Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: mac122's customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
I really like Crimson Hawk! He seems like he would be really fun to play with.

I haven't seen his renditions, but his current stats look pretty good.

The only draw back I see, is, if you put him next to Q10 (who is also 150 points) Q10 has a lot on him.

3 extra range is huge.
Q10's SA his 4x with 2 dice (or 2x with 4 dice)

Crimson Hawk does have +1 life and +1 move

However, the Jumper Jets a freaking awesome! I love that sort of ability. And the reactor breach is just one of those neat abilities that if it works, cool, and if it doesn't, hopefully you didn't over pay for that ability.

That sculpt is bad ass too... I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that mini...

I think I might drop his cost a trite... Maybe 140? I don't know, I could be way off lol...

As for Ms. Alias... I have never seen the show, so I don't know what kind of flavor you are going for. The close combat ability seems a little "meh". I mean, how often are you engaged to more then 2 opponents? And I don't think I have ever seen a figure surrounded by 6... So I would say maybe:

If engaged to 2 opponents figures, +1 attack
If engaged to 3 or more, +2 attack

Seems like it would have a better chance of working and being fun. But again, I could be way off ; )
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm thinking I'm pretty close with Crimson Hawk - I hope to test him out today. As far as the mini goes, it comes from the now defunct WizKids Mechwarrior series. They made several versions representing different factions. I would think you could find them on eBay.

In Alias, Bristow was a super spy able to infiltrate and gather data and then fight her way out when discovered. I see what you mean about the close combat, though (I borrowed that from a Ki-Adi Mundi Star Wars custom I had seen). I wanted to represent how she would fight harder against overwhelming odds and give her a bonus for that. Maybe I'll go in between what I had and your suggestion. How does this sound: if engaged with 2-3 opponents, +1 attack die; if engaged with 4 or more, +2 attack die? My fear is, with her other abilities she may be too powerful at that point cost. What about dropping the +2 part altogether and just going with +1 for 2 or more?

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by mac122; January 3rd, 2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling error -1 point
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilsara View Post
I wouldn't say that Crimson Hawk is TOO overpowered- he's a less useful Q10 with upgraded mobility.

...Like winona said >.>

Nonetheless, the card is great, the figure fits with Heroscape, and the powers are very balanced. My only quirp is that he has a disciplined personality; I'm being picky, but he looks like more of a "Presice" figure. However, strategically, he could fit into a Greek Disciplined army at not cost... but... but...

Ah, sod it. +rep for you, and welcome to the the site!
Thanks for the feedback AND the +rep (think that's my first!). I have to say that the traits like personality are an area that I'm not as familiar with. I think I understand what you mean - disciplined would probably be better for a squad or soldier type unit. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll make that edit later today.

Thanks for the feedback! It's the only way us "40something" kids will ever learn! LOL
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Re: Personality

My favorite personality is Q10's... I mean... Merciful!?

Does this look like a guy full of mercy?? The only mercy I can find is the fact that he doesn't F- around. He doesn't let you suffer... Once you get hit by a mini gun and some rockets, there is nothing left to feel... Just dead... DEAD!

The only mercy you will find is the mercy of an executioner...

So, I say, make the personality what ever you like! I can see a Disciplined soulborg. I'm kinda thinking Robocop here. He had his list of directives and he followed them un errantly.

Shameless plug now... I am not getting much feed back on my new customs a few threads down, so, if you would like to check them out, I would appreciate the feed back. Thanks! (Damn you V! I never woulda done that if you hadn't shown how well it works! )

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
Let's compare Crimson Hawk to Major Q10. The good Major has two special attacks, each more potent than Crimson Hawk's pulse lasers:
Machine Pistol - Range 7 - Attack 2 - Targets up to 4
Wrist Rocket - Range 4 - Attack 4 - Targets up to 2

Reactor Breach has a 30% chance to do a lot of damage but only once and only if lucky enough to be in the middle of a bunch of opponents forces. If he gets caught next to friendlies when the fatal blow is delivered...

Crimson Hawk has one more life point, one more move point, and jump jet mobility, but gives up 3 in the normal range department.

Altogether, these seem like reasonable trade-offs to keep Crimson Hawk at Q10's 150 point level.

Again, I'm still learning, so anybody feel free to help me understand what I may not be seeing.
Thanks!

edit: If you still feel the price needs to go up as it stands, would lowering the life to 4 (same as Q10) balance it better for you?
Q10 cant move super easily like Crimson Hawk can.Crimson is a bomb who'll likely not be by to your troops if he can detonate any time.
The 5 defense is better with 4 life than 5.Look at Ne-Gok-Sa from the 1st set(look online if needed) who seemed to never go down.(he won a
game by mindshackling a dude and nobody would die...).All I'm sayin' is that you have to be careful about your balancing.So Q10 has several squad killing skills...I agree with that.But that set also has a way to stop
him...albeit expensive but a way.This guy at 5life/5defense means the squads can't scratch him.Plus the range of Q10 does little on those tinier
maps.(note: the castle will prove to make Crimson nearly invinsible at 4 or 5 life).Your guy is getting to be a good brute of a soulborg though.
If you'd like to use a custom for a Marro Drudge team you'll never use
look through my customs for a nice Shiori stopper!
Just thought I'd pass this along. I have been trying out Crimson Hawk against a small army including a squad of Marro Warriors, a squad of Izumi Samurai, Ne-Gok-Sa, and Grimnak. Crimson Hawk has Krav Maga Agents and Tarn Viking Warriors. Ne-Gok-Sa and the agents have been giving each other a bloody nose while the Marro and Crimson Hawk have been going after each other (Samurai, Vikings, and Grimnak haven't even moved). So far, it's Marro 3, Crimson Hawk 0. First time through, the Marro were rolling all skulls (baby!). Crimson Hawk went down before even getting close enough to try the Pulse Lasers. The second run through, 1 Marro went down before the Hawk, but the end was the same. The third run, Crimson Hawk got 2 out of 4 Marro before falling. Crimson Hawk was able to use Jump Jets to get height advantage on at least part of the Marro squad each of the last two times. The Reactor Breach did not go off any of the 3 times - though the last two times the remaining Marro were in range.

What I take from this is the Pulse Laser may have been watered down too much. I think I am going to try it at 3 range and 3 attack 3 targets and see if it helps. I think having to get that close, well within the range of a squad, it almost makes Crimson Hawk a sitting duck. And, while Reactor Breach can be powerful, it is by no means a game breaker.

Again, thanks for your feedback. Please don't hesitate to leave more thoughts on this unit.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
Let's compare Crimson Hawk to Major Q10. The good Major has two special attacks, each more potent than Crimson Hawk's pulse lasers:
Machine Pistol - Range 7 - Attack 2 - Targets up to 4
Wrist Rocket - Range 4 - Attack 4 - Targets up to 2

Reactor Breach has a 30% chance to do a lot of damage but only once and only if lucky enough to be in the middle of a bunch of opponents forces. If he gets caught next to friendlies when the fatal blow is delivered...

Crimson Hawk has one more life point, one more move point, and jump jet mobility, but gives up 3 in the normal range department.

Altogether, these seem like reasonable trade-offs to keep Crimson Hawk at Q10's 150 point level.

Again, I'm still learning, so anybody feel free to help me understand what I may not be seeing.
Thanks!

edit: If you still feel the price needs to go up as it stands, would lowering the life to 4 (same as Q10) balance it better for you?
Q10 cant move super easily like Crimson Hawk can.Crimson is a bomb who'll likely not be by to your troops if he can detonate any time.
The 5 defense is better with 4 life than 5.Look at Ne-Gok-Sa from the 1st set(look online if needed) who seemed to never go down.(he won a
game by mindshackling a dude and nobody would die...).All I'm sayin' is that you have to be careful about your balancing.So Q10 has several squad killing skills...I agree with that.But that set also has a way to stop
him...albeit expensive but a way.This guy at 5life/5defense means the squads can't scratch him.Plus the range of Q10 does little on those tinier
maps.(note: the castle will prove to make Crimson nearly invinsible at 4 or 5 life).Your guy is getting to be a good brute of a soulborg though.
If you'd like to use a custom for a Marro Drudge team you'll never use
look through my customs for a nice Shiori stopper!
Just thought I'd pass this along. I have been trying out Crimson Hawk against a small army including a squad of Marro Warriors, a squad of Izumi Samurai, Ne-Gok-Sa, and Grimnak. Crimson Hawk has Krav Maga Agents and Tarn Viking Warriors. Ne-Gok-Sa and the agents have been giving each other a bloody nose while the Marro and Crimson Hawk have been going after each other (Samurai, Vikings, and Grimnak haven't even moved). So far, it's Marro 3, Crimson Hawk 0. First time through, the Marro were rolling all skulls (baby!). Crimson Hawk went down before even getting close enough to try the Pulse Lasers. The second run through, 1 Marro went down before the Hawk, but the end was the same. The third run, Crimson Hawk got 2 out of 4 Marro before falling. Crimson Hawk was able to use Jump Jets to get height advantage on at least part of the Marro squad each of the last two times. The Reactor Breach did not go off any of the 3 times - though the last two times the remaining Marro were in range.

What I take from this is the Pulse Laser may have been watered down too much. I think I am going to try it at 3 range and 3 attack 3 targets and see if it helps. I think having to get that close, well within the range of a squad, it almost makes Crimson Hawk a sitting duck. And, while Reactor Breach can be powerful, it is by no means a game breaker.

Again, thanks for your feedback. Please don't hesitate to leave more thoughts on this unit.
This was kinda my point when I was saying he should be costed less then Q10. Q10 can stay back(7 hexes) and gun down all those squadies.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM

I've just updated Crimson Hawk on the first page of this thread. I ran him through some solo battles against Major Q10 and Crimson Hawk won 3 out of 5. It all came down to how much damage the Major could do before Crimson Hawk got in close enough to use his pulse lasers.

I think I'm happy with Crimson Hawk the way he is, but I still welcome any constructive suggestions.

I've also just updated my Sydney Bristow card on the first page. Adjusted the Close Quarters Combat and the Counter Strike abilities and changed the name of the first ability from Call from Marshall (non-Alias fans: Huh?) to Covert Surveillance. Let me know what you think. Also, would Tricky be a better trait than Relentless? Relentless fits the TV character but Tricky is used on the Krav Maga Agents. Are there more bonding opportunities for this?

Last edited by mac122; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Sydney Bristow update
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM

I've just added my second Star Wars custom - Clone Pilot Oddball.

I will post all new images and updates on the first page of this thread.

Thanks in advance for your constructive comments!

PS - Can't say it enough: Thanks to all the custom makers that share all the cool tools! Special thaks to whitestuff for his GIMP tutorial (GIMP rocks once you get the hang of it). Extra special thanks to GreyOwl for making all those borders, backgrounds, panels, etc. available to the community!

Last edited by mac122; January 5th, 2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: add
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Deleted

Last edited by mac122; January 9th, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: delete
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Already made an update to the Boss card. Double Attack was sort of ho-hum, so I changed it to Never Forget - an inspiration ability. Also, I bumped his point cost to 160 from 140. I haven't playtested Boss yet - I'm waiting until I have the other Commandos done so I can see how powerful the bonding is. Please let me know what you think.

Here's an update. I added Delta Squad under the figure name and referenced it in the powers.

Last edited by mac122; January 11th, 2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: update card
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Vilsara is surprisingly tart

"Never Forget" seems like a power that could only be used between figures that have a bond; perhaps you could change the power for that you choose a unique at the beginning of the GAME? It'd be an interesting twist on the typical "spirit bonus" power, and would justify 160- right now, he seems too powerful, but altering the power would lessen his worth just a bit.

Otherwsie, great custom, a nice mix of classic powers and a unique twist all your own. +rep, if I can hit you with it...

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilsara View Post
"Never Forget" seems like a power that could only be used between figures that have a bond; perhaps you could change the power for that you choose a unique at the beginning of the GAME? It'd be an interesting twist on the typical "spirit bonus" power, and would justify 160- right now, he seems too powerful, but altering the power would lessen his worth just a bit.

Otherwsie, great custom, a nice mix of classic powers and a unique twist all your own. +rep, if I can hit you with it...
Thanks for the nice feedback! I'm thinking Never Forget will be very narrowly targeted, which would diminish its value. I'm using the 4 Republic Commando minis from Delta Squad - Boss, Scorch, Sev, and Fixer - to make a 500 point army. Each will have Infiltration and Stealth Armor and then 1 power tied to their specialty (except the leader, Boss, who will have two). I intend for Never Forget to only be usable on one of the other 3 Republic Commandos. I thought about listing the 3 names in the ability, but it was very wordy and awkward. I was going to put Delta Squad under the figure name at the top of the card (where it says Galactic Republic) but I want these to be as compatible as possible with the cards that the Star Wars group is working on. Maybe I could shrink the font on the name enough to put Delta Squad between the name and the faction and then reference Delta Squad in the text? Any thoughts?

I'll be posting the next member of the team, Scorch, in a few minutes. Scorch is the team's explosive ordinance expert.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:08 AM

Here's Scorch the explosives expert for Delta Squad.

Thoughts?

Last edited by mac122; January 11th, 2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: updated card

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards