braced spear, and once a spearman is engaged he can't use braced spear on the squad figures that follow up. So bonding melee actually does have some ways to deal with the spearmen.

On the flip side, I don't think the spearmen are really that bad against range. 4 defense is always nice against commons, and you're going to be rolling with the full 3-die attack most of the time against ranged figures.

ZBeeblebrox March 22nd, 2013 06:42 PM

It not too expensive to add two more squads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 1784539)
Hey all, Miniaturemarket is selling boxes of the very-soon-to-be-released Cathar Spearmen (8 figures = 2 squads) for $9.00!

I fought the urge to buy them, but you don't have to! Only 55 left!

DanieLoche March 23rd, 2013 10:43 AM

How do you mean with "Braced spear" ?
I'm translating these cards for the French Community, and I'd like to know the exact signification of "Braced" here.
A synonym please? (or better: a translation? ^^)

awesomeunleashed March 23rd, 2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanieLoche (Post 1786842)
How do you mean with "Braced spear" ?
I'm traducing these cards for the French Community, and I'd like to know the exact signification of "Braced" here.
A synonym please? (or better: a traduction? ^^)

Braced = steadied, locked/held in place, etc. To skewer an oncoming charge.

DanieLoche March 23rd, 2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed (Post 1786848)
Braced = steadied, locked/held in place, etc. To skewer an oncoming charge.

Thanks, I understand! Now, I've to find a good translation! (:?)

Serenity March 23rd, 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch-vile (Post 1784539)
Hey all, Miniaturemarket is selling boxes of the very-soon-to-be-released Cathar Spearmen (8 figures = 2 squads) for $9.00!

I fought the urge to buy them, but you don't have to! Only 55 left!

Thanks, I picked up a box!

What's the best way to deal with their low speed (and short range) when dealing with opponent's range? Marcus seems like a costly addition since he doesn't bond.

awesomeunleashed March 23rd, 2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 1786944)
What's the best way to deal with their low speed (and short range) when dealing with opponent's range? Marcus seems like a costly addition since he doesn't bond.

Wait until they get a hero that goes well with them. :D

Arch-vile March 23rd, 2013 12:41 PM

Marcus isn't a bad pick, but the Cathar are sturdy enough 4 move is enough at times. Especially against melee, when you want the opponent to bring the fight to you anyway. The 4 move is crippling versus strong range like Stingers, though.

dok March 24th, 2013 01:55 PM

It can work either way. If you play the Spearmen without Marcus or Raymond, then you really need a powerful ranged component to bring their opponent to them. In that context, Raelin works really well with them because you are keeping them in tight and using them as a screen until your opponent is in range of the pointy sticks. Something like Spearmen x3 + Raelin + Krav is an effective formula.

Adding Marcus to the above or a similar build is truly nasty against melee, because against melee you can actually get Marcus's attack bonus going. But against ranged builds, Raymond is basically a discount Marcus, and he also gives you some more tactical flexibility against things like Dragon+Greenscales or rats+range.

I've never tried using Raymond and Marcus at the same time but unless you were short on startzone spaces I doubt it would be a strong option.

Serenity March 24th, 2013 04:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Tai-Pan April 10th, 2013 04:48 AM

I like the idea of a massive melee-based or range-limited battle with 800-1200 points per team, general-based. Einar shows up with Romans and Marcus, Sacred Band and Parmenio, the Cathars and Raymond, and goes crazy, disciplined-style. Cathars running across the field (6 move!) with their long spears, Greeks working their way through enemy figures without worrying so much about disengaging, Romans moving up in clumps. In the middle of the battlefield the Romans form up a shield wall, the Cathars stick their spears out from behind them, Marcus supports.

I like it.

superfrog April 10th, 2013 09:43 AM

Updated with Count Raymond synergies, I think that's all of them. I'll link to his book once it's up.

wriggz April 11th, 2013 07:46 AM

Would Finn's aura affect reach here? The card says all Friendly figures with a range of 1, techincally The Spearmen have a range of 1 listed on their card so it should apply.

vegietarian18 April 11th, 2013 07:55 AM

Nope. They add one to their range, so they no longer have a range of one. However, if they attack an adjacent figure, the bonus does apply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Book of Fen Hydra
REACH = Ranged Attack
Q: If the Fen Hydra Attacks a figure 2 spaces away using its REACH Special Ability, does the Reach-ed figure receive the Defense Bonus from Jungle Trees and Brush?
A: Yes. REACH gives the Hydra a normal ranged Attack with vertical limitations. A Reach-ed figure Defends against a normal ranged Attack, including any bonuses to its Defense which it would normally get under those circumstances. This also means that melee Attack-bonuses (such as those offered by Finn the Viking Champion and Sir Gilbert) cannot modify an Attack made using REACH.

MegaSilver April 11th, 2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wriggz (Post 1797360)
Would Finn's aura affect reach here? The card says all Friendly figures with a range of 1, techincally The Spearmen have a range of 1 listed on their card so it should apply.

It should already be in the OP. You can also look in Fen Hydra's book.

If they do a melee attack, they get the bonus, but if they use Reach they cannot.

wriggz April 11th, 2013 07:58 AM

You know I read that a couple of times but overlooked the last sentence. Go figure.

Red Eyed Jedi April 17th, 2013 06:44 PM

Played these guys a few weekends ago, and wanted to say I had a blast with them, but the figures themselves are pretty fragile.

2 of the figures hands came off (the ones holding the spears) and one of the heads came off at some point, and is still lost.

Play yours with care fellow Scapers, and when in doubt, glue them.