Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
My Way Of Drafting: Wave 8 And 7.5 Example

Now here's my way of drafting. It may not seem perfect, since I've only tried this way once (for now (5/25/08 ), but it worked great and was a lot of fun. This is very similar to drafting Magic Cards. And this info, is not just on how to do it, but it will use the figures, players, terrain, etc. that I'm going to use in a Wave 8 draft I'll do as an example:

Alright, so first you need to know your players entering. I have 8 (a good even number). Here's the people that will be in mine:
1.) Cody (Cleon)
2.) Bob (my dad)
3.) Brandyn (my bro)
4.) John (my cousin)
5.) Pat
6.) Spencer
7.) Cameron
8.) Ryan
(5.-8. are friends)
Second, you need the packs you'll draft with (and you mostlikly need to modify them). You need to divide it out evenly throughout the players. I'm using 8 players so I need to choose an amout that is divisible by 8. I chose 16, so each player gets 2 packs, therefore we will draft 2 rounds (I'll get on to that). Here's the 16:
Wave 8: Soldiers And Wolves, Elves, Heroes Of The MS, Marro Cavalry All x3
Aquilla's Alliance Pack (I consider it apart of wave 8. Since it's not coming out the way it's suppose to, I'll just take all the figures from it once they come out and pair them together in a pack) x3
Now this equals a total of 15 packs, so I'll add one of the newer, more flexible packs - Wave 7 hero pack. So there's my 16. Now I need to modify some of them, because it's not good to draft packs with only 1 to 2 figures in them (because then the pack becomes an "empty pack" quickly). So I'll add some good, flexible (newer)figures/squads to them. I'll add a (newer, you want to do a draft on all of the newer figures so people won't just pick good figures because nobody knows who dominates and who doesn't) hero figure to each of my Soldier and Wolves pack - how about Master Woo. I'll incorporate the new spiders with the marro pack and add a filler unit - Isamu/Marcu (this is kind of complex, I'll add marcu to 2/3 of that pack and I'll add Isamu to only one of them because I'm already drafting an Isamu), therefore we're drafting 2 Isamus and 2 Marcus in total. The other packs I'll leave alone because they all include 4+ cards, which is enough. So here are my modified packs:
(*=added figures/cards)
1. Soldiers And Wolves x3 (Includes: 10th Fegiment Of Foot, Wolves Of Badru, *Master Win Chiu Woo)
2. Marro Cavalry x3 (Includes: Grok Riders , *Fyorlag Spiders, *Marcu Esenwein/*Isamu (Marcu in 2/3 Packs, Isamu in 1/3 Packs))
3. Elves x3 (Includes: Ulginesh, Jorhdawn, Arkmer, Emirroon)
4. Heroes Of The Molten Sea x3 (Includes: Sir Dupuis, Kato Katsuro, Moriko, Otonashi, Chardris)
5. Aquilla’s Alliance x3 (Includes: Wo-Sa-Ga, Zetacron, Gurei-Oni, Sujoah, Zelrig)
6. Heroes Of Elswin x1 (Includes: Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Warden 816, Kyntela Gwyn, Isamu)

Now that we have our packs, it's time to actually draft them! First you need to figure out who gets what. For this occasion, I'll keep the backs/boxes of each pack and through them into a big bag. NOT AA, since it's one of the more "special/better" of the packs. Before picking, have each player roll the D20 and the highest 3 have the decision of having AA as one of their packs. Then, the other players (that didn't win) roll to see what order they'll choose in. Say the order is Pat, Spencer, Ryan, Cameron, Bob (Me, Brandyn, and John won AA). So Pat reaches into the bag, takes a pack, then Spencer, and so on until all of those 5 have gone once. Then, they'll repeat it again, in the same order, therefore they'll have 2 each. If you did the math, 3 packs still remain. So the 3 AA winners roll to see which order they'll go in, and they then go pick from the bag until all 16 packs have been chosen. Now each player has 2 packs each, therefore all 16 packs are used.

After each has 2 packs, we all gather around a table or floor in a circle (or square if table). Now it gets complex. Round one, each player chooses a pack from their 2 to use for the first round. (I'll pass out the cards). Each retrieves their cards for that pack and studies/reads them. You choose the best/your favorite/the best for your army, card and put it in a pile that can't be seen (it could be under the table, on the floor, etc. as long as others can't see it). This pile will be your choices for making your army. I call it drafting points. Drafting points are the amount of points you are allowed to take for your pile. Your pile can't go over the drafting point limit. *Formula: drafting points = Total (of ALL) figures being drafted, divided by, the total number of players. I made a formula . Then, after you choose a card, pass the rest of the pack to the direction of the round you're drafting (you choose what direction your first round goes in), so say Round 1 is drafting clockwise or passing left. Then the next round is drafting the other way (so round 2 would be drafting counterclockwise or passing right, and then round 3 would be the same as round 1 (if I had a round 3)). You can also choose not to take a card (which is different than magic) that won't be useful for your army and save your drafting points. So don't spend them all in round 1 (which may be impossible to do, just don't spend like 3/4 of you points in round 1). Once all the packs are empty packs (all the figures are chosen in it and there's nothing left), then you start the next round. If there's a card that gets passed around multiple times and is obvious that no one wants it, then you can just remove it from the game. Packs can also pile up, like say one player is taking a long time with his/her decision, and the player that is passing the packs to him/her is speeding through them, more than one pack can be in waiting (in other words, multiple packs can be waiting for a player) They just must be in order from when they passed them, and they can't be mixed. NEVER, can a pack get mixed with another. So then round 2 would be passing right and will be the same thing as round 1.

When the drafting is done, each player chooses a 400pt.-500pt. (or whatever the tourney's points will be) army out of what they drafted. Then, it's easy, just set up a type of tourney (Swiss, etc.) and use the requirments like any other tourney - maps, have a glyph pool, prizes - and just use your armies you made from drafting. It's pretty simple.

Here's my information, so far, on my wave 7-8 draft, maps, glyphs, etc. So if you want to try it without having to plan it (the figures and points), feel free to use the maps and info since it's a great set of figures, etc. and will work out greatly/smoothly: (Enjoy!! XD)

"Heroscape Wave 7-8 Draft 2008!!!!!!!!

Hosted By Cody Lucido

1.) TIME: Friday, 1 : 00pm - 6 : 00pm (6/27/08 )
2.) PLACE: Bob Lucido’s House, McNerney Rd., Becket, MA
3.) FEE: Free (Donation: $2.00-$10.00)
4.) PLAYERS: (1 Official Scaper)
1. Cody Lucido (Cleon)
2. Bob Lucido
3. Brandyn Lucido
4. John Krebs.........._
5. Patrick Gigliotti.....|
6. Spencer Ferro......|______ /Michael Lucido; Allen Chague
7. Cameron Civello....|
8. Ryan Krebs........._|
5.) MAPS: (¾ B.O.V. thread, ¼ other; basically 1 of each terrain type)
1. Road Rampage (By Ch1can0, Modified By Messenger)
2. Arctic Divide (By UranusPChicago)
3. Hot Heights (By Jormi_Boced)
4. Shady Oasis (By Rÿchean)
6.) GLYPHS: (AKA Glyph Pool)
1. Glyph Of Astrid (+1 Attack)
2. Glyph Of Gerda (+1 Defense)
3. Glyph Of Valda (+2 Move)
4. Glyph Of Ivor (+4 Range)
5. Glyph Of Dagmar (+8 Initiative)
6. Glyph Of Lodin (+1 D20)
7.) PACKS: (* = figures that are added to the original pack)
1. Soldiers And Wolves x3 (Includes: 10th Regiment Of Foot, Wolves Of Badru, *Master Win Chiu Woo)
2. Marro Cavalry x3 (Includes: Grok Riders, *Fyorlag Spiders, *Marcu Esenwein/Isamu (Marcu In 2/3 Packs, Isamu In 1/3 Packs))
3. Elves x3 (Includes: Ulginesh, Jorhdawn, Arkmer, Emirroon)
4. Heroes Of The Molten Sea x3 (Includes: Sir Dupuis, Kato Katsuro, Moriko, Otonashi, Chardris)
5. Aquilla’s Alliance x3 (Includes: Wo-Sa-Ga, Zetacron, Gurei-Oni, Sujoah, Zelrig)
6. Heroes Of Elswin x1 (Includes: Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Warden 816, Kyntela Gwyn, Isamu)
8.) DRAFTING RULES: 2 Packs Each, 2 Rounds, 1st Round - Clockwise Rotation, 2nd Round - Counter Clockwise Rotation, 500pt. Armies, 820pt. Drafting Points (Formula: D. Pts. = Total (Of All) Figures’ Points ¸ Total Number Of Players), Double Elimination, 5 rounds (games).
9.) SPECIAL THANKS: Special thanks to Bob Lucido (Dad; Paying shipping plus more) for helping make this event possible, and Herocapers.com for resources, etc.
10.) OTHER INFORMATION: 5-10 minute breaks between matches, NO food or drinks in the playing room, snacks and dinner will be included in the event. ENJOY!!!!!!"

And that's exactly how I'll set it up (so far), and how I'm gonna do it. I think it will be the most fun I've had with heroscape (besides GenCon 07') and it will help me out with learning the new wave 8-8.5 figures for GenCon this year. Tell me what you think, or tell me any errors, and, try it please!

Results:

I didn't take any pictures when the event was going on. But I just took this picture 3 days ago, and yes I still had the results written on my white board :

-Score Board:

-Players and Their Armies: (8 players, 500pt. (limit) Armies) ; (this is from memory of 6 months ago , so it's definately not exact, and bare with me)

Cody Lucido (Cleon):
SuJoah 185pt.
Moriko 110pt.
10th Regiment 75pt.
Fyorlag Spiders 40pt.
?

Bob Lucido:
Zelrig 185pt.
10th Regiment 75pt.
Emirroon 80pt.
Kyntella Gwyn 20pt.
Arkmer 50pt.
Chardris 90pt.

Brandyn Lucido:
Sujoah 185pt.
Fyorlag Spiders x2 80pt.
Gurei Oni 100pt.
Jordawn 100pt.

John Krebs:
Zelrig 185pt.
Wo-Sa-Ga 135pt.
Grok Riders 130pt.
?

Pat Gigliotti:
Cyprien 150pt.
Wo-Sa-Ga 135pt.
Grok Riders 130pt.
Wolves Of Badru 80pt.

Spencer Ferro:
Wo-Sa-Ga 185pt.
Zetacron 60pt.
Gurei Oni 100pt.
Moriko 110pt.

Cameron Civello:
Sujoah 185pt.
?

Ryan Krebs:
Zetacron 60pt.
Emirroon 80pt.
Ulginesh 150pt.
Jordawn 100pt.

Scores:
1st: Cody Lucido (Cleon) - 3pt. still in
2nd: Brandyn Lucido - 2pt. still in
3rd: Bob Lucido - 2pt. still in
4th: Pat Gigliotti - 2pt. still in
5th: John Krebs - 1pt. out
6th: Cameron Civello - 1pt. out
7th: Spencer Ferro 0pt. out
8th: Ryan Krebs 0pt. out

Last edited by Cleon; October 29th, 2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: New Info
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
This seems like a great idea, and if they deny us Aquila's I guess you could just add in a SotM or other random boosters. Do you get to keep the figs from your army, or do they all go back to the tourney director, OR do the packs reassemble and end up on the prize table? Lots of cool variations with this one...
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
This seems like a great idea, and if they deny us Aquila's I guess you could just add in a SotM or other random boosters. Do you get to keep the figs from your army, or do they all go back to the tourney director, OR do the packs reassemble and end up on the prize table? Lots of cool variations with this one...
Thanks Jonothan! Drafting's really only how you pick your army, not how you play a tourney. Usually, higher up places in magic drafts get to keep some of the cards (figures in heroscape) drafted of their choice. Or you can have a prize table like normal. Since it seems AA and TJ are coming out like normal (YYYEEESSS!!!) then there's no need for a replacement. If I used SOTM I'd divide it into 3 equal packs. Before today, my origanal plan was to eventually do that draft including AA once the figures were released, and do a draft with just wave 8 in the mean time. But now I don't have to! What's very cool about my style is that you can have very many variations.
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Anyone else have any opinions about this???
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Well, this is a bit confusing, but I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds pretty fun...

The only flaw I see is that you say if nobody wants a card, then you just get rid of it... That kind of goes against the strategy of drafting in my opinion. It's expected that at the end of each pack there would be "dregs" that have to be absorbed. Since you'll have ended up drafting more points then you'll actually be able to field, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to have the extra squad or figure in there somewhere.

Additionally, I don't see the need to keep your pick a secret since the contents of each pack is common knowledge, unlike in Magic where each pack could have any of hundred of cards in it randomly.

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
If I can get enough people together (probably 4) I'd definitely give Magic-style drafting a shot. I won't have multiples of unique packs, but that's fine with me.

I don't think we'll be electing not to pick figures, though. As long as the point total is set high enough leaving figures out shouldn't be a problem.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker
Confusing, but I'll probably try it.

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo
Well, this is a bit confusing, but I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds pretty fun...

The only flaw I see is that you say if nobody wants a card, then you just get rid of it... That kind of goes against the strategy of drafting in my opinion. It's expected that at the end of each pack there would be "dregs" that have to be absorbed. Since you'll have ended up drafting more points then you'll actually be able to field, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to have the extra squad or figure in there somewhere.

Additionally, I don't see the need to keep your pick a secret since the contents of each pack is common knowledge, unlike in Magic where each pack could have any of hundred of cards in it randomly.
1.) If you want, you can make that rule for not being able to remove unwanted cards from the game. I'm a little iffy on that part too, I just really like the fact that you can save your drafting points. Maybe we can say that the last person that gets it has to include it in there drafting points or something, create the strategy of speed for picking so your not stuck with it. I'm really only going to do it for Kato Katsuro because there's not going to be any other samurai drafted, and he's a whole 200pt. But you can definately make that adjustion if you draft my way.

2.) The point of keeping your picks secret was for when you draft new sets that not many of the people know the cards already. But you can definately modify that rule also, especially if you're drafting packs that have already came out.

Thanks for maybe giving this way a shot guys, it was very fun for me when I first tried it, and I'm sure it will be fun for you too. Just definately plan your draft ahead of time, mostly the modifying packs part.
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit94
Confusing, but I'll probably try it.
Yeah, definately try it out, just really make sure what you're doing ahead of time. Tell me if it's really fun!
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: My Way Of Drafting: Wave 8 And 7.5 Example

This is a ton of fun. I've been using it with my roommate recently. In one 575 point draft he ended up with 2x Omnircons and Hulk! Risky but fun. I've lucked out a few times and gotten bonding groups. The best, though, was when he got Aubrien Archers and Venoc Warlord in the same draft! With an early discovery of the Glyph of Lodin he averaged a Frenzy per order marker.

Our latest draft was 520 points (we pick a random total with 500 + d20*5) I got

220 Captain America
100 Major X17
120 Marro Stingers x2
080 Deathreavers x2

to his

120 Kaemon Awa
080 Raelin (RotV)
110 Roman Archers x2
200 Marro Drones x4

My better drafting and play strategies have kicked his butt so far, but he's learning.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Haha, thanks Necroblade (sorry I didn't see this before), and thanks for trying it out and liking it! Anyone else tried it yet?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Baron of Beantown V

For our first draft (we chose random packs throughout 04 to 07 to draft with), I ended up with this intense army:

Braxas 210pt.
Omnicrons 100pt.
Marcu 20pt.
Brunak 110pt.
Izumi Samurai 60pt.
+_______________
Total = 500pt.

What do you think of that, I made it to the final round to, and I'm pretty possitive I won, but I can't really remember too too well. Yeah you guys really got to try this (like me and Necro ).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion