Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
I think the shades are some of the simplest yet coolest figures in the entire HS universe. Then again, I'm partial to cloaked spooky figures.

I love playing shades in multiplayer games. I love how much distraction and confusion they sow, especially once they drop into a swirling melee of multiple heroes. They aren't super powerful, but the scare factor is often enough to pull attention toward them and away from other units sneaking around the board to pick off ranged troops.

True, they are a bit pricey as cannon fodder, but there's more to having fun then dominating your opponent. My favorite is the one reaching forward as if to grab the opponent. It survived 2 full rounds of sustained attacks from 3 players with some truly amazing rolls. I couldn't help but go 'ooOOoOOooo' every time I rolled defense....maybe that helps.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatespuppet
I couldn't help but go 'ooOOoOOooo' every time I rolled defense....maybe that helps.
When I reveal an order marker on my Shades card, I speak a gravely, whispered, "Shades...."
I can't help it.
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
But they will, sooner or later, disappoint. At GenCon, in the Heat of Battle, I rolled nineteen times to soul devour Krug and failed every time.
You probably weren't attacking the Troll either, huh?
You're right. Krug in the center, surrounded by five Shades, but with a couple of enemy gruts (or something, I don't remember what, exactly) sandwiched in and a few more around. I didn't want to "pump up" Krug and had to use the attacks against the gruts anyway. Not a great strategy, I'll quickly admit. Some say, "Live and learn." In HeroScape it is more often, "Die and Learn." <grin>
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
I didn't want to "pump up" Krug and had to use the attacks against the gruts anyway. Not a great strategy, I'll quickly admit. Some say, "Live and learn." In HeroScape it is more often, "Die and Learn." <grin>
It would have been a BRILLANT strategy if you had just possessed that big Troll!

On a side note the very first time I ever used these guys I took over Syv! I never got to use him but just watching all those Ashra swarm and cut down there own elf hero was worth the 200 points of Shades!

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM

cephalodd has disabled reputation
Shades of Bleakewoode

I've used the shades many times with varying results, but they continue
to be one of my favorite units to draft. While they do tend to take up quite a bit of space in one's army, They usually more than make up for it.

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of 60 minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.

~C. S. Lewis
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I've captured Dund with them once. I've just recently captured nilfheim using two squads... and I only lost two shades.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The important thing to remember with the shades is that they do have stealth flying so one of the best ways to use them is on uneven terrain.So if a squad engages you you can escape pretty must unharmed. I also think one of the best ways to use them is to keep enemy heros in their place because their is always that fear of the soul devour working in your opponents mind.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
The Shades are a great place for the #3 order marker. They can fly in and engage a hero, then try and win initiative on the next round and hit Devour. They're also cool for the In the Heat of the Battle format if you can outcard your opponent and place the Shades last adjacent to all of their heroes.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:08 PM

StLouisBear is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The Shades are one of my favorite squads just for the fun factor. The look on your opponent's face when you take his Major Q10 and his teammate's Deadeye Dan in only two sequential turns makes the game fun even if you eventually lose. That makes you even happier than the previous game when you stole his Iron Man. Devour the souls of his squad killers then move in your Shaolin Monks and watch even the Microcorp and Krav Maga Agents run in terror.
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
In the last game I played, I Devoured Kaemon Awa and Cyprien very early, and I mindshackled Syvarris with NGS. On top of that, Kaemon Awa counterstruck Drake for 3 wounds, killing him.

Too bad it was a 3 on 1 game, since my opponents then collectively decided I had to die...

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM

OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
In the last game I played, I Devoured Kaemon Awa and Cyprien very early, and I mindshackled Syvarris with NGS. On top of that, Kaemon Awa counterstruck Drake for 3 wounds, killing him.

Too bad it was a 3 on 1 game, since my opponents then collectively decided I had to die...
I've never Had that kind of luck!

The only things i've been able to Soul Devour were the Tagawa Samurai and Krug........
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDino
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus

I've never Had that kind of luck!

The only things i've been able to Soul Devour were the Tagawa Samurai and Krug........
I had Spartacus Soul-Devoured on me once.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units