Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker
A former anti-D&D/HSer recants

From the get-go, I didn't like the idea of D&D Heroscape. I'm not anti-D&D; I've played for years. But I was against bringing it into Heroscape. I seemed like a move made for cost savings rather than gameplay. I didn't want fantasy to overwhelm the game (I still wanted historical, SF, whatever figures). I didn't want classic 'scape to get put on the backburner.

But in looking at the previews for the upcoming expansion, I've been blown away by the inventiveness of the game designers--the range of new special abilities look like they will add so much that has been missing from the game. Plus, the water elemental looks amazing!

So I was wrong.

D&D 'scape is not a step in the wrong direction. I don't even have the new master set yet, but I'm already itching to get my hands on these new figures.
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:20 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: A former anti-D&D/HSer recants

JOIN OUR CULT. YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.

But seriously, as we wargamers would say: Its ALL 'Fantasy.' That is, we're not kidding ourselves that we're reproducing history here, or the 'reality' of hard core Sci-Fi. Its a kids game (I'm a 57 year old Big Kid). That being the case, why be upset over getting new designs, as long as they play well in the Metagame (general mix for those of us who own it all, and in multiples to some extent)?

Question: Robots or Warforged?
Answer: Yes.
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!

I was concerned with D&D, but didn't mind it -- not like I did Marvel.

But I think D&D single-handedly took the game off of life-support. And I think it was probably the only thing that could have. I left the game for a while right at the end of the "ERA OF DARKNESS", ie. the long drought of few releases. What sucks is I stuck it out through the drought and then am playing catch-up now. Oh well.

I hope D&D refreshes the game base large enough so that we can see some classic scape again some day. But I imagine this is the ONLY factor that will let us see classic scape again. D&D must sell well. D&D must increase the active fan base. And only then MIGHT we see classic scape again. Just my thoughts.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM

dhunton is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
I hope D&D refreshes the game base large enough so that we can see some classic scape again some day. But I imagine this is the ONLY factor that will let us see classic scape again. D&D must sell well. D&D must increase the active fan base. And only then MIGHT we see classic scape again. Just my thoughts.
I'm a new HS player because of the D&D set, and I'm loving it... buying up everything I can get my hands on.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Scott knows what's in an order marker Scott knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunton View Post
I'm a new HS player because of the D&D set, and I'm loving it... buying up everything I can get my hands on.
Awesome! I hope there's a ton more like you out there.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunton View Post
Awesome! I hope there's a ton more like you out there.
But only if I can get my hands on everything I want first.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM

TheLorax is surprisingly tart

I'm going to half-sign this myself. The 3rd master set definitely had me skeptical, and while I'm still not that impressed with those figures, this up-coming wave definitely looks like a solid one. There are several new figures coming out that can compete with/counter some of the top units/army builds out there, which is very exciting.

I will have to play devil's advocate for a second, though. Imagine what we would have gotten if this WERE NOT a DnD set. I would guess most of the abilities we see on the figures now would have made it in, but with a better mix of fantasy/sci-fi/historical and everything that makes Heroscape so odd and unique.

That of course leads to the question of would we have even gotten ANYTHING had it not been DnDscape.

Either way, this upcoming set is definitely changing my opinion on DnDscape; some new scape is better than no scape at all, especially if the new figures are going to be this solid.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM

CriesJuggernaut Woo who?

I had looked at this game (classic Heroscape) for a while but never picked it up until Marvel came out. I picked up ROTV and a few expansions before Marvel hit shelves to get familiar with the game (not that it's that hard of a concept) and to have more figures and terrain for when the Marvel set was released. Even though I am very pro-Marvel I personally believe that it should be kept seperate from Classic scape thematically, and it was/has been.

When D&D Heroscape was announced I too saw it as a cost saving move and wasn't crazy about the idea. But I especially disliked that it was being integrated into the story as well. After the D&D Master Set was announced and released I still didn't care for it. Interesting looking and a cool concept, but I still wanted more Classic. However by the time the second pack of this expansion was revealed I had already ordered my D&D Master Set.

I may still not be crazy about the story being integrated, but the figures themselves not only look awesome (sculpt and ability wise), but they also mesh a whole lot better than the Marvel figures (ability wise and thematically). I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this Wave and the next and to more D&D Heroscape in general. Though I still want more classic (and Marvel if I may beat that dead horse).

Last edited by CriesJuggernaut; March 4th, 2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: made it easier on the eyes
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was never 'anti-dnd' per say, but I was fairly skeptical about the whole thing. I did try to keep an open mind about the whole thing. MS3 did not 'wow' me, but there was enough in it, at a good price point so I did buy it (twice). I do like a few of the units and really like the extra terrain. All in all I am pretty positive about MS3, not really jumping for joy, but still pleased, like a fat cat sitting in the sun after a good meal.

This D1 wave looks pretty good and I am pretty excited about a number of the units. I am also looking forward towards wave D2.

All in all, personally I think the DND move turned out pretty good. Some great new units, new terrains, new rules. I think it is a good thing.

Let keep the good times coming.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Bolo knows what's in an order marker Bolo knows what's in an order marker

Hurray for converts!!

More scape IS good scape.

If a chicken and a 1/2, can lay an egg and a 1/2 in a day and a 1/2, how long would it take a grasshopper with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a cucumber?
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I too was skeptical when I was informed of WOTC's plans. When the reasons were described to me, I immediately understood why this was a necessary move on their part.

When I saw the figures chosen for the Master Set and the restrictions on our design methods, I had reservations, but Colby, Chris and the playtesters are brilliant individuals. I knew we could accomplish what needed to be accomplished.

When I saw what was wanted for Wave 1, it was totally different. I knew we could design fresh and fun units with what we were given. Wave 2 was even better.

When I was informed that we were to do online scenarios, I immediately realized that anything that didn't make it in the core rules could be designed into the scenarios. This for me was the final element that sells me.

Since not even I know what's in store for the future of my hobby, I am going to enjoy the present. Of all the hobbies I have had, nothing brings more enjoyment than this. I am at peace with WOTC and their choices. I want to play fun games of Heroscape, and enjoy my friends.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As someone who initially was highly skeptical of DnD Heroscape, let me say that this wave has won me over. I reserve judgement on the quality of the figures until I see them. I really like the mechanics of the new figures and squads. The design and testing teams have done a great job at making new and competitive units that look to be a blast to play. If, as has been suggested, that using DnD figures saved HeroScape, we should all be grateful for the newest offerings. On top of everything else, there is another new wave planned for later this year (August). This has worked out very well.

This doesn't mean that I don't long for soulborgs, historical figures (Mongols, Huns, Aztecs, Zulu), Marro, ... Still, my glass is 7/8 full.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion