Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM

gambl009 is surprisingly tart
Determining the Best Use of Units: Artillery

Determining the Best Use of Units: Artillery

Heroscape is about strategy, battles, objectives, survival, and all-out war. Since its beginning, Heroscape has used traditional military terminology such as generals, armies, and heroes. So, can looking at the stats of each unit reveal their best use?

First, let me define the uses. In real life military, there are 4 divisions of an army. Infantry is the division of an army which may be slow, but steady and utilized for down-and-dirty, hand-to-hand combat. Artillery usually consists of staying at a distance and hurling objects at opponents in an attempt to wear them down. Cavalry is the quickest division and is used for flanking an opponent. Support is the division of an army which can be called on for a multitude of tasks including helping injured units, increasing attack effectiveness or bolstering defense. Many people who play this game refer to these units as “cheerleaders.”

For this post, I will focus on artillery. Typically, you want to get your artillery units in place quickly. Take the heights closest to you first. From this position, artillery can perform several tasks for you. They can destroy key units or heroes which will affect your opponents’ plans. They can also thin out your opponents numbers by destroying squad members before your opponent is even in range to counterattack. At the very least, artillery can mask the movements of your cavalry and infantry by keeping your opponent on the defensive and even preventing your opponents’ maneuvers by making them hide behind cover instead of risking exposure to fire.

The most effective use of artillery is determined by the map being used, but there is a best-case scenario in this game. If you can occupy two well-defensible heights using units whose ranges overlap and are greater than any ranged attack your opponent can manage AND those heights overlook a narrow pass (that would also be the straightest path to the objective), then you might be able to corral your opponent into a deathtrap.

There is one drawback to artillery, though. Usually, they don’t rank high on defense, so if you’re planning for a prolonged bombardment instead of a quick burst of fire, you need to support them with some defensive units.

Here is the process I used to determine the units in the game that are best for artillery purposes. First, I separated units into heroes and armies to compare heroes to heroes and armies to armies. I then determined the average range and attack for all units in both columns.** Next, I removed all units from both lists that had an average range or lower for their group. Finally, I ordered them by range (furthest to shortest) first and attack power (highest to lowest) second. When a tie-breaker was needed, I used the unit’s height since taller units are able to see over more terrain and obstacles.

Also, these rankings are based on simple unit stats. There is too much chance and randomness of maps and terrain to factor that in. There is also a statistical nightmare trying to factor possible height advantages. Last, I ignored special attacks (but did mention them) due to their often unpredictable nature.

Here are my picks for artillery:

Heroes:

1. Deadeye Dan
With a range of 10, he can hit most people 1 or 2 turns before they are in range to get him. However, there are some tricks to his success: get him into a high position pronto, attack units with low defense while on the move, support him with an ally that will increase his base attack power, support him with Raelin for a defense boost while stationary, and always pair him with an ally who increases the chance of him hitting a high D20 roll. Then, fire away at the most powerful opponent.
Why my #1? Yes, sometimes D.D. is completely useless, but imagine your opponent’s surprise when Krug, Cyprien, or Carr gets a bullet through the head. That will change a game plan quickly.

2. Syvarris
A close runner-up to #1, Syvarris is actually useful more often than Deadeye. He can shoot twice per turn from a range of 9. To put this in perspective to new players, he has a fairly good chance of killing ALL of several squads before they can get close enough to touch him.
Need I say more? Ok, one more. Bolster him with Kyntela Gwyn.

3. Major Q9
Major Q9 barely beats his Q counterpart, but the ability to fire multiple times at multiple targets and choose the strength of each attack is just more important to me when I may need him to save the day.

4. Major Q10
He has the same range and attack as Q9, but his rocket attack is indiscriminate. However, if you can position him to fire into your opponent while your opponent is bunched up, he can easily cause more chaos than the top 3 heroes.

5. Deathwalker 9000
A staple since the beginning, bolster him with Raelin and he’s close to being another Q10. Unfortunately, as Rÿchean points out, there is no ally that will increase his range.

6. Deathwalker 8000
Follow the same steps as DW9000 then add an ally who increases attack power and he’s a variation of Q9.

7. Kaemon Awa
Good at long range, he can also take care of himself in close quarters

8. Warden 816
He’s even better if you have a Dumutef Guard or two to back him up.

9. James Murphy
Same as Kaemon Awa, but with 2 less attack power. His biggest advantage would be in close range where he can stun his opponent. Then again, close range isn’t the point of this list.

10. Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan
The shotgun is great if your opponent tends to cluster.

11. Guilty McCreech
Try to draft Syvarris instead.

12. Ulginesh
Bolster him with Kyntela. If you’re quick enough to get him, Kyntela, AND Syvarris, try finding two high points and let your opponent have it. Ulginesh’s flight abiliaty also allows him to bail if the opponent gets too close or come to the aid of Syvarris and Kyntela.

13. Me-Burq-Sa
Great as a frontrunner of a Marro army, but has problems with hilly terrain.

14. Sonlen
The 3rd elf on the list. If you can draft him, Kyntela, Ulginesh, AND Syvarris, your opponent will have to get really tricky. Use him close enough to Dragon Heal the others, then Dragon Swoop your opponentALL BEFORE attacking. Now that’s some firepower.

15. Agent Carr
With a good defense and a good range, he fits into almost any army. Plus, he’s just as deadly up close.

Squads:

1. Airborne Elite
Just drop them on the high points and use grenades while you still have all 4 of them. Even if the grenades don’t work, they still have the largest range of all squad units. You should drop them on a series of heights where their ranges overlap if the map allows it.

2. Krav Maga Agents
Good range, good attack, and good luck hitting them before they hit you. Place Carr next to them and fire away using Agent Carr to help defend them if your opponent gets too close.

3. Aubrien Archers
I rank the Aubrien above the Microcorp simply for the amount of support the archers can receive. Otherwise, their range and attack power is the same as the Microcorp and the Zettians.

4. Microcorp Agents
With the ability to move through water, they will be in position in most maps before the Krav Maga Agents. Once the Microcorp get there, though, they will have less attack power than the Krav Maga. If you play an agent army, use the Microcorp to gain the heights first, then the Krav Maga to hold them.

5. Zettian Guards
Zettian Targeting is iffy, but at least their defense is no worse than their implied heroes. I rank them here because there are only 2 in a squad. When one dies, they change from artillery to snipers.

6. Blastatrons
Same range and attack as the Snipers and Repulsors, but their bonding to the Gladiatrons can make them more valuable to hold. Speaking of holding, if you play the blastatrons, gladiatrons, Q9, Q10, and X17, use the gladiatons and X17 to hold your opponent in place while the other pick them off from above.

7. Omnicron Snipers
Bolster them with an attack-raising ally (or two or three)

8. Omnicron Repulsors
Good range, but watch their placement.

9. Nakita Agents / Gorillinators
If you’re going to play one, you might as well get them both. Good maneuverability, good defense, and the ability to fire 3 times and move 6 characters in one turn.

10. Marro Warriors
I can’t tell you how many times opponents have hated me because I left one warrior in a well- defended water tile and divided it. Never count these guys out until you’ve destroyed all of them. Plus, they provide great backup for Me-Burq-Sa.

11. 4th Massachusetts Line / 10th Regiment of Foot
If you can find a good, defensible line, these groups are steady, especially in mass numbers.

12. Tagawa Samurai Archers / Ashigaru Harquebus
The archers have both range AND counterstrike. Plus, either unit can be used with Kato for a mind-bending number of times to fire.

13. Roman Archers
Put them behind the Legion and let the arrows black out the sun.

14. Mohican River Tribe
They’re rookies on the scene, but useful in a fight.

15. Arrow Gruts
With a Swog rider or two, they can be even more powerful.

**Note that I do not include flag bearers, exclusive units, the Marvel set, and the large “Aquilla’s Alliance” expansion pack since I do not currently own any of them. If someone would like to send me one (or sell me one for a reasonable price), I will gladly re-run the numbers and reevaluate the findings.

Paul Gamble <><

Last edited by gambl009; July 17th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM

teasedbyeldgrim is surprisingly tart
Re: Determining the Best Use of Units: Artillery

I always enjoy reading strategy articles. Thank you! I wanted to point out that Nakitas only have gorillinator movement bonding, so you don't get 6 attacks per round. Still you do get to move six figures, which makes this a very speedy combination.
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great article....But Agent Carr doesn't have stealth dodge.

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old July 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambl009 View Post
5. Deathwalker 9000A staple since the beginning, bolster him with a range-increasing ally and Raelin and he’s another Q10.
There is no "ally" or unit in the game that can increase DW9K's range.

I like the write up but there are several errors.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks to teasedbyeldgrim, boromir96, and Rÿchean for helping edit this post.

Paul Gamble <><
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:00 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Good read. What you have pointed out I have noticed on the game board several times. It makes a lot of sense the way you have broken it down too. I like to see the elves on the list because they don't seem to get a lot of love.
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
There is one drawback to artillery, though. Usually, they don’t rank high on defense, so if you’re planning for a prolonged bombardment instead of a quick burst of fire, you need to support them with some defensive units.
Majors Q9 and Q10 (as you've noted with their high placement among the heroes) are really good exceptions to this rule.

I love me some Deadeye, but I wouldn't have put him at #1. Q9 or the DW9000 are my #'s 1 and 2. Also, the Airborne are sweet...when they drop and gain initiative. The Krav are forever the top ranged squad in my book.

Sorry if that came off as nit-picking! This was a refreshing break-down of niches within the game.** I really enjoyed the read and look forward to you following up with infantry, cavalry and cheerleader analysis.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!

Last edited by nate the dawg; July 18th, 2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: **Not to knock 'What's in an OM'; That one's probably the best overall strategy article posted on this site!
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

Very interesting, will you do more for the other 3 types?

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:09 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It stinks that you don't have the flag-bearers (Laglor, specifically). Wish I had the extra to donate! If you get some play with Laglor boosting Vydar's ranged squads, I think that they will definitely move up on your list.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
It stinks that you don't have the flag-bearers (Laglor, specifically). Wish I had the extra to donate! If you get some play with Laglor boosting Vydar's ranged squads, I think that they will definitely move up on your list.
I would imagine that the flag bearers and the Aquilla's Alliance set would greatly upset some of the rankings.

Paul Gamble <><
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthflagbearer View Post
Very interesting, will you do more for the other 3 types?
Yes, I have all of the units typed up already, but I wanted to get some feedback on this post before just bombarding the forum with all 4. Plus, if you enjoy the articles, you might enjoy a new version of game play that I am using. That will be the last of the posts.

Paul Gamble <><
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Quote:
Majors Q9 and Q10 (as you've noted with their high placement among the heroes) are really good exceptions to this rule.

I love me some Deadeye, but I wouldn't have put him at #1. Q9 or the DW9000 are my #'s 1 and 2. Also, the Airborne are sweet...when they drop and gain initiative. The Krav are forever the top ranged squad in my book.

Sorry if that came off as nit-picking! This was a refreshing break-down of niches within the game.** I really enjoyed the read and look forward to you following up with infantry, cavalry and cheerleader analysis.
In general, let me say thank you for people being kind about pointing out my post's flaws instead of just fussing.
Now, the ONLY reason I have DD as my #1 is for the times he has changed my gameplan. Normally, I draft him as a long shot. But, oh the sweet sweet look on an opponent's face when he manages to sniper Krug or one of those "biggies." Seriously, EVERYONE draft him, pray for a lucky D20 (or grab the glyph) and enjoy it for yourself.
For the AE, I love them, but I just can't trust their drop. I've also had too many games when they drop too late to do what I had planned. (The same thing happens to me with the Rechets. So what are your top 10?

Paul Gamble <><

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles