Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 26th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Again with "critics," as if they're all on the same team.

Three thoughts:

1) I never said you should care what critics say. For myself, I don't read much film criticism until, if ever, after I've seen a movie. It's interesting to think about how another person experienced the same film I saw. But I never said you should read more of them, or less, or you should care more or less about what they write. They are no more trying to convert you then Stephen King is trying to convert you into reading Stephen King novels. They put it out there; you read it if you want. No interest? Fine.

2) I was only responding to Yodaking's narrow point that he thought the institution of film critics was hostile to Bright because it is somehow threatened by Netflix success. That's nonsense. Obviously, from the critic's perspective, if there are *more* movies to review, that's good for business.

3) I don't know whether you care for Tom Vasel, or Heavy Cardboard, or DriveThruReview, or whatever. Maybe you think TV is simplistic but does a good job expressing what a game feels like, and maybe your tastes line up with the HC crew, or whatever. I don't know. But they're different from each other, and you know as well as I do that if a game comes out and its Metacritic score is "8.5," that tells you very little about the *actual* critical reception of the game. It tells you a bit more if you know the number from each critic, but what really matters is what each critic actually *says*. Film criticism is the same. Boiling the collected works of all competent film critics down to Rotten Tomatoes scores is unfair to the individuals putting in the work.

You don't have to read them if you don't want, but let's not pretend that all they offer is a combined Rotten Tomatoes score. Let's extend them the same courtesy we extend to the board game reviewing community.

Edit:

FWIW, I often disagree with what the majority of film critics say about a movie. That's ok, I'm entitled to my own opinion, as they are entitled to theirs. This year, I thought Jackie Chan's The Foreigner was brilliant, but for whatever reason its merits appear to have been lost on many of those writing reviews. That's ok with me.
I didn't mean that all critics are on the same team so to speak, but more that each one individually needs to be consistent with their personal critique guidelines. So Joe Reviewer shouldn't criticize one movie for not being original, but then ignore that criteria about another movie that isn't original. Stuff like that.

While I don't know if there is any "real" bias against the Bright movie because it was Netflix, it just seemed like it was blasted to pieces by the critics (this time as a team ), yet I've only heard good things from people that saw it. Again, when I see it, I'll have a better sense of whether it was a complete and utter mess that the professionals say it is, if it's great, or somewhere in between.

As far as board game reviewers, sure they each have their personal likes and dislikes in games and their reviews will reflect that. But then again, it's not their full time jobs and they don't review every game. It seems a different situation in several regards than with movies and generally people have to seek out a game review by those guys. It's not like with movies where there's a new game coming out and in big print somewhere it says, Tom Vasel gives it a 3 out of 10, while Joel Eddy gives it 6 out of 10 and Jon Gets Games gives it a 9 out of 10 etc.

At the end of the day though, a critic of any type is only one person's opinion and it doesn't make them right just because they do it for a living. So while their opinion is just that, just like anyone else's, collectively they can help people be more informed. That said, that only really works before something actually comes out to the public accessibility IMO, because once the public gets to see a certain movie or play a certain game, there are that many more experts giving opinions that are also worth listing to.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:30 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

On another note, we finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy tonight. 1 movie per day for the last 3 days. Wow, it's actually like watching 6 movies since each one of the LotR ones are almost like 2 movies each.

Great stuff!

Old December 26th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Prickly Cactus

Just took my daughters to see The Greatest Showman.

Wow! What a great movie musical. Gotta love Hugh Jackman. Very talented and versatile actor.

Old December 26th, 2017, 05:05 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

I saw Jumanji: Into the Jungle with my nephews. Cute movie with some great nods to 90s video gaming and the older movie. Considering Robin Williams was the original character in the original movie, it tugged at my heartstrings a little there. Not the best plot and a little hokey, just like those old Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games. I loved the message/ lessons learned by the 4 main characters. I really want to see the Greatest Showman too!

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez and Stan Lee
Old December 26th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
I saw Jumanji: Into the Jungle with my nephews. Cute movie with some great nods to 90s video gaming and the older movie. Considering Robin Williams was the original character in the original movie, it tugged at my heartstrings a little there. Not the best plot and a little hokey, just like those old Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games. I loved the message/ lessons learned by the 4 main characters. I really want to see the Greatest Showman too!
I might take my daughters to see Jumanji on Friday. It looks cute and light fun.

Old December 26th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

A couple thoughts on critics.

One, there are, I'm sure, some aging critics that just don't get the whole Netflix thing, and do indeed needlessly feel threatened by it. The basic aging journalist that still types on a typewriter types. Or there are the ones who define a movie as something you see in a theater, and anything else defies that definition. Either or both might be biased against anything on a streaming service. No numbers or data, just a hunch.

The other is that I think there is a tendency to equate a high score on rotten tomatoes with "the critics loved it". I'm sure there are movies that have a higher average rating on a scale to ten than some movies that have a higher tomatometer rating. I don't know how The Last Jedi (the most recently mentioned "critics loved it but I didn't") fares here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has a relatively low average rating compared to its tomatometer score. It would be interesting to compare it to The Foreigner (the recently mentioned flipside of Jedi).
Old December 27th, 2017, 06:45 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Speaking of Netflix, after binging some of our favorite shows, the wife and I are trying to knock a few movies off our list that will be leaving Netflix soon. Last night we watched The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). I liked it and was really impressed with some aspects given it was made over 65 years ago. There were a few things that could've been done better, but likewise pretty much attributed to decades of improved movie-making.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:20 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Necroblade,

Back in its day it was considered one of the best SF films ever made. And it came from an SF short story by a major author (I forget who), which was also rare at that time. As for its age; well, I'm that old too, as of last Dec. 24!
Old December 30th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

My son finally got us to watch Your Name. That's a pretty good show. It's an anime about a couple of high school kids who end up in a freaky Friday kind of body swap for a day at a time.
Old January 1st, 2018, 05:43 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Also, FWIW, I thought your comments about fantasy vs. science fiction were interesting. It is curious to me that The Lord of the Rings stands up as great fantasy fiction, but it doesn't really tell us anything deep. It's a wonderful story, and maybe an allegory about World War 2 in some ways, but for some reason it always seems to be science fiction that's packing messaging into the material. Going back to Philip K. Dick, for sure, and through Star Trek and beyond. I don't know why it is, except that I agree it's real. Very interesting point.
This is an interesting opinion to me. I find a lot of depth in Tolkien's work. It is perhaps not the same kind of depth in what you find in Philip K. Dick's musings on humanity.

Also, The Lord of the Rings was not an allegory of World War 2 (Tolkien explicitly said as much in the foreword to one of the later editions). Tolkien had Opinions about World War 2, to be sure, but I don't think LotR was an allegory for anything in particular.

--

The Last Jedi
Spoiler Alert!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 1st, 2018, 06:58 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post

The Last Jedi
Spoiler Alert!
Since watching it Saturday I've really been trying to put words to my experience and I've struggled. I liked it but I didn't like all of it...I think you have done a great job of articulating how I felt. I think you and I saw the same movie. Other opinions I've seen seem like a different version of the same movie...a fact that's been very interesting to me.

Overall it seemed like a long movie and I'm not sure how much was accomplished in the progression of the story compared to the investment that we made.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 01:05 AM
Quest Quitter

My daughter brought Logan Lucky over last night. It was pretty funny. It's kind of like a redneck version of Ocean's Eleven.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies