Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old January 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM

aquaone is surprisingly tart
CPSIA and Heroscape impact

The CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act) will take effect February 10, 2009. It makes it illegal to buy or sell any used product (toys, games, clothing, bedding, furniture, etc) that was designed for use by children ages 12 and below unless they are accompanied by a certificate with lead testing results.

Since my understanding is Heroscape is made for ages 8+ (even though most people I know who play are 25-35), it would be illegal to buy or sell used Heroscape product.

Has anyone looked into this? Does anyone know if it's sufficient for Hasbro to issue certificates about lead content in each individual product or do we need our individual figures tested? (I wouldn't think so and god I hope not)

If anyone on here has more time to investigate this, it'd be appreciated. Please don't react to my post in and of itself. I'm not trying to fearmonger or incite. I just need to know if we're OK or not.

*insert witty catchphrase here*
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: CPSIA and Heroscape impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPSIA FAQ
Under the CPSIA, the term “children’s product” means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger
I think it would be easy to argue HS is not primarily intended for the under 13 crowd.

~Aldin, old man

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Superm9 is surprisingly tart

I truely hope you're right, Aldin!

Star Wars
Battlefront II Fan!
Check out pictures of my custom Heroscape terrain props, maps, and my SWBFII mod map: Xagobah: Mazarian Assault here
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superm9 View Post
I truely hope you're right, Aldin!
Really, go read the CPSIA info on their site - it looks very clear that HS is NOT the target here.

~Aldin, unleadedly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As I've said before, even if 'Scape has lead paint, the kid that tries to lick or eat my terrain and figures isn't going to die due to lead poisoning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaone View Post
The CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act) will take effect February 10, 2009. It makes it illegal to buy or sell any used product (toys, games, clothing, bedding, furniture, etc) that was designed for use by children ages 12 and below unless they are accompanied by a certificate with lead testing results.

Since my understanding is Heroscape is made for ages 8+ (even though most people I know who play are 25-35), it would be illegal to buy or sell used Heroscape product.

Has anyone looked into this? Does anyone know if it's sufficient for Hasbro to issue certificates about lead content in each individual product or do we need our individual figures tested? (I wouldn't think so and god I hope not)

If anyone on here has more time to investigate this, it'd be appreciated. Please don't react to my post in and of itself. I'm not trying to fearmonger or incite. I just need to know if we're OK or not.
There is a product called Lead-Chek out there (I used to sell it) http://www.leadcheck.com/CircuitBoard.shtml and you can get it, use it (it is REALLY simple) and then Ebay your stuff with a certificate that you tested it.

As for WotC, they will have to do it, it's no big deal. The law says you must perform your DUE DILLIGENCE, so you simply test one out of each thousand with an XRF gun (X-ray Fluorescence) to determine the makeup of whatever you're testing. I used to do this myself as I used to represent an XRF manufacturer some time ago. You can then certify that no lead is used in your process, and that your product meets or exceeds the safety level of lead in toys. This is a non-issue, folks - all this does is give consumers a modicum of confidence that somewhere along the line SOMEONE may have tested your kids' products for lead. Now melamine...that's a different story...

Carry on!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old January 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well thats good thats its not going to effect heroscape hopefully, or else the hs trade an good trades thread would go down, and thats why some people go here.
This reminds me of a Tonight show skit, called "in the year 2000" where they said that in 2000 the Chinese are going to have two different types of toys leaded and unleaded,

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM

thezandcshow has disabled reputation

Well we should all know better than to eat away at our precious game parts. I don't think it's that big of a problem. Isn't the lead in just a small proportion? And besides, I usually see Heroscape sold on eBay in its packaging. What does it mean? Basically, it means that the eBay Heroscape business still works, and the only ones who would really be in danger are (hopefully) babies and our pets.

-Says thezandcshow, reminding his cat not to eat his Scapes

Do I really need a signature?
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

People are too worried about crap like this.

On second thought, whatever happened to Nene? Did the plastic (lead) trees get to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Here's a link to the CPSC page and their current interpretation:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

Of note is the 3rd & 4th paragraph. To me, the two are contradictory. The 3rd paragraph states that you don't have to apply new standards to old toys, but the 4th says that if you do happen to sell items that contain a certain amount of lead, then you can still face penalties. So how do you not face penalties? Test everything. Also, look at paragraph 6. That's a long list of things that resellers should pay special attention to and HS could easily fit into that category if an investigator decided to do so.

As for HS not being a kids toy, good luck with that argument. Doesn't the box state ages 8 and up? Who cares who plays with it, that Hasbro says that it's for kids as young as 8 means it has to comply.

Note that this is a new interpretation that came down just this week. Previously, everything had to be tested and resellers out there were about to be put out of business. This interpretation is significantly less stringent that the wording in the bill, so there's always a chance that the interpretation will change.

Also of interest, within 180 days, the CPSC has to report on how it plans on educating the informal reseller (eg, yard sales) on the illegality of reselling items that have been recalled. Since they feel the need to educate, I would assume that there's some sort of penalty for reselling something that you know has a banned substance in it. The fear of such a penalty is what the resellers have been so upset about lately.

see Sec 201, para 4 of the CPSIA for this requirement.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpsia.pdf

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:21 PM

timboy_1999 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaone View Post

There is a product called Lead-Chek out there (I used to sell it) http://www.leadcheck.com/CircuitBoard.shtml and you can get it, use it (it is REALLY simple) and then Ebay your stuff with a certificate that you tested it.

As for WotC, they will have to do it, it's no big deal. The law says you must perform your DUE DILLIGENCE, so you simply test one out of each thousand with an XRF gun (X-ray Fluorescence) to determine the makeup of whatever you're testing. I used to do this myself as I used to represent an XRF manufacturer some time ago. You can then certify that no lead is used in your process, and that your product meets or exceeds the safety level of lead in toys. This is a non-issue, folks - all this does is give consumers a modicum of confidence that somewhere along the line SOMEONE may have tested your kids' products for lead. Now melamine...that's a different story...

Carry on!
I actually have access to an XRF gun at my work. It won't do anything for clearing up whether it can be sold or not, but I can bring in some of my collection tomorrow and test a few pieces if you guys are interested in knowing whether HS pieces contain lead or not.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:47 AM

Sphere knows what's in an order marker Sphere knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboy_1999 View Post
I actually have access to an XRF gun at my work. It won't do anything for clearing up whether it can be sold or not, but I can bring in some of my collection tomorrow and test a few pieces if you guys are interested in knowing whether HS pieces contain lead or not.
I'd certainly be interested.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News