Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Too late for Claustrophobia now, I've invested too much time into other possibilites & gotten excited about grabbing Summoner Wars.

The shopping cart now looks like this (very Colby-centric, even without Dungeon Run):
Battleship Galaxies
Summoner Wars Master Set
Bang! Dodge City
Battle Lines (a Reiner Knizia 2p card game that's supposed to be really good)
_______
$104.96

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Battle Lines is really good but it's like a game you'd play with a regular deck of cards. You couldn't actually because Battle Lines uses 6 suits but it feels like that kind of game if that makes any sense. Just want to make sure your expectations are in line.

Summoner Wars is very cool but for me and my daughter (the primary game players in my house), we'd pretty much always prefer to play Heroscape. Summoner Wars for us is just for those times when we need a quicker, more portable version. (Although we might play it more if we had a real board and not just the paper one.)

As for Dodge City, I'd love to know how it changes Bang! I love Bang! but I haven't felt it really needs an expansion but then again, I may not know what I'm missing out on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Is Claustrophobia that much darker than other mini games, like Castle Ravenloft?
Yes. It's about killing Demons and a lot of the cards have demons biting / clawing at humans.
Though the minis and dice mechanics are great! I do really like the game. I just have to be careful who I play it with.

But I also won't play LNoE with my wife or daughters for the same reason. The cards are pretty graphic. But the teenagers love it!
I think the perception of "dark" is debatable regarding Claustrophobia. The artwork on the cards are borderline cartoonish/comic book-ish. I think the Troglodytes even lack a look of fierceness as they look like the Disney cartoon character, Stitch. In fact, that was what my girlfriend first said when she saw the troglodyte artwork on the back of the box, to which I replied, hmmm... you know what, you're right.

I have to ask, how is killing a demon in Claustrophobia any darker than killing a minion in HS who somewhat resembles the likenesses of the devil? Likewise, how is it any more darker than killing ghosts or undead in Thunderstone? Certainly, everyone has their own belief or tolerance for what they perceive as dark, but sometimes I believe it is not as different. At least, in my view...

On the other hand, I'd argue that Zombies!!! is quite graphic for young children as the event cards depict many detailed forms of mutilation.
I think you're right it is up for how one interprets things.

I guess the whole story line is fairly dark and the game does a good job of portraying that (which I think is a good thing). Going into the catacombs with convicted felons to banish demons is a little different that trying to stop Utgar from getting all the Wellsprings.

And yes Zombies!!! is not on any future play list with my family but I do enjoy it playing it with the right people.

@ Dad Scaper

Battle for Hill 218 is also a great 2 and quick 2 player card game. Hive is another one that's quick and a great 2 player game.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Battle Lines is really good but it's like a game you'd play with a regular deck of cards. You couldn't actually because Battle Lines uses 6 suits but it feels like that kind of game if that makes any sense. Just want to make sure your expectations are in line.

Summoner Wars is very cool but for me and my daughter (the primary game players in my house), we'd pretty much always prefer to play Heroscape. Summoner Wars for us is just for those times when we need a quicker, more portable version. (Although we might play it more if we had a real board and not just the paper one.)

As for Dodge City, I'd love to know how it changes Bang! I love Bang! but I haven't felt it really needs an expansion but then again, I may not know what I'm missing out on!
Hmm.

My thinking about Summoner Wars is that most of the games we like to play - Heroscape, Dominion, Thunderstone, Agricola - involve a major investment of time and surface area, and time to set them up and put them away properly.

So there is definitely room in our rotation for a game that plays faster than Scape, though you have put your finger on exactly the reason I'd delayed getting it earlier.

We play Bang whenever we have enough people to play, and I'd like some variety out of both decks. I'll let you know.

I'm not sure what to do about that last $10 spot. I wish we hadn't lost Colossal Arena, which is somewhere in my house, but I'm not sure I want to replace it, either. Thoughts about what to do there?

edit: Thanks, MM, I see you slipped that in there.

= =
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Oh yeah, Hill 218 and Hive are amazing and they only last 5-10 minutes per game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Added Hive, took out Battle Lines, done.

Thanks for your help, all.

= =
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Other great 2 player card games that I enjoy are:

Dragonheart
Lost Cities
Odin's Ravens (OOP)
IronMan Game of War
Incan Gold (can be played with more people)

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Other great 2 player card games that I enjoy are:

Dragonheart
Lost Cities
Definitely agree with those two. I haven't played the others so I can't comment on them.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Lost Cities did *not* do it for me. I did not like that game at all, & I'm glad we played before I bought.

Anyway. I'll post here as we play them.

= =
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Lost Cities did *not* do it for me. I did not like that game at all, & I'm glad we played before I bought.

Anyway. I'll post here as we play them.
It's not my first choice, but the wife likes it. We loved it when it first came, but over time it just doesn't hold up well.

Anyways, has anybody else had their eye on this one? It's finally out and I'm thinking it's got my name written all over it. No really it does, you just have to look closer.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boa...ding%20Empires

It reminds me of Catacombs but in space!!!!

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Too late for Claustrophobia now, I've invested too much time into other possibilites & gotten excited about grabbing Summoner Wars.

The shopping cart now looks like this (very Colby-centric, even without Dungeon Run):
Battleship Galaxies
Summoner Wars Master Set
Bang! Dodge City
Battle Lines (a Reiner Knizia 2p card game that's supposed to be really good)
_______
$104.96
I'll be ordering Summoner Wars Master Set soon and maybe Battleship Galaxies and Dungeon Run later on after I hear some reviews from people that have played it. I'm not doubting their fun factor, but I'll have to wait just the same for now.

If you like a solo or co-op game with another player, Lord of the Rings: the card game is fun. It's a little complicated at first, but easier once you get a few plays in and read the rules carefully.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Hackmaster +12 is surprisingly tart

D_S: BattleLine is a great two player game, but this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Battle Lines is really good but it's like a game you'd play with a regular deck of cards. You couldn't actually because Battle Lines uses 6 suits but it feels like that kind of game if that makes any sense.
isn't quite accurate. There are six suits, numbered 1 through 10, but there are also a set of cards that have special abilities/powers that change parts of the game. That is certainly not something found with a regular deck of cards.

For the record, some other good two-player games that I have are:
Mr. Jack
Martinique
Quarto
Elk Fest

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games