Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Official Units Revisited (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26018)

Geryon November 6th, 2009 09:17 PM

Re: Official Units Revisited

A lot of the official units needed such a drastic rewrite.

I mean seriously, Khousemet? Can you honestly say that Khousemet is the product of hours and hours and hours of playtesting?

So much official stuff is just SOO bad in comparison with some of the stuff that is SOO ridiculously good that I think the author is right in his complete revision of these units.

It's obvious that I personally helped him with some of the creative input for some of the fixes as I feel the need to defend the work.

But yeah, totally, a lot of the units are completely reworked. But this is a good thing. Q9 doesn't need to have 7 defense and Khosemet doesnt need to have 3 life. Krav don't need 7 range and Rats don't need 4 defense and TWO scatters.
(IMO)

jschild November 6th, 2009 09:20 PM

That's not what I was referring too.

I am referring to the complete reworking of figures so that their abilities no longer resemble what they originally had. Dignin's tweaks are far more reasonable as they consitently keep the flavor of the original figure with only minor tweaks and cost adjustments.

I'm pretty much against complete reworkings of figures when simple tweaks can do the job and keep the original flavor.

rouby44 November 6th, 2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkBladeCB (Post 938381)
And if all the units are perfectly balanced, you basically set up your figures and let the dice do all of the work.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Making units more balanced against each other in terms of their overall value makes more room for individual player skill to shine through while reducing the effect of initial army match-ups.

rouby44 November 6th, 2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschild (Post 951246)
That's not what I was referring too.

I am referring to the complete reworking of figures so that their abilities no longer resemble what they originally had. Dignin's tweaks are far more reasonable as they consitently keep the flavor of the original figure with only minor tweaks and cost adjustments.

I'm pretty much against complete reworkings of figures when simple tweaks can do the job and keep the original flavor.

If you read my original post I thoroughly explain why some figures have had very modest tweaks while others have undergone more thorough revision. Although there are similarities between what Dignan is doing and what has been done here, our end goals are somewhat different.

b57123m November 6th, 2009 10:10 PM

rouby44, i dont know why but i love your dund card i don't know how it affects the metagame or competitive play but IMO that fits the HS storyline better

Agent Minivann November 6th, 2009 10:56 PM

There are some interesting ideas in there. Some of them are baffling to me. I can understand changing the general for the Shaolin Monks, but Einar isn't one that I would have considered. If Woo goes to Einar as well then it makes a bit more sense, but I don't see that yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geryon (Post 951243)
A lot of the official units needed such a drastic rewrite.

I mean seriously, Khousemet? Can you honestly say that Khousemet is the product of hours and hours and hours of playtesting?

I don't think that it is a stretch to imagine that Khosumet is the product of hours of play testing. If you think that play testing means prebuilt armies of about 500 points, a 24 hex starting zone, and a balanced map (or in other words tournament play), then I say no there wasn't as much play testing. The tournament game came after Heroscape. Khosumet was probably already in collections long before the first tournament as we would recognize today. The game (and the point values) is based on more than tournament play.

LMB November 6th, 2009 11:55 PM

It's an interesting idea and if it makes the game more fun then I say go for it, but from my perspective I wouldn't change anything. I used to think about these kinds of changes until I read rdhight's Embrace the Suck: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=16885

I also find it interesting/entertaining to play some of the "crappy" units or units I wouldn't normally put together. For example, recently I took all of the Aquilla units I own and added up their point cost - that was my army. My opponent picked a different general and took an equal point cost. We ended up having a really fun, and very different game than usual.

Geryon November 7th, 2009 06:38 PM

Oh there are limitless ways to have fun playing heroscape the way it already is. It is an absolutely incredible game for having fun.

But there are lots of cards that are simply unfit for competitive play, a lot of them quite obviously so. That's what these changes are for.

It's not like every single card is changed. Heroscape officials got most of the stuff right imo, but too much stuff is just Bad to justify having spent good Cash on it.

One of the wonderful things about Heroscape is the Freedom it gives you.

rouby44 November 14th, 2009 01:42 PM

I updated Shiori such that she is now a 10-point ninja and viable Isamu alternative.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...y/shiori-2.jpg

Toad Rocket November 14th, 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rouby44 (Post 956660)
I updated Shiori such that she is now a 10-point ninja and viable Isamu alternative.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...y/shiori-2.jpg

When I first looked at her powers and stats I was thinking "are you on crack?"

Then I saw she was 10 points then I was "Hmm, not a bad idea"

I suppose you wouldnt place any 'Real' OMs on her until the near end of the game when you dont have much choice to spend an OM for 1 attack of three.

Agent Minivann November 14th, 2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rouby44 (Post 956660)

I really like Stealth Walk. It allows some very tactical decisions. Do I give up my bluff to move now, or do I wait until the end of the round? There's a nice risk/reward element there.

lefton4ya May 7th, 2010 10:02 AM

:bump: Necro

With the Competitive Unit Congress pretty much taking over the purpose of this thread in a more organized fasion, I still think there is an opportunity to change even B units to make them more competitive and take A/A- units down a smidge. Some notes is that if you change units (up or down), you inherently also change the ranking of units that have synergy with the one you change as well as the best counter draft to that character. For instance, increasing cost of Rats inherently decreases viability of all ranges units and increases all melee units. Decreasing the cost of Hatamoto Taro also increases the ranking of all Samurai. So, what suggestions do you have for decent units that could change other units's viability.

I had suggested making the NinjasOTNW have [tricky/woman] ninja hero bonding to increase all ninja heroes' uses. Another option is making the Venoc Warlord UnCommon to increase Armoc Vipers. Another one is giving Anubian Wolves Relentless Guard (Dumutef Guard) bonding. Can you tell i like bonding? But even non bonding changes can help any character they have synergy with and there are dozens of changes that could be recommended. Anyone have other suggestions here or do you think this thread should not be necroed and instead everyone should just focus on the Competitive Unit Congress?