Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old April 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan

The Book of Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan
Jandar's Oath - Collection 3 - "Heroes of Nostralund"

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Growing up in the Republic of Texas, life was hard for little Johnny Sullivan. His family owned a huge ranch, which was constantly in danger from outlaws and cattle rustlers. Johnny had to learn early how to protect the ranch from outside dangers. His father taught Johnny how to use all kinds of rifles and six-shooters. When Johnny Sullivan grew up, he decided that he wanted to be a lawman like Wyatt Earp or Bat Masterson. He became famous for holding off a whole group of outlaws all by himself with his favorite Shotgun. From then on, all the locals knew him as Johnny 'Shotgun' Sullivan. (Hasbro)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - SHOTGUN BLAST SPECIAL ATTACK: clear sight shot.
    Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan's Shotgun Blast Special Attack requires a "clear sight shot" to his target. Does the phrase "clear sight" indicate that Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan needs only line of sight to any part of the figure rather than the hit zone?
    No. Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan needs line of sight to the targeted figure's hitzone to use this attack. (Grungebob)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - N/A

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - N/A
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Rankings

Jexik: Johnny "Shotgun" Sulivan- A fun, sometimes effective unit, but lack of bonding and/or multiple attacks leaves Johnny as a situational unit. B-

OEAO: B-

Cleon: Tier 5 (121/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Last edited by lefton4ya; January 25th, 2023 at 04:27 PM. Reason: vc added
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Utgar needs a cowboy!

Back on topic. I've only faced Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan once. Let's just say, I didn't see much of that shotgun of his.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I used Johnny in an 8 team tournament between me and my brother. (Each choose 4 teams). It was:

Johnny - 65
Knights - 70
Sir Gilbert - 105
4th Mass - 70
Sentinels - 110
Concan - 80
----------------
TOTAL = 500

Johnny was the only not valient unit so I had him leave the gate first and do as much as possible with his Shotgun Blast. I was pleasantly surprised when in the first and second battles "Shotgun" took out half my brother's army. Johnny was such a treat that my brother became preoccupied with him and I was able to get the 4th Mass to high ground protected by the Sentinels and Concan. In both battles I did not need to touch the Knights or Sir Gilbert.

This team was in the finals for the tornament, but lost when I was forced to choose another one and play my brother as this team. I think it lost to a Samurai team.

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
What is sweet about Johnny and J. Murphy in their basic stats are their decent-sized life points.
Their defense is low, but pair them up with Raelin and that 5 life keeps the lawmen around for a good amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon
They just need to make a cowboy squad with "lawmen bonding" and he'll, along with the other lawmen, be a lot more playable.
For their price, the lawmen are nice component to an army.
They don't necessarily need to be activated all the time or too early in the game.
Their 7 range (10 with DED) can take potshots from afar. When the enemy begins to close in, activate them for the clusterbomb (and hope for at least 2 skulls to be rolled )

The explosion style shotgun blasts of Murphy and Sullivan make them a very big threat to clustered armies. Their threat is as real as DW9K's, but they're a heckuva lot cheaper*, will most likely stick around longer than the glassjawed DW, and can be carried by the mounts (of course their susceptible to all the small/medium size-based abilities of an opponent's units).

A unit to bond with them might be a bit too much for their current price.

*Well, if Raelin is needed to boost their defense, their price tags snuggle right up their with DW9K's cost.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce3062
Utgar needs a cowboy!

Back on topic. I've only faced Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan once. Let's just say, I didn't see much of that shotgun of his.
Utgar should get an Outlaw rather than a Lawman.

Back on topic.
Sullivan was my favourite cowboy based on the sculpts but i'd probably pick James Murphy anyday over this guy!
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
What is sweet about Johnny and J. Murphy in their basic stats are their decent-sized life points.
Their defense is low, but pair them up with Raelin and that 5 life keeps the lawmen around for a good amount of time.

Quote:
They just need to make a cowboy squad with "lawmen bonding" and he'll, along with the other lawmen, be a lot more playable.
For their price, the lawmen are nice component to an army.
They don't necessarily need to be activated all the time or too early in the game.
Their 7 range (10 with DED) can take potshots from afar. When the enemy begins to close in, activate them for the clusterbomb (and hope for at least 2 skulls to be rolled )

The explosion style shotgun blasts of Murphy and Sullivan make them a very big threat to clustered armies. Their threat is as real as DW9K's, but they're a heckuva lot cheaper*, will most likely stick around longer than the glassjawed DW, and can be carried by the mounts (of course their susceptible to all the small/medium size-based abilities of an opponent's units).

A unit to bond with them might be a bit too much for their current price.

*Well, if Raelin is needed to boost their defense, their price tags snuggle right up their with DW9K's cost.
I was just trying to think of a way to make them more playable and to boost the synergies, but after you think about it, you're right. It may be just that I don't really play with them that often. But thanks for responding to my post. :P
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:

I was just trying to think of a way to make them more playable and to boost the synergies, but after you think about it, you're right. It may be just that I don't really play with them that often. But thanks for responding to my post. :P
Cleon, I happened to play my son and his cousin (both 7 years old) yesterday.
Between them, they drafted all four lawmen and a slew of other units for a grand total of 600 points.
I took 660 points worth of Zombies.

I've been 'refreshed' on Sullivan an Murphy and figured I'd respond when I saw this thread.
Your bonding comment made think they're fine without if they can get some of that Raelin aura goodiness.
I've not been a fan of Sullivan, but yesterday swayed me to try him a bit more.
Murphy? I'm hooked on him already.
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Quote:

Between them, they drafted all four lawmen and a slew of other units for a grand total of 600 points.

I've been 'refreshed' on Sullivan an Murphy and figured I'd respond when I saw this thread.
Your bonding comment made think they're fine without if they can get some of that Raelin aura goodiness.
Cool! Wow your zombies got taken out by the cowboys (lawmen) even though you had more points worth of an army. I guess I was wrong about the lawmen. They are good without the bonding! I see your point in this case.
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Emeritus Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cool! Wow your zombies got taken out by the cowboys (lawmen) even though you had more points worth of an army. I guess I was wrong about the lawmen. They are good without the bonding! I see your point in this case.
Well....I fail to mention I let the kids roll the d20 towards the end of the game. If they got 11-20, they were able to bring in Jotun for reinforcements. The rolled 18.

And I tell you, I've never seen such jubilant, excited 7-year olds in all my life. I knew I was handing them my possible victory, but just to see their eyes light up when they knew they were getting Jotun.

A defining moment for me, Heroscape, and children.
I wish I could've videotape their yells and jumping up and downs!!!
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:52 PM

bee is surprisingly tart
My friends and I especially like these relatively cheap heroes for fighting against the zombies, if for no reason other than who wouldn't want to see someone hold off a zombie horde with a shotgun? They work well against low movement melee units on tough terrain, but on level ground will probably fall.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking

Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan- A fun, sometimes effective unit, but lack of bonding and/or multiple attacks leaves Johnny as a situational unit. C+

NO DEDICATED THREADS
Power ranking of C+? Hmm...

I've seen Sullivan used a lot before Murphy came out and between the two of them, their use is about split since that time. (depends on if someone's got the 10 extra to spend on Murph).

Sullivan is greatly useful and is a cheap counter to armies that have a defense againt normal attacks. If you've got no other special attacks in your army, you must draft Sullivan or Murph IMO.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Slaader is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: The Book of Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan

I'm bumping this thread. Used all 4 cowboys in the Battle at the Border tournament today and Shotgun cleaned house!

/bump for love

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units